The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 27, 2019, 08:31:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Tarot  (Read 584 times)
One Stop Steampunk
Swab

United States United States

« on: January 26, 2019, 02:09:44 am »

Hey everyone, I used to have an awesome steampunk tarot deck that i fell in love with. I unfortunately lost it and still need to get a new one....

But I wanted to ask if anyone else here has used a steampunk tarot deck and how they felt about it?

Help Support a new Local Steampunk Brand!
https://onestopsteampunk.com/
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 05:38:33 pm »

I've always used Rider Waite's; there are a lot of different decks out there so I suppose it depends if you want them to read, (in which case you have to get a deck you feel comfortable using), or just because they look pretty.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 10:47:42 pm »

Apparently there have been two projects on Brass Goggles to develop a Steampunk Tarot deck, but neither one was finished.  Cry

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 12:46:34 am »

I've always used the so-called Rider-Waite deck, perhaps for no better reason than that I'm used to it; but it should really be called the Rider-Waite-Smith deck. Riders were the original publishers, and A.E.Waite, a member of the Order of the Golden Dawn commissioned it and gave the actual artist the broad outline, but the actual illustrations were all designed and painted by fellow GD member Pamela Colman Smith, known as Pixie, a young woman artist who should be much more widely known than she is. Almost all the symbolism is down to her - symbolism that Waite himself in his book on the Tarot clearly missed. She was paid a pittance for all her work, and died in near poverty - another example of men getting all the credit for a woman's work!!

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamela_Colman_Smith

Athanor

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.
Amelia Harper
Deck Hand
Wales Wales

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 12:31:44 am »

I use the Steampunk Tarot by Barbara Moore, with art by Aly Fell.  It's an absolutely gorgeous pack.

Steampunk adventure featuring Manchester's Chinatown is now available on Smashwords!
The Ministry of Unladylike Warfare by Lesley Arrowsmith
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 03:38:31 am »

Hmm... I would never have thought of making Tarot cards. I don't know if I would make it Steampunk though - I would prefer more weird little critters in my Tarot. I'm also a Rider Waite's user.
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 08:25:36 am »

It's more an oracle desk, but I decided to simply make my own:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 08:51:23 am by VampirateMace » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: