The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 26, 2019, 08:02:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mystery Project [Headphones]  (Read 1126 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« on: March 12, 2019, 09:57:48 pm »

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 12:11:26 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 11:24:21 pm »

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 07:11:53 am »

Hmm, Edison screw component (?), copper, plumbing bits, a switch - it's a Steampunk Device!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 09:06:42 am »

A reanimator switch board?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 09:14:08 am »

Hmm, Edison screw component (?), copper, plumbing bits, a switch - it's a Steampunk Device!

Indeed it is Banfili, most definitely a Steampunk device! But there are no Edison components here! All materials are used for fluids of some sort. However, these components, once assembled, will not carry any fluids.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 09:19:44 am »

A reanimator switch board?

Well I could say that it's use could reanimate someone... Maybe even compel someone to dance in joy!

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 09:46:22 am »

Is it a musical instrument of some description?
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 11:10:19 am »

Perhaps a weapon?
That second bit of copper looks like and Edison screw, but just an ordinary screw-in piece. Hmm - I'm leaning towards weapon!
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 12:35:25 pm »

Wow, I can't see any of the pictures so it really is a mystery to me.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 07:11:36 pm »

Watching with interest...

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 08:13:00 pm »

Is it a musical instrument of some description?

Not a musical instrument. But pressure waves in air will be the main output of the machine.

Perhaps a weapon?
That second bit of copper looks like and Edison screw, but just an ordinary screw-in piece. Hmm - I'm leaning towards weapon!

It's a bit hard to see how you could kill someone with this device. Drive into madness is a theoretical possibility though.

Wow, I can't see any of the pictures so it really is a mystery to me.

Could be your browser's settings. These images are hosted by Twitter. The format of the pictures is .jpg, but Twitter has recently changed the script used to define the URL of the picture from: "https://pbs.twimg.com/media/image.jpg" to "https://pbs.twimg.com/media/image?format=jpg"

I think the browser may not understand the change in the script.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 08:18:19 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 08:31:05 pm »

Madness inducing machine perhaps?

Well, it's logical. There will be white padded walls against your skin...
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 08:47:31 pm »

Headphones.

Real vintage example:

Aviator's headphones had leather pads that surrounded the ears.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 09:19:01 pm »

Headphones.
*snip*

You're the winner of the $64000 Confederate Dollars Prize. I gave too much information away too soon  Grin

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 09:30:33 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 11:20:08 pm »

Dear ladies and gents, since Mr. Bowman has broken the Piñata and now the mystery item has been revealed, I'd like to ask for some feedback from those in the know of materials and such:

CPVC headband version

PEX-B headband version

The pipes are held with screws

Both materials have serious issues:

1. CPVC is very stiff and heavy, and the colour is more like a cream-yellow than the snow white of the ear pads. However it is very easily molded with a heat gun. You can make very sharp bends on CPVC with a pocket lighter (see headband slider mechanisms with the two short tubes). Can be fused with PVC glue and decorated with solvent glue, like paint.

2. PEX-B is soft, elastic and very light. Perfectly snow white. But it's a b$%^* to mold into shape. It takes a lot of time and a lot of heat to convince the plastic to stay put in shape. I had to use a combination of boiling water and heat gun just to approximate a smooth curve. It can't be painted or glued.

CPVC is a thermoplastic, which means that it molds to shape and stays put rigidly after that. The problem lies in that CPVC is a "hyper-vulcanised" plastic, where they've added chlorine ions to create cross-links in the otherwise normal PVC polymer chains. That makes the plastic very hard and somewhat toxic if it is overheated. It will become brittle over time. The cream/yellow coloration is the result of the extra chlorination. Besides PEX tubes, this is the only material available in copper sized tubes (which allows for a number of copper, brass and plastic fittings to be used interchangeably).

Specifically, PEX-B (shown) is a cross-linked Polyethylene that is sort of "waxy" and "gummy" - the same material used in ball point pen cartridges. Nothing sticks to it - you can't glue it or paint it. It seems that alcohol, can penetrate the surface and deposit ink (permanent marker) below the surface. You can, however, sand to a very smooth finish, though using 800 grit sandpaper. PEX has a "memory" in that the material can creep out of shape in favour of the original shape it had when the cross links in the polymer chains were created. If you heat it it will want to go back to being a straight pipe - but only the less-available PEX-A grade will return evenly to its original shape. The more commonly available PEX-B will warp back into shape unevenly (may not be a problem, though and even an advantage if you can introduce a permanent warp in an aesthetically pleasing way). Oddly PEX-A will turn transparent when heated, giving you an indication of when the cross-links have been broken; this does not happen with PEX-B.

*sigh* I've been at it for a long time. I was hoping to have this ready by SXSW (started this last Friday). That's why I couldn't write anything on SXSW yet. I've been working on this project. A lot more expensive and difficult than it looks folks. Appearances are deceiving.

In both cases moulding is done by heating the pipe and the cooling while holding the piece in place. In both cases the moulding temperature is slighly above the boiling point of water, so you really can't just cook the pipes like noodles and expect to get very far.

I have issues with heating the PEX without having it deform unevenly. And the plastic does have a "creep" or "memory," whereby it relaxes into whatever shape you give it, but  which thankfully returns to normal overnight.

Not terribly happy with PEX (notice the headphones are a bit more open with PEX), but the CPVC is unwearable because it is so tight around the head. Too rigid. I'm thinking of making a "hybrid" headband with both PEX and PVC components... Any ideas?

I remain AYS

J. Wilhelm
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 12:30:59 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 12:49:18 am »

More excellent work J Wilhem
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 01:11:22 am »

More excellent work J Wilhem

Thank you Ms. Annie. This is an item I will be selling online. The plan is to attach either wired or Bluettoth headphone pods to the bells. I really want to finish this now. I've overrun my schedule and I'm over budget!  Shocked

I plan to use good brand name headphone elements. I will not be re-making the speaker pods. No point. Many brands use perfectly cylindrical pods and those can be screwed directly onto the bell with a rather fancy attachment method provided by the bell manufacturer. But I will stick to JBL and Sony elements, because I don't want to use overhyped and overpriced (e.g. Beats) or no-name Chinese products. Both Sony and JBL make white headphones, which is a colour scheme I thought about from the start (I was trying to do cobalt blue painted ceramic-styled parts - that is still the idea).  

JBL is a well known acoustic engineering house and they sell good Bluetooth headphones at very low prices - they have great reviews and they sell online directly. Sony headphones (shown), you can get almost anywhere, and while inexpensive they never disappoint. Sony would be great for the wired phones.

I will use Sony wired headphones and JBL Bluetooth headphones
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:19:29 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 01:51:18 am »

Well surprised, sir!
They will look pretty cool when finished, I'm sure - "proper job!"
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 03:14:55 pm »

Now I can see the images (not sure what happened yesterday), it is looking very nice.

Sorontar
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 11:37:46 pm »

Well surprised, sir!
They will look pretty cool when finished, I'm sure - "proper job!"

Now I can see the images (not sure what happened yesterday), it is looking very nice.

Sorontar
Many thanks!

I'm still struggling with it and coming down to the wire. I would like to take the headphones down to SXSW this Saturday or Sunday. I need to add a pad for the metal braided headband. But the elastic headband is giving me hell.

I experimented with another brand of PEX pipe and discovered a technique for handling the PEX. It's still PEX-B but this new brand is of a higher quality and allows you to more smoothly bend the pipe without kinks. It's a trade secret I won't reveal it though, as it's a major advancement (no it's not anything you see on the Internet).

The other is that I made a pipe with "bi-plasticTM technology" and mated a PEX pipe segment to rigid CPVC pipes. This greatly improved the behaviour of the headband. It doesn't feel so gummy and keeps it shape while reducing the tightness around the head. I like it but the process of making was hellish because I didn't know how to do it at first. And the pipe ended up about an inch shorter than I had planned. I have an idea of how to avoid that much work for the next one (I might do this right now) But this is what I made yesterday:

Bi-PlasticTM Technology  Tongue

I'm still sweating bullets, though. I have to decide in the next few hours if I want to pay $25 to go to SXSW. Tomorrow at the latest I would need to make a final decision.

EDIT:

I've redone the Bi-Plastic band. To the correct length. I think I may have a final version here. It will require a jig to align the parts and screws to hold the PEX in place. Three trade secrets involved in doing this right.

Second version of Bi-Plastic

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:03:21 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 12:26:31 am »

They are looking really good; I particularly like the conical earpieces. Good luck with getting them finalised for the event  Smiley

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 01:49:32 am »

They are looking really good; I particularly like the conical earpieces. Good luck with getting them finalised for the event  Smiley

Yours,
Miranda.

Thank you dear Miranda! I will go this Sunday and because I have to pick up the silly wristband in person by Saturday, I will also go on Saturday to browse around. In full uniform TBD!

There will be in fact a second lighter version of the headphones using the same bells and ball joint system. The difference will be the sliding mechanisms involving a different method and it will only have one plastic headband without the braided steel pipe. No copper bits or perhaps just for decorative use. The focus of that one will be the floral cobalt blue colour scheme. But that will have to wait - that is an idea that came to me late last week. The Bi Plastic TechnologyTM will be put to good use on that one as well.

Now what I have to do is hunting for cables. I will try to find a metal braided USB cable to use for the phono plug for the Sony elements. That should be easy enough to find. I have to buy a second pair of Sony headphones, because I do like these folding ones for my backpack  Roll Eyes If I could find the Bluetooth ones it'd be better, but I don't think there's anyone who sells JBL in that model anywhere close by.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 12:39:52 pm »

Wiring this behemoth... Couldn't find a braided wire. When you need them , you'll never find them. When you don't, they'll have them in boxes a dime a dozen at Walmart like fruit at an outdoor market

There's still a lot to do. The screws for the "bi plastic tube" are not installed yet. Also I need to figure out a way to fix the black cable, so it doesn't rip out, and I need to fineagle a pad attached to the metal braided headband. Maybe a piece of padded suede

And I need to go to bed now. It's almost 6am already!  Shocked
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2019, 12:52:23 am »

The quality of materials matters. Don't be afraid of using different colors or materials. Embrace texture

Every square inch should be beautiful when viewed from any angle. Only then will you capture people's imagination

Haute Steampunk? Waterloo Soundwerks, Spring/Summer 2020

EDITED due to failure in image server...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 09:44:58 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2019, 09:40:53 pm »

They are looking really good; I particularly like the conical earpieces. Good luck with getting them finalised for the event  Smiley

Yours,
Miranda.

Managed to take the phones to SXSW, and even had a photographer snap shots of me in full uniform with the headphones.

I added a small leather pad to the headband. The headphones work very well, but they are, as expected, very heavy. The sliding mechanism works entirely by friction, which is a pleasant surprise - very easy to slide by hand, but once you place the weight of the phones on the band, the lateral forces of the "arch" are enough to lock it in position by friction! There was no need to "squash" the copper tubes increase friction. Friction only works on copper-CPVC. PEX is too slippery to do that. The plastic headband needed further adjustment to make it softer, but not so soft that the headphones fall from your head. It's a very tricky balance... I think I want to increase the size of the leather pad for stability.

I'm currently trying to design derivatives from this project... I want a Bluetooth old-timey candlestick telephone made from cheaper Bluetooth earphones. Very easy project, I just don't how it would sell... I'll make that in the next few days.

Added a leather pad to the headband... May need to be bigger.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: