The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 19, 2019, 10:27:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crest Charcoal Toothpaste  (Read 385 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: March 11, 2019, 02:51:00 am »

Once upon a time, before the invention of toothpaste, people used charcoal to clean their teeths. Apparently, Crest want to bring back this practice, backed with scientific claims of therapeutic whitening effects. Surprised me as much than the time a doctor suggested blood letting to cure some long forgotten illness:
https://ca.crest.com/en-ca/products/crest-3d-white-whitening-therapy-toothpaste-charcoal

Off course, we talking more about steampunk science than steampunk esthetic here.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 02:54:43 am by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 03:41:32 am »

Charcoal has a number of health uses. While it's probably a gimmick on the part of Crest, there will be some value to it.
Deimos
Gunner
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 03:58:47 am »

Salt works equally well to clean teeth.
Also it can promote healing of irritated (not diseased) gum tissue, remove some stains and discoloration on teeth.
It's widely available in most, if not all, parts of the world, and is cheap.
And it's easily carried with other toiletries when traveling.

People will almost always forgive you when you are wrong.
They will never forgive you for being right.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 09:43:23 am »

Charcoal, whilst theraputic in some ways, is too abrasive in my mind for teeth.and it tastes horrible!

I too fear it is just the latest fad -
I have seen a plethora of charcoal based products from China appearing in our local drug-stores , and based on the
track record of toxic Chinese products I would not touch them!

A Better alternative to regular toothpaste, I think , is the old remedy of using Baking Soda on your toothbrush as a dentifrice .

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 12:08:13 pm »

Charcoal, whilst theraputic in some ways, is too abrasive in my mind for teeth.and it tastes horrible!

I have seen a plethora of charcoal based products from China appearing in our local drug-stores , and based on the

A Better alternative to regular toothpaste, I think , is the old remedy of using Baking Soda on your toothbrush as a dentifrice .

yhs
prof marvel
Yeah. I will side with progress. Charcoal seems a bit old fashioned for me. What's next? "Grind your own paste from seashells?" Maybe sell imported Mt. Vesuvius pumice?

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 11:26:08 pm »

I'd try it. Just for the sake of it. But then I'm also the sort who uses doubled edged safety razors and buys cologne made to a late 18th century recipe, so it figures.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 10:14:52 pm »

yhs
prof marvel
Yeah. I will side with progress. Charcoal seems a bit old fashioned for me. What's next? "Grind your own paste from seashells?" Maybe sell imported Mt. Vesuvius pumice?

Whiten Your Teeth with New Coldgate Tooth Lye!

yhs
prof mumbles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: