The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 24, 2019, 04:48:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nazi Biplane  (Read 397 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: January 28, 2019, 06:18:25 pm »

Late Steam Age Plane In The Diesel Age. Mind You, The Last War Biplane Participated To The Sinking Of The Bismarck:
http://9gag.com/gag/aR1E6Zy

Disclaimer : This Showcase Of Nazi Weaponry Is Off Course Not A Condonement Of Fascism. Tongue
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 06:29:30 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 07:24:47 pm »

Not a Nazi plane. It is marked "U.S. Army".

Prior to being adopted by the Nazi party, the swastika was a common decorative good luck symbol borrowed by western designers from eastern religion.
Astalo
Zeppelin Captain
Finland Finland

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 09:06:24 pm »

Also Finnish air force use that symbol. It's has been quite common symbol in all northern countries since the viking times..

http://enacademic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/11212016
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Air_Force
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 09:11:02 pm by Astalo » Logged
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 10:13:07 pm »

Prior to being adopted by the Nazi party, the swastika was a common decorative good luck symbol borrowed by western designers from eastern religion.

And it's also a Boeing airplane.

Here's an article on the subject. BBC. It shows the same biplane picture: "How the world loved the swastika - until Hitler stole it"
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29644591
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 10:15:08 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 11:03:14 pm »

Also not a Nazi-type swastika - that's rotated 45°.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 11:34:44 pm »

The ancient symbol has the in a different position - NAZIs rotated it, which, when you consider the use it was put to as a symbol, is totally appropriate.
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 01:51:28 am »

D'OH !

I totally forgot about this other meaning of the swastika.
Anselmofanzero
Gunner
Germany Germany

Custom Builds on Request

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 02:10:42 am »

I saw the swastika on canadian hockey jerseys...ages ago.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 11:33:29 am »

The Naval Amphibious Base Coronado in California, USA is "accidentally" shaped in a swastika. Positioned at a 45 degree angle.
Yeah right. So no one at any time during the first drafts, the preparation of the build and the build itself, never noticed the resemblance? Commissioned in 1944, during WWII. I don't know if the wings where all erected at the same time period, but I can not believe no one noticed the resemblance.

That said, as some of you noticed, the swastika has more meanings in many cultures around the world. It is, from a graphic point of view, a strong, mesmerizing and appealing collection of lines. It's got repetition, symmetric and good usage of space. I get the design aspect of Hitlers flag. Not many flags have a similar design.

The German Airforce used the cross patty in WWI. Also commonly used in several religious groups. Symbols are usually not pattented, so any person, group or country could use any symbol.

Not to go into politics, but right now a red hat with 4 letters on it can be seen as a symbol. Or a common object like a yellow vest can be turned into a political symbol. In some country's politicians use colors or animals as a symbol to stand out from the opponent political party.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 01:47:44 pm »

The Naval Amphibious Base Coronado in California, USA is "accidentally" shaped in a swastika. Positioned at a 45 degree angle.
Yeah right. So no one at any time during the first drafts, the preparation of the build and the build itself, never noticed the resemblance? Commissioned in 1944, during WWII. I don't know if the wings where all erected at the same time period, but I can not believe no one noticed the resemblance.

That said, as some of you noticed, the swastika has more meanings in many cultures around the world. It is, from a graphic point of view, a strong, mesmerizing and appealing collection of lines. It's got repetition, symmetric and good usage of space. I get the design aspect of Hitlers flag. Not many flags have a similar design.

The German Airforce used the cross patty in WWI. Also commonly used in several religious groups. Symbols are usually not pattented, so any person, group or country could use any symbol.

Not to go into politics, but right now a red hat with 4 letters on it can be seen as a symbol. Or a common object like a yellow vest can be turned into a political symbol. In some country's politicians use colors or animals as a symbol to stand out from the opponent political party.

Coronado is a connected island dividing the San Diego Bay from the Pacific Ocean. I lived in San Diego for 7 years. The only reason the Naval Amphibious Base, Coronado is "at a 45 degree angle" is because that is the longitudinal cardinal direction of the elongated island on the map with respect to the North.

San Diego Bay and Coronado Island. Note the bay and Coronado are largely occupied by Naval installations.
Right click to zoom in

The outline of the building is a rectangle, not a square. So not exactly a Nazi Swastika, although I imagine there are some anti-government conspiracy websites out there pushing the idea. San Diego is a VERY large naval centre in the United States. I seriously doubt there are any Nazi sympathisers among their ranks.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 01:54:15 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 03:32:58 am »

Hilter  was obsessed with power symbols and the occult, and he appropriated a LOT of things .

The word "swastika "   comes from the Sanskrit meaning "conducive to well being or auspicious", which goes to show how very old it is.

In North America it is oft' called the whirlwind or whirling logs, and has been used by the Dineh ( Navajo) forover a thousand years. Numerous buildings
in the Great Southwest had a form of it incorporated into the architecture prior to WW2, which either led to minor renovations or an "understanding"....

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 02:12:26 pm »

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 02:36:14 am »

Why Thank yoiu My Good Seven

arizona road sign

bridge near Yuma, AZ - Bureau of Reclamation’s Yuma Project, authorized by Secretary of the Interior
Ethan A. Hitchcock on May 10, 1904.

yhs
prof marvel
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 04:30:00 am »

I also saw a swastika once in a wargaming magazine article about samurai heraldry. House Suda, in fact.

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: