The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 21, 2019, 05:55:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arts and Crafts  (Read 2078 times)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 07:16:35 am »

The stain shading looks good - how do you do that, rovinjack?
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2019, 10:49:36 am »

thanks for the compliments.

prestain the wood to minimise bleeding along the grain, use a fine tip brush or in my case paper stick from a cotton swab, draw a line with wood stain and then using the cotton swab end I blend away from the line in one direction. you can go back over areas to darken them more.

it works okay, I think though in the future I with go with starting by putting down a blended mid tone and fade on one side and then add to make darker on the other side, I didn't care for some of the lines on the mountains being so sharp.

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2019, 11:44:49 pm »

more pixel art designs for some of the themes of my Inspired Content 'review and creative prompt' channel.

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2019, 02:10:36 am »

I like to doodle with 'pixel art' on maths paper - it can be very soothing, although I don't normally start with any preconceived ideas, just go where the pencil/pen takes me!
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2019, 04:55:51 pm »

Back in the early days of the Commodore 64, which has a sparse BASIC language interpreter, that was how you deigned graphics. You drew and image on graph paper, converted the rows of squared into binary then decimal numbers, then wrote a program to put the numbers into the computer's graphic memory. Software was quickly developed to automate the process so you could draw on the screen.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2019, 07:17:03 pm »

years ago I wrote a story about a character who was an artist that made paintings that where made of pixel squares, but when you got closer you could see that each pixel was a bubble letter in a certain color, and if you you started at the top you could read a story in the work... In the story the pixels became a way of hiding secret data that was important to the story and his revival in the far furture... But for me I always liked the idea of a painting with a story to tell.
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2019, 04:12:04 am »

years ago I wrote a story about a character who was an artist that made paintings that where made of pixel squares, but when you got closer you could see that each pixel was a bubble letter in a certain color, and if you you started at the top you could read a story in the work... In the story the pixels became a way of hiding secret data that was important to the story and his revival in the far furture... But for me I always liked the idea of a painting with a story to tell.

Ah, yes, I love those old storybook illustrations that have so much in them - artists like Ida Rentoul Outhwaite, Arthur Rackman and the like. The more you look, the more things you see. Was my inspiration to become an artist/illustrator.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2019, 05:27:30 am »

so I've been outlining a story I'm calling 'The Goblins Daughter' and thinking about how it has points that seem to line up with a couple other stories I've been outlining over the last few years, and in an effort to clean up a bunch of one shot stories that all have overlapping ideas, I pondered combining a few... a bit of playing later and it started to gather up story after story as they all started to melt into this growing snowball. and now after playing with perspective on the characters understanding of the universe they inhabit, I have a monument to world building that has fey, were creatures, skin walkers, vampires, zombies, wizards, elementals, dragons, unicorns, mermaids, neverland, elder gods, high gods, realms of paradise and torment, sandmen and dreams, immortals finding each other and dueling to gain each others power by striking the other down, spirit animals, lost cities, and weirdly enough superheroes. The universe could be explored from the time of cave dwelling through steampunk, through modern and cyberpunk times into space adventure stories.

I've mapped the 'shape of the universe' and the 13 parallel realms that one enters by crossing thresholds of one type or another.

But I'm a bit stumped one some names (needing to rename neverland I'd imagine), I am unsure what to call the wizarding real, and I haven't crack what I'm going to call the whole of the universe.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2019, 07:01:49 am »

so I've been outlining a story I'm calling 'The Goblins Daughter' and thinking about how it has points that seem to line up with a couple other stories I've been outlining over the last few years, and in an effort to clean up a bunch of one shot stories that all have overlapping ideas, I pondered combining a few... a bit of playing later and it started to gather up story after story as they all started to melt into this growing snowball. and now after playing with perspective on the characters understanding of the universe they inhabit, I have a monument to world building that has fey, were creatures, skin walkers, vampires, zombies, wizards, elementals, dragons, unicorns, mermaids, neverland, elder gods, high gods, realms of paradise and torment, sandmen and dreams, immortals finding each other and dueling to gain each others power by striking the other down, spirit animals, lost cities, and weirdly enough superheroes. The universe could be explored from the time of cave dwelling through steampunk, through modern and cyberpunk times into space adventure stories.

I've mapped the 'shape of the universe' and the 13 parallel realms that one enters by crossing thresholds of one type or another.

But I'm a bit stumped one some names (needing to rename neverland I'd imagine), I am unsure what to call the wizarding real, and I haven't crack what I'm going to call the whole of the universe.

Any inspiration from HP Lovecraft's "Quest for Unknown Kaddath"? Or is this more aligned with Tolkiensian fantasy?

Your description of a map, including passages to parallel worlds somehow reminded me of the Dream World sequence of short stories by Lovecraft. You might want to throw in some reference to an Arabian mystic book from circa 730 AD and known as "Al-Azif" which was written by a mad poet from Saana (in Yemen) by the name of "Abdollah Hazrad." Over time his name and book would be wrongfully known as the "Necronomicon by the Mad Arab, Abdul Alhazred."
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 07:14:49 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2019, 06:13:24 pm »

I've never read that Lovecraft story. Sound crazy and maybe a bit of a mess.

My setting started with a bunch of unconnected stories that figured out how to share a universe.

The first story is a young man who lives with his adoptive father, who has been distant in the years since his adoptive mother passed away. The main character had a close friend until she was found murdered and her head was missing. In seeking to uncover who could have done it, he discovers she was part of a secret population of were-beings that live among us... and eventually that both his parents where among them; but having been adopted, he never knew and never went on the spirit quest to find an animal spirit guide with whom to join in symbiotic relationship with.

In that series there are spirits of animals and even people, vampires that sustain themselves by gathering and using the spirits they capture or drain, and a secret group of Hunters that see themselves as protecting humanity from monsters.

I'd had another story in mind that involved Hunters, and what I consider skin-walkers. Where a young boy is going through a rite of passage for young skinwalkers. Where, at certain times of years those who are coming of age fast for a couple days, before they are brought out into the forest at night to walk unarmed into the woods to seek out an animal that will be drawn to them, and then they must defeat the animal, eat it and don it's skin, gaining the ability to become it and communicate with it's spirit. The story is a conflict between the hunters and the skinwalkers with some shocking twists.

and there was a third series that is based on the idea of a Stage magician that gets a call to adventure, via a diminutive fey creature that mistakes them for an actual Magic user and needs their help, and thus the stage magician is brought through gates that open up unto another world that couldn't possibly fit within our own, where the people have actual magic but no experience with the seemingly impossible magic of the main character. The Main character becomes something of a private investigator.

these were the core that I started trying to reconcile, and soon they grabbed a hold of the story I came up with years ago that was a Ghost story, that I saw as an answer to the sparkling vampire silliness. And since I had vampires and ghosts, it seemed zombies were a logical addition, and so I figured out the rules and illustrative stories for that. And since my Stage Magician is mistaken for a magic user, the implication was that there existed real magic users... and so I figured out the rules for them, and some stories to illustrate those and explain why nobody in our world knows about any of this.

Then of all things I realized that with sort of parallel worlds for Fey and a secret realm that magic users can go to, I had 3 realms and a place where spirits go that is reached through vision quests, and it seemed like such a close match for a screen play I created for a class I took a few years ago in which a highschool boy was up late one night when he saw an intruder that seems to have caused his widowed fathers death, which police seem to believe was natural causes and that he died in his sleep, and in the quest to find the killer the boy ends up becoming a Sandman. Able to enter the dreams of others, he uncovers something that makes him aware that the realm of dreams exists between earth and the 'realm of unending dreams' a realm from which one does not wake... the land of the dead, or spirit realm if you will.

figuring that out and sort of mapping the realms in relation to one another I started to figure out other realms in the vast twining structure of this universe and then digging through story ideas for ones that met most of the criteria and soon there were 9 realms, and 3 forgotten realms that connected linear realm paths into loops, making 12 realms.

and the universe and the secretly interconnected stories within it pulled in a few more ideas, and then started creating some of it's own in response to questions I had about it. and even created a final 13th realm in an unexpected "of course that should be there" moment.

Edited to add- Yes there is space in the 13 realms for Gods. Dragon gods, Olympian Gods, Titans, Elder Gods, Primal gods and abominable gods... as well as rising new gods. The Lovecraftian style gods would be entities for all over the dawn of the universe, first lifeforms like the precambrian explosion of diversity in life if some of them had gained enough power to become immortal and powerful beings that could ascend to godhood.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 06:30:20 pm by rovingjack » Logged
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2019, 06:55:05 am »

I've never read that Lovecraft story. Sound crazy and maybe a bit of a mess.

My setting started with a bunch of unconnected stories that figured out how to share a universe.

The... SNIP

Able to enter the dreams of others, he uncovers something that makes him aware that the realm of dreams exists between earth and the 'realm of unending dreams' a realm from which one does not wake... the land of the dead, or spirit realm if you will.

figuring that out and sort of mapping the realms in relation to one another I started to figure out other realms in the vast twining structure of this universe and then digging through story ideas for ones that met most of the criteria and soon there were 9 realms, and 3 forgotten realms that connected linear realm paths into loops, making 12 realms.

and the universe and the secretly interconnected stories within it pulled in a few more ideas, and then started creating some of it's own in response to questions I had about it. and even created a final 13th realm in an unexpected "of course that should be there" moment.

Edited to add- Yes there is space in the 13 realms for Gods. Dragon gods, Olympian Gods, Titans, Elder Gods, Primal gods and abominable gods... as well as rising new gods. The Lovecraftian style gods would be entities for all over the dawn of the universe, first lifeforms like the precambrian explosion of diversity in life if some of them had gained enough power to become immortal and powerful beings that could ascend to godhood.

Actually your story is closer to HP Lovecraft's series than I had anticipated. The Dream World series, is a group of stories Lovecraft published before (?) he published the stories he's well known for. The stories are based on his dreams which he began to tie to one another.

The main premise is that sleep gives one access to parallel physical worlds to our own, and that only a certain kind of knowledge or magic can enable you to operate in those realities while having control over your faculties (non subconscious). Once you learn the secret you can descend to one of several underworld levels which have different types of of creatures, flora or fauna.

Some creatures are well understood from horror stories (eg werewolves and ghouls), while other creatures seemingly are off worlders (eg inhabitants of the moon) who come down to Earth to trade with the Terran creatures in these alternate realities.

The geography of one of those parallel worlds is exactly an upside down replica of the Earth, with the North Pole swapped for the South Pole. (Lovecraft regarded the South Pole to be very mysterious as during the first decade of the 20th century it was still unexplored; some of his Cosmic Horror stories involve the South Pole in the "Real World. "

Some of his creatures are well known and not scary monsters. In particular cats have the ability to travel between worlds, and regularly travel back and forth between the Dream World and the Real World...and they assemble in giant armies of cats who are able to talk to humans.  Cheesy The cats are also able to fly and cross the chasm between the moon and that parallel upside down world. Contrasting the relatively benevolent cats, there are terrible monsters that pose danger to humans, however. In particular, the moon creatures come down to Earth to buy hapless humans trapped in the Dream World, and these humans are treated like cattle, packed in crates for consumption and sold at ports along the coast. The moon creatures then return to the moon with their human cargo, and only the cats have the ability to follow them to the moon.

The other tie between the real world and the Dream World are the deities known to the these Dream World creatures since time immemorial. The gods of the Dream World are in fact the same gods worshiped by the extraterrestrial monsters which humans regard as gods or demons in the real world, but are in fact alien species taking advantage of humans (eg the "Old Ones" and the "Deep Ones"), which is to say that the gods of the gods are the gods of the Dream World (eg Nyarlathotep). From there Lovecraft's latter Cosmic Horror stories parted with Cthulu, etc..

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2019, 02:16:55 am »

that doesn't sound anything like my megaverse. Which I have figured out a name for: the Manifold Realms, or just the Manifold for short.

I think I may make a guide book and potentially an RPG sourcebook for using the Manifold Realms.

But basically there is, earth as we know it, and in your day to day life it is unlikely but possible that your neighbor may be a magic user without you knowing it, and when he's going out of town to attend a seminar he might very well be going to the basement of some pub and stepping through an archway before leaving the pub to ride a magic carpet to the capital building to get his alchemists certification renewed.

But that's okay, because theres an equally good chance that you might fall for some attractive thing at a party and the may take you to a park where you will walk through the middle of a ring of mushrooms and when they lead you out of the park you will find yourself in the 'farmers market' with trolls selling exotic if questionable meats, and the willowy pale woman at another stall has amazing silk like wraps which looks like gossamer photographs of trees and plants twined around silhouettes of trouping fairies. And the only humans here were raised as servents after being exchanged for changelings.

But then again maybe you will get caught up in a conflict between rival factions on your way home from work and become a hostage, dragged through a fog bank and finding yourself confronted by a 3 headed dog guarding a gate through which you are forced to travel with your captor and loaded into a boat with a ferryman.

There is a wild and untamed forest world, and a place where a crazy man has tea with a rabbit, and all of these and more are real places, places that you could enter if you only know where the entry place to them is.

there are 12 realms, some of which you can't get to directly from here. the divine kingdoms for example require you at least travel through a realm of paradise and hel... or you can go the long way through the magic users realm, which connects to a mysterious realm, and then through the Forest realm (with a garden in one area which contains two trees, one of which is rumored to grant immortality) which has a a five peaked mountain called by some Sumeru, which guards a pass between worlds... on the other side of which are the divine realms. or is you find yourself stuck in the realm of the fairys and goblins, you may find one who is willing to lead you to an island where a king recovers from his wounds, and and his knights who guard the pass between worlds and may grant you passage to a realm of wizards and magic users, one of whom may guide you home to earth realm.

and where is the 13th real, that is a true mystery.

There is a realm of the dead/spirits. Some go there, and some... come from there. and one of the realms in the mix is a realm of dreams; But it is not the center, nor is it the connector to all the others. It is one of many, One of Many. In a Manifold realms.

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2019, 07:54:16 pm »

so I've been playing with making a future timeline for sci-fi stories I'm consolidating into a universe and considering that I realized one big trilogy I have outlines uses some 'word play' on volksgeist, zeitgeist and weltgeist I went looking for a suitable term that could be used to describe the future history of humanity spread over millenia and the galaxy.

How does Das Ferne sound? I looked it up and Ferne seems to have a meaning that covers: distance, far lands, long in the past, long in the future, remoteness. Which sounds about right for the overall sense of my sci-fi universe.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2019, 02:59:06 am »

new week new project:

from a comment a viewer asked about including computer elements in a tabletop game, the conversation wandered over to some 80s toys that used VHS in board games. Which lead to talking about late 80s and 90s ineteractive toys. and me digging up some knowledge of how some of them works their strange tricks.

ans thus was born, interactive audio games (I can embed them with still images on youtube). the simple version just requires the recording (can be mp3, youtube or internet audio files, and a set of headphones. Ask trivia, make some puzzles, tell a story with choices, and the listener chooses and listens to the answer.

It's similar to my choose your own adventure story videos, but this one is a bit more restricted in that we only have two choices and can't sub divide after that. Because ... well, left and right audio channels. But if handled well this could make some very simple games that the visually impaired can play and share with families like we might play with simple flash video games.

down the line I think I will work on a simple controller with audio channel switching, and I'm looking into seeing if there are ways to record more audio channels on a single audio file and make a filter device to isolate a given track. Because I really want to make it possible for anybody to make and play interaction digital games that don't require video.

... and yes, about 1 hour into day one I started thinking about some video games that do a video version of this and don't have an audio component.

I've started scripting a demo story for the first interactive audio story, and am thinking out a second audio game for Halloween. and might make a few trivia games for fun to share freely. I'm thinking I might reach out to visually impaired youtubers and a few others who could help share the project.

eventually I'd love to create some tools for people to do simplified audio game construction.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2019, 03:31:10 pm »

It's similar to my choose your own adventure story videos, but this one is a bit more restricted in that we only have two choices and can't sub divide after that. Because ... well, left and right audio channels. But if handled well this could make some very simple games that the visually impaired can play and share with families like we might play with simple flash video games.

In the late seventies there was a robot quizmaster toy called 2-XL that would ask questions, and the user would select one of three multiple choice answers. The toy used eight-track tape cassettes, and when you selected an answer, what you were really doing was switching tracks. Here's a photo of the toy:

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2019, 01:52:16 am »

yup they rebuilt it a while later and used standard cassette tapes. you would only use one side of the tape as the back side was recorded backwards and the device used the two channels on the front side and the two channels on the back side.

after youtube killed the annotations on videos and made my choose your own adventure video no longer work, I contemplated a few other options. This type of toy is part of one of the ideas.

My rough draft is just recording a stereo story with puzzles that you choose A or B, and depending on your choice you listen to left mono channel audio via one headphone or the right.

I've been playing around with the idea of a plug in box with puttons and an audio out that contains band pass filters for each mono audio line. essentially allowing me to set audio in more than two channels that are switchable via buttons on the box. with a 3 or more channel device it opens the possibility to do podcasts and videos with interactive elements.

I do have a few other ideas for interactive choose your own adventure style and even simple RPG elements. I'll likely be fiddling with one of those this week.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: