The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 20, 2019, 05:54:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need metal color ideas for steampunk trophy  (Read 639 times)
Kensington Locke
Officer
United States United States

« on: March 02, 2019, 03:48:17 am »

We are running a Splendid Teapot Racing event on March 23rd in Houston.

I want to hand out trophies of a big metal nut on an engraved wood base.

The plan was to buy giant nuts at the hardware store and spraypaint them.

We've decided to do 3 awards.  Best Time, Best Score and Best in Show

Time would award strictly on actual race time
Score would be by the STR scorecard
Show would be judges decision on best sport, car, whatever they think most merits a prize and didn't win one of the other slots

Since it isn't 1st, 2nd, 3rd placing, I want to avoid the standard Gold, Silver and Bronze, so we can do something more steampunk.

I think Copper and Brass are obvious choices, but what should the third award be?

Which color should go to which award?

If y'all come up with iron, should I paint it black (glossy)?

The base metal of these nuts is dull grey and I'll have to scrub and prime them first.

Our long term goal, if this is successful, is to start up the Texas Splendid Teapot Racing League (TxSTR League) and do multiple events/locales each year. 

Houston has been the lazy dog when it comes to Steampunk, so this is our chance to show those over-achieving Dallasites that we can get our feces coagulated.  Smiley

Thanks in advance to my idea-full friends across the Steampunk world,
Kensington
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 05:39:58 am »

When I think of the 19th Century other than brass and copper, , I always think of black or forged iron. Basically jet black paint for black iron and a very dark rusty brownish mottled matte black for the wrought/forged iron.

I don't see why a brushed nickel could not be used, then the colours are basically the same as gold, silver and bronze... Just sand the nut in one direction and to protect the finish spray paint it with clear coat.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 05:43:58 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 07:06:14 pm »

When I think of the 19th Century other than brass and copper, , I always think of black or forged iron. Basically jet black paint for black iron and a very dark rusty brownish mottled matte black for the wrought/forged iron.

I don't see why a brushed nickel could not be used, then the colours are basically the same as gold, silver and bronze... Just sand the nut in one direction and to protect the finish spray paint it with clear coat.

Hmm, brushed gives me an idea.  When I clean the nuts up, I can take a wire brush on a dremel to one.  That will either give me a nice brushed texture and/or reveal a shiny steel/iron surface underneath.   Which might look good unpainted (perhaps still clear-coated).

Nickel is also a great idea, exactly the kind of metal I couldn't think of which is why I needed help Smiley

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 08:37:55 pm »

if you clean the surfaces off right you can put scrap copper in citric acid (lemon juice works) and the resulting copper citrate will self plate onto ferrous metals. no electricity needed.

My instinct would be to do a copper coated one that is polished and sealed, another copper one that has a patina (with ammonia, baking soda and salt) for time, and maybe brass for plate for best in show.

Or , more literal you could do a plain coper coated nut for each, with a cherry or oak plug for score with a tiny plaque which can have the score etched on it (a dremel with a few minutes could do that if you've got a crafty person with steady hands), for time screw a clock into the middle of the nut, and maybe a mini magic lantern or kalidascope screwed into the best in show.

Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 05:07:19 pm »

What I've got so far:

3x 3/4" stainless/shiny plated nut because I couldn't find the dull, simple nuts

dremel wire-brush didn't do much on that surface.  I did use a disc to carve some lines on a bottom side so glue will hold better

3x 3" square wooden bases with routered edges

Found and bought Copper, aged bronze, pewter from the Krylon hammered product line.

Painted the nuts.  Bronze looked a lot like the pewter. Bummer.  Going to have to hand-paint one of the two to Brass to better differentiate.

unless I find a Nickel paint, I'll leave the other as is.

Next major part is to see if any neighbors on NextDoor have a laser engraver so I can write on the plagues.  Then stain the bases with coffee, assemble and clear coat.

If we get this to be a regular thing, I'll look into sourcing larger nuts and some of rovingJack's ideas to steampunk the nuts more.

Also, I really like the copper plating tip.  That's awesome.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: