The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 21, 2019, 04:41:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arts and Crafts  (Read 2124 times)
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« on: February 15, 2019, 06:14:13 am »

I figure it makes more sense to have a thread for these experiments that I'm doing rather then monopolizing other threads with daily posts.  Wink

So using the cheapest painting supplies I could get (which is a mistake, just let me say) I tried a different style (both subject mater and technique) of acrylic painting than I'm used to. as before I hated it before I even finished and am forcing myself to avoid it for a few days to let my inner jerk/critic lose interest in it and allow me to eventually find a way to be happy with it.

For right now I'm going to say it was a fun experiment for me to pick up the paint and do something like this. while I've used some acrylic paints in the last 6 years it's always been to add color to something I've made, not usually to make a picture of something.

Climbing Tree

and to recap the other creations of the week:
day one was planning for the week

day two was charcoal: MistFall

day three was soft (chalk) pastels: Trooping Fairies

day four was oil pastels: Happy valentines

water color and oil painting to come later this week and I need a seventh art form to round out seven days of art making. maybe collage? Colored pencil? any ideas?

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 05:41:47 am »

I've been fiddling with the climbing tree and I like it better, I want to do a few more things before I call it done, I'll post the follow up.

Tonight was a more familiar medium, with a technique I've never done. Watercolour... monochrome. and for added difficulty it in tubes not in trays like I'm used to.

It's half done but I have to let it dry before going back in for the finish. I'll hold off the name til it's done.

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 12:26:56 pm »

I've been fiddling with the climbing tree and I like it better, I want to do a few more things before I call it done, I'll post the follow up.

Tonight was a more familiar medium, with a technique I've never done. Watercolour... monochrome. and for added difficulty it in tubes not in trays like I'm used to.

It's half done but I have to let it dry before going back in for the finish. I'll hold off the name til it's done.

Very atmospheric! I'm really liking the mist effects both in this one and the rolling hills. Lovely Valentine heart too.

Yours,
Miranda.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 07:37:11 am »

well my temporary place of residence lost power, thus internet, and it ate my livestream video, so no art for the night.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 08:09:53 am »

I have not quite got the nack of oil painting yet. I figured going abstract was a fair way to dabble with the way it performs and make something that gives me a sense of the medium.

of course I made it complicated for myself by making them entirely with pallet knife.

it's a messy medium, that borders on glitter levels of obnoxiously showing up 7 hours later on your elbows or anything you've touched in the same day. and it blends waaaaay to easily (try putting a dot of white on anything that's still wet, within ten minutes you'll be yelling at your canvas and the pale beige smear that should have been white).

maybe it's a bit better with brushes and letting layers set up a bit before adding to them. Still don't care for the clean up hassle.

I'd say given that everything I did this week was don in around an hour, and all started with no idea what I was going to create, and using techniques or mediums I've never used before... I say I did pretty well. Now to hide them all in a closet and not look at them.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 08:47:28 pm »

Yes, oil paints take patience. I did a lot of oil painting in college , and had a few spots on paintings that took forever to dry. I haven't gotten back into it due to the fact I don't really have a place to just leave a picture alone to dry. They have a totally different technique than acrylic paints, and that takes some getting used to.

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 06:23:36 am »

okay so maybe this is sort of cheating because it's not a visual art, but it is culinary arts:
This week I've set myself the goal of making 4 related sauces each night live on my (inspired content) youtube channel.
So far I've made-
Ketchup, marinara, pizza sauce, cocktail sauce;
chinese mustard, 'hotdog'(frenches style) mustard, honey mustard, and a dijon mustard;
home made mayo, thousand island, horseradish and chive sauce for beef, and buttermilk ranch.

tomorrow I'm aiming for-
Hollandaise sauce, alfredo, creamy garlic sauce, and a smoked gouda and bacon cheese sauce.

I may or may not do something on friday depending on time. I've been thinking of:
Pesto, pico de gallo, italian dressing, and maybe something like a sesame ginger dressing.

edit- used the left over egg whites from making the mayo, to make almond macaroons.

I've had the ideas and knowledge of these and a bunch of other sauce, dressings and marinades for years, having the notion that some day I'd write a cook book Called "Alchemical saucery" and in it create recipes that show you the bases that you can transmute into other sauces (ketchup into cocktail sauce or barbecue sauce etc) and use them to change a basic set of ingredients into a wide array of different meals.

There were plans to create a couple of follow ups, one of which was "Alchemical arts" recipes for creating your own art supplies (inks, paints, brushes, and things to paint on etc).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 09:22:13 am by rovingjack » Logged
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 08:33:45 pm »

Finished the week with all 20 sauces. I have ideas for about 20 more I could do, and could imaging coming up with maybe another 40 base sauces. I think I may do a couple more weeks like this ones, later this year, and then compile them into a couple of pdf e-books.

At any rate we are in a new week and I am beginning some music sound effects. Mainly experimenting with making background music for my youtube channels, and an opening 5-10 second jingle like thing, and sound effects to use. But it's a dry run to learn a bit about making music for further experimentation in the future.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 02:52:03 pm »

Yes, oil paints take patience. I did a lot of oil painting in college , and had a few spots on paintings that took forever to dry. I haven't gotten back into it due to the fact I don't really have a place to just leave a picture alone to dry. They have a totally different technique than acrylic paints, and that takes some getting used to.

Yes, oils take some getting used to - have only done one or two in oils, as I primarily use acrylics. Like the feel of acrylics better, and 'mistakes' are easier to correct! Acrylics go well with ink, too.

Particularly love your charcoal piece, rovingjack - very oriental in feel.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 02:54:36 pm by Banfili » Logged
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 12:41:01 am »

eggs benedict (homemade sauce)

soft pretzel with homemade honey mustard

noodles with home made smoked gouda and bacon cheese sauce
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 08:48:07 pm »

homemade pico de gallo,

shrimp over stirfried veggies, with homemade sesame ginger dressing/sauce.

homemade creamy garlic sauce/dip (good on pasta as well as crackers or toast)

roast beef on pumpernickle rye bread, with homemade horseradish and chive sauce (can also be tasty in a chicken salad in place of mayo)
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 11:55:09 pm »

so part of this is the culinary arts, but this is also a bit of learning how to do better photography as an art too. I'm learning a bit about how to arrange and get better photos of objects that I may start applying to more artsy photography.

But for now:

shrimp with homemade cocktail sauce

crab salad rolls with homemade mayo

onion rings with homemade ketchup
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 03:19:58 am »

ham on pumpernickle rye with homemade dijon style mustard.

beef franks with homemade ketchup and homemade yellow mustard (think frenches mustard).

this is one of my favorites to make, oven roast turkey deli meat with smoked bacon and swiss on pumpernickle rye swirl bread with some homemade thousand island dressing; all toasted and served 'open faced'.

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2019, 11:31:34 pm »

linguini with homemade alfredo sauce.

egg rolls and homemade chinese mustard

chicken fingers with homemade chipotle ranch dip.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 01:46:31 am »

last batch of food photos of my culinary creations.

Homemade chicken parm using the homemade marinara.

homemade basil pesto on linguini.

an assortment of pizza made with either homemade pesto or tomato pizza sauce (bacon, pepperoni, both, and cheese)

homemade italian dressing.
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 04:50:26 am »

Making me hungry - gotta go and have lunch now!
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2019, 05:54:47 pm »

Spam sliced on a cutting board.

Is anyone making anything other than food?
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2019, 06:16:12 pm »

Should this be reported as it's the most obvious case of spam I've seen in a long time.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2019, 11:32:47 pm »

Should this be reported as it's the most obvious case of spam I've seen in a long time.

REPORT! REPORT! (Thanks for the chuckle.)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2019, 02:14:33 am »

That has to be the most neatly sliced tinned meat I've ever seen - an art in itself!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 02:17:05 am by Banfili » Logged
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2019, 07:00:25 pm »

Well I had thought I was both doing culinary arts as well as working on my food and object photography (a skill I hope to employ in a few photography projects soon.

These are all shot on a fold up tv dinner tray against a closet door, with foam core posterboard underneath, and using one ceiling light in the kitchen on the left and one in the dining room on the right. The camerra was a poit and shoot Canon Powershot
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2019, 12:01:22 am »

REPORT! REPORT! (Thanks for the chuckle.)
RETORT! RETORT!

Or possibly an art deco pangolin Roll Eyes

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2019, 06:10:32 am »

my technique was a little spotty, but not too bad for a first try, I definately learned a bit so I can do better next time.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2019, 04:55:00 pm »

my technique was a little spotty, but not too bad for a first try, I definitely learned a bit so I can do better next time.

Tsk, rovingjack - shameless!!
Interesting, very like Australian aboriginal technique.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2019, 06:10:33 am »

stain shading was something I discovered a couple years ago and decided I should try out some day, well someday turns out to have been tuesday this week.

then I did some playing around with pixel art designs

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: