The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 24, 2019, 11:52:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brazil's Welsh colony items online at People's Collection Wales.  (Read 194 times)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« on: February 10, 2019, 02:35:15 am »

Brazil's Welsh colony items online at People's Collection Wales

Many people have heard of the Welsh settlement in Patagonia - but less seems to be known about an earlier attempt for a "little Wales" in Brazil.

But now a project to digitise photographs and documents on Welsh history could shed more light on it.

Items belonging to Thomas Benbow Phillips, pioneer of the Welsh colony in Brazil, have been put online for the People's Collection Wales.

His settlement started in 1850, 15 years before the one in Patagonia.
(c) BBC '15

There is a link (to "Nova Cambria") in the article btb.

I wonder where else in South America/Central America, the Welsh tried to set up colonies.?

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 10:33:59 am »

Brazil's Welsh colony items online at People's Collection Wales

Many people have heard of the Welsh settlement in Patagonia - but less seems to be known about an earlier attempt for a "little Wales" in Brazil.

But now a project to digitise photographs and documents on Welsh history could shed more light on it.

Items belonging to Thomas Benbow Phillips, pioneer of the Welsh colony in Brazil, have been put online for the People's Collection Wales.

His settlement started in 1850, 15 years before the one in Patagonia.
(c) BBC '15

There is a link (to "Nova Cambria") in the article btb.

I wonder where else in South America/Central America, the Welsh tried to set up colonies.?

I don't know if this info helps at all. The thing is that you seldom hear of Welsh in the Americas (Don't forget North America. Mexico is in North America). There weren't too many establishing colonies as Welsh proper in Central America or Mexico, but rather as British countrymen. You'd have to look at historical records.

1. There were not too many Welsh people establishing colonies in Mexican territory, but British expatriates did develop a number of enclaves in Mexico.

Britain was one of the first to recognize Mexico's independence from Spain. Immediately thereafter, British mining concerns developed settlements in the City of Pachuca and the mining town of Real del Monte (see Steampunk Building Thread in Geographical), which will have included large numbers of Cornish men, but there's no mention of Welsh people.

More likely to have Welsh people would be Colonia Roma in Mexico City: a local British expat and land developer named Walter Orrin, around the end of the 19th century asked the authorities in Mexico City to develop a small "colony" of British expatriates within the city limits. Orrin chose the name Roma after the Roman Empire and a smaller neighborhood that was already called "Romita" (little Rome), presumably due to Italian immigrants. Thereafter other enclaves of expatriates began calling their neighborhoods "colonies" and today any borough in the Greater Mexico City area is known as a "Colonia. "

2. Do you remember the country of Belize? History doesn't really point out to any Welsh people, but rather more English and Scottish settlers and former pirates called "Baymen" starting in 1638. Their coastal colonies became the pretext later for the British to declarerthe newly emancipated (from Spain) territory of "British Honduras" a British Crown Colony, subject to Jamaica in 1862. British Honduras was largely a plantation economy. I'm sure there were a few Welsh among the colonists. Belize became independent from Britain in 1981, though British troops remained for some time, because Guatemala had a territorial dispute for the territory with Britain and refused to recognize the country of Belize. Guatemala itself separated from Mexico after independence.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 08:56:35 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: