The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 24, 2019, 09:55:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mortal engines  (Read 755 times)
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« on: February 02, 2019, 02:39:17 pm »

Mortal Engines - Official Trailer (HD)

Pushed as a steampunk movie, Peter Jackson involved.

Any one else seen it?........... thoughts?

Average for me, not great, but worth a view.

chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 03:13:04 am »

Pretty much the kind of gritty steampunk i love. I was indulgently apreciative as i am with almost every movie i watch,my mom compared it to Star Wars and my brother find it was a lot of clichee done right.

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 01:07:23 pm »

I agree, VERY star wars in feel.

After watching Aquaman (my god that was really bad) my opinion of this movie has risen 100%
Antipodean
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 10:37:22 pm »

I have seen the movie and enjoyed it. Very much steampunk meets star wars and I agree there were a lot of clichés done right.
It received a lot of bad reviews but I think that was more political than actual film quality.
It does not meet the current narrative. (Britain attacking Europe (Brexit) and the warm Chinese welcome at the end. (Sth China Seas)

Did you just go PSSSSSSST at me or have I just sprung a leak?

I'm not retreating, I'm advancing in another direction.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 12:39:46 am »

Note to self: have a look at this!
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 03:20:09 pm »

Mortal Engines finally arrived at my local picture-house.

I liked it.
Once you get over the initial suspension-of-physics&engineering of lifting existing buildings like St.Pauls onto wheels rather than just remaking the materials into purpose-built mega-tanks, it's competently acted, and well-made.
But, yes, the plot is very Steampunk-StarWars.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 03:22:52 pm by Fairley B. Strange » Logged

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 12:21:56 pm »

I finally got around to seeing it last night.  I meant to go to the cinema for it- and never got around to it- but the local supermarket had it on DVD for £7 so I judged it worth a go. 

Well... it brought back for me the enthusiasm and sense of wide-eyed wonder and delight I experienced back ten or eleven years ago when I first joined the steampunk community.  I absolutely loved it.  Big thumbs up from me.   

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 07:46:56 pm »

I finally got around to seeing it last night.  I meant to go to the cinema for it- and never got around to it- but the local supermarket had it on DVD for £7 so I judged it worth a go. 

Well... it brought back for me the enthusiasm and sense of wide-eyed wonder and delight I experienced back ten or eleven years ago when I first joined the steampunk community.  I absolutely loved it.  Big thumbs up from me.   

I've seen the reviews online. Pretty dismal, according to the mainstream, but Steampunks love it. Seems some reviewers are saying that the premise was "too complex" for generalaaudiences (giant mobile cities all the Post-apocalyptic mish mash. I think instead, that Post-apocalyptic landscapes have been over exploited among the muggles (similartto the Steampunk as a go to fad 10 years ago) and no longer interesting to the public.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: