The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 26, 2019, 11:03:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fake News? Try Fake Cats and Fake People!  (Read 556 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« on: February 28, 2019, 10:38:33 pm »

Frar Ladies and Gentlemen:

Just read an article on the most recent advances in the area of computer generated faces. Very interesting. There is a website called "thispersondoesnotexist" where you will be shown an artificial face completely generated by neural networks- based software. The engineer behind this website, Philip Wang, makes use of an AI system developed by nVidia. According to the CNN, " StyleGAN, the AI [system] is adept at coming up with some of the most realistic-looking faces of nonexistent people that machines have produced thus far."

https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/

CNN article on the subject:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/28/tech/ai-fake-faces/index.html

The AI systems depend on two competing neural networks, one generating the image, and another one trying to detect whether the image is false or not. Like a obsessive artist churning out portraits one after the other, and a loyal art critic giving his opinion.

Similar websites have popped up which develop artificial animals, such as cats, Anime characters, and even vacation homes...  Every time you land on the website you get served with a fresh image of someone or something that does not exist. Reload the page, and you get a brand new image. The question being, when will this type of systems be misused to generate nefarious videos featuring fictitious characters. The implications are enormous.

I leave this article for you to peruse, but not before I test your abilities. Is the image below real or false? Well, actually it is false, otherwise I would not be showing the image  Roll Eyes, but the real question is can you spot the reson WHY this image is fake beyond the obvious? Your ability to deflect future scams online and elsewhere may depend on your skill detecting these false images. It took me a few seconds to spot this a false image.  Can you tell me why?  Why is that an error? Not because some parts of the image were missing or "odd" in the "Photoshop sense" - after all, you can expect AI systems to evolve to avoid these glaring errors. Instead, the trick is identifying a specific mistake that will be common to ANY image generated by the software - can you spot that error?

This person does not exist

chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 12:05:20 am »

Astoundingly Realistic And Flawless !!!! Well, flawless at the exception of the transparent blister and wooblyness some of them have.

Can be useful in contemporary setted (and with some photoshoping, other setting too) forum rp for characters appereance.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 12:53:58 am by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 01:01:55 am »

Astoundingly Realistic And Flawless !!!! Well, flawless at the exception of the transparent blister and wooblyness some of them have.

Can be useful in contemporary setted (and with some photoshoping, other setting too) forum rp for characters appereance.

There's something else... an error a bit more subtle.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 01:07:12 am »

Alright. I'm being too cryptic. Here's a hint: everyone has a "favorite side' to their faces. But not all things have a "good side."
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 07:55:52 pm »

The mouth bothers me.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 10:45:15 pm »

The mouth bothers me.

Left side eyebrow and right cheek shadow irk me.  Like a bad photo shop
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 11:51:16 pm »

The mouth bothers me.

Left side eyebrow and right cheek shadow irk me.  Like a bad photo shop

Well, the thing is that those are efforts to make the image realistic. No human face is perfectly symmetric. So that discrepancy was intentional. But what about the rest of the picture? Edit: Annie, you're close. Actually the eerror is right on his face, but it's not his face.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 12:03:37 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 06:25:18 am »

The mouth bothers me.

Well, the thing is that those are efforts to make the image realistic. No human face is perfectly symmetric. So that discrepancy was intentional. But what about the rest of the picture? Edit: Annie, you're close. Actually the eerror is right on his face, but it's not his face.
Do you mean the 'shopped-in eyeglasses?
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 08:04:03 am »

Or is it the Van Gough  style ear  amputation? [that bothers me a lot]
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 08:39:23 pm »

Interesting.  Be very cool for writers or artists needing a face without licensing constraints.

But you can't search or aim the engine toward a specific type.  It looks like the system is generating one every 2 seconds and that's the only image on the site.  So take a screenshot if you like one, because it's gone.

The images seem like the AI is generating background content as well, like selfies and social media portraits.  I wonder if that was the sample set to train the AI.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 11:27:33 pm »

The mouth bothers me.

Do you mean the 'shopped-in eyeglasses?

Not only are they wobbly-looking, they're a different shape! The computer was trying to introduce small imperfactions like if that was a biological face. A computer should know better than to generate assymetrical lenses.

Interesting.  Be very cool for writers or artists needing a face without licensing constraints.

But you can't search or aim the engine toward a specific type.  It looks like the system is generating one every 2 seconds and that's the only image on the site.  So take a screenshot if you like one, because it's gone.

The images seem like the AI is generating background content as well, like selfies and social media portraits.  I wonder if that was the sample set to train the AI.

It's the background content where the computer makes mistakes. They need to train it to differentiate animate and inanimate objetcs.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 11:29:26 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: