The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 20, 2019, 09:57:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: International Women's Day: Trail-blazing women of Kew  (Read 388 times)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« on: March 10, 2019, 01:11:32 pm »

International Women's Day: Trail-blazing women of Kew

London in 1896, and a curious turn of history.

Women gardeners were employed for the first time at Kew, and on equal pay, decades before women gained the vote.

Made to wear the same garb as male gardeners so as not to distract their colleagues, their brown woollen bloomers soon made the news.

As the satirical magazine, Punch, put it, "They gardened in bloomers the newspapers said. So to Kew without waiting all Londoners sped."

After a blaze of publicity, the powers that be changed their minds and skirts were reinstated.
(c) BBC '19.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 04:47:49 pm »

There has always been more equality in the gardening world. It's free from politics, religion, war and gender agenda
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: