The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 20, 2019, 06:54:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cthulhu nafl ftaghn! A Cthulhu cultist costume  (Read 787 times)
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« on: March 19, 2019, 02:22:41 am »

Ia Cthulhu!

Forgive the poor quality of pictures!

Below, preliminary pictures of one of the masks from the Cthulhu cultist costume I've been throwing together. The other props and better photoes of the mask must wait til tommorrow, with the better light (and the wearing-off of the Guiness and Kraken.)

So far, I have the mask, quite a fancy belt sewn together from two belts with custom pouch and potion vial in a leather holder and sacrificial dagger in a fancy scabbard.

A hood, sash to go beneath the belt, waistcloth loincloth-esque thing to go over trousers, and sleeveless wrap shirt have all been prepared, but need a nice dark green dye before they're ready to show!

This mask is a simple respirator design of reclaimed inner tube rubber, same pattern as my post apoc mask, two simple shapes sewn together along the front, with metal rings on leather straps bolted to the sides and elastic through the rings.

It's overlaid with green felt, and green t shirt rag-tubes shoved through paired holes. The tubes are spongy enough that friction keeps them from slipping.

A staff blank has been curing in the basement for three quarters of a year, after cutting from a maple sapling from beside the old dirt road on the edge of my property, and I'm beginning to carve it. Slow going; rock maple is well-named! I'll be giving it a twisted, almost tentacular look, then aging it to a yellow-grey with vinagaroon and black tea, with some copper sulfide added to the vinagaroon for a greenish tint (hopefully; it's worked before!)

Also planning on making a pair of goggles (I know, me and everyone else!) out of two small copper colanders, like this:
so as to give me a somewhat bugeyed look.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 02:47:19 am by Kieranfoy » Logged

'Invoked or not, the gods will be present.'

-The Oracle of Delphi
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 05:09:51 am »

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your cthultist cthostume.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 12:48:30 am »

Here's a few views of the small Cthulhu head idol I carved out of local sandstone. Crudely, but I'm no sculptor, and it lends a paleolithic look to it.

Also, the belt with pouch, vial, and dagger. And two views of two of the masks. One has longer tentacles and is slightly better fitting.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:50:34 am by Kieranfoy » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 04:42:01 am »

This is going to be a costume and a half when finished, Kieran!
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 03:00:51 am »

This is going to be a costume and a half when finished, Kieran!

I certainly HOPE so.

The accesories are coming along nicely, it's finding decently priced fabric for the inner and outer robes that's killing me!

Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 10:03:39 pm »

One hooded mantle I've been patching together from old cotton canvass, largely as an experiment in tshirt rag cord applique. Will look much better after a bath in deep green dye.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 11:01:20 pm by Kieranfoy » Logged
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 02:35:18 am »

Here's a few views of the small Cthulhu head idol I carved out of local sandstone. Crudely, but I'm no sculptor, and it lends a paleolithic look to it.

Also, the belt with pouch, vial, and dagger. And two views of two of the masks. One has longer tentacles and is slightly better fitting.

They some what remind me of the Hexham Heads & The Hexham Heads (Fortean Times)

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 05:01:18 am »

They some what remind me of the Hexham Heads & The Hexham Heads (Fortean Times)

Huh.

Funny coincidence. Whelp, I WAS going for a paleolithic look, so I'm glad I suceeded!
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 12:24:14 pm »

I dig the concept and the execution is very well done.
keeping an eye on the progress!

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 11:07:04 pm »

I dig the concept and the execution is very well done.
keeping an eye on the progress!

Than, you kindly!

Big changes, old parts thrown out, big plans for the future! Will write it up and take photos tommorrow or the day after, depending on how much of my spoon are consumed by brewing up ragweed/copper/iron dye for old yarn!

Put simply, I chucked the old hood as the cloth wouldn't dye, replaced it with a KNITTED wool hood for the colder weather (believe it or not it look amazing!), and am putting together a small cloak.

Also have finished the belt pouch and a small Eldritch Tome (crude, but functional!)

Also planning a small lantern for wearing on the belt, stuffed with glow-in-the-dark beads for a ghostly green glow. Ideally I'd use fake glowing stones, but it costs money... Maybe ask for some for my birthday...
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 04:52:06 pm »

Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 05:02:09 am »

Great attention to detail, which will make the finished outfit stand out! I am a botanical artist/illustrator and use a magnifying glass to paint in the finest detail; you don't actually notice the detail until it is not there.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 10:20:51 pm »

Impressive, and I agree, very detailed! I'm quite amused by how happy the person seems to be at their face being used as a cover to the book   Roll Eyes.

Yours,
Miranda.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 11:42:11 am by Miranda.T » Logged
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 02:33:17 am »

I, too, was thinking that's a disturbingly cheerful Necronomicon.
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 02:41:16 pm »

Impressive, and I agree, very detailed! I'm quite amused by how happy the person seems to be at their face being used as a cover to the book   Roll Eyes.

Yours,
Miranda.

Ach, true!

To be honest, I made that face yeeeaaarrrrssssss ago, and never found a use for it. Better than nothing, I suppose!

The Book Of The Laughing Flayed Man. Sounds creepy enough!
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2019, 09:49:43 pm »

Yours,
Miranda.

Ach, true!

To be honest, I made that face yeeeaaarrrrssssss ago, and never found a use for it. Better than nothing, I suppose!

The Book Of The Laughing Flayed Man. Sounds creepy enough!
The Necronomiconvivial by the Mad Arab's brother, the Laughing Arab.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 08:28:08 pm »

Yours,
Miranda.

They were very well moisturised at the time...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: