The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 23, 2019, 06:00:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arts and Crafts  (Read 1250 times)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 07:16:35 am »

The stain shading looks good - how do you do that, rovinjack?
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2019, 10:49:36 am »

thanks for the compliments.

prestain the wood to minimise bleeding along the grain, use a fine tip brush or in my case paper stick from a cotton swab, draw a line with wood stain and then using the cotton swab end I blend away from the line in one direction. you can go back over areas to darken them more.

it works okay, I think though in the future I with go with starting by putting down a blended mid tone and fade on one side and then add to make darker on the other side, I didn't care for some of the lines on the mountains being so sharp.

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2019, 11:44:49 pm »

more pixel art designs for some of the themes of my Inspired Content 'review and creative prompt' channel.

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2019, 02:10:36 am »

I like to doodle with 'pixel art' on maths paper - it can be very soothing, although I don't normally start with any preconceived ideas, just go where the pencil/pen takes me!
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2019, 04:55:51 pm »

Back in the early days of the Commodore 64, which has a sparse BASIC language interpreter, that was how you deigned graphics. You drew and image on graph paper, converted the rows of squared into binary then decimal numbers, then wrote a program to put the numbers into the computer's graphic memory. Software was quickly developed to automate the process so you could draw on the screen.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2019, 07:17:03 pm »

years ago I wrote a story about a character who was an artist that made paintings that where made of pixel squares, but when you got closer you could see that each pixel was a bubble letter in a certain color, and if you you started at the top you could read a story in the work... In the story the pixels became a way of hiding secret data that was important to the story and his revival in the far furture... But for me I always liked the idea of a painting with a story to tell.
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2019, 04:12:04 am »

years ago I wrote a story about a character who was an artist that made paintings that where made of pixel squares, but when you got closer you could see that each pixel was a bubble letter in a certain color, and if you you started at the top you could read a story in the work... In the story the pixels became a way of hiding secret data that was important to the story and his revival in the far furture... But for me I always liked the idea of a painting with a story to tell.

Ah, yes, I love those old storybook illustrations that have so much in them - artists like Ida Rentoul Outhwaite, Arthur Rackman and the like. The more you look, the more things you see. Was my inspiration to become an artist/illustrator.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: