The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 26, 2019, 11:03:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A random rant  (Read 3023 times)
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2019, 09:32:30 am »

Well it might be a bit chilly up north, but the way our dog is burying acorns I reckon it is going to be a long, cold winter down here in Australia...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2019, 02:58:01 pm »

Well it might be a bit chilly up north, but the way our dog is burying acorns I reckon it is going to be a long, cold winter down here in Australia...

My junior cat retired to my bed, with the doona over the top, and stayed there all day, until supper time! Perhaps it will be a cold winter! Sigh! Better start organising the wood man soon! Grin
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2019, 11:55:30 pm »

Have you ever seen "Ghost Apples"? Not science fiction nor horror novel. It's the product of extreme cold; Apples freeze over but their insides have a lower freezing temperature & turn to mush dropping from the bottom. An apple shaped chunk of ice is left behind

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/08/us/michigan-ghost-apples-trnd/?no-st=1550181685

Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2019, 02:28:06 am »

Have you ever seen "Ghost Apples"? Not science fiction nor horror novel. It's the product of extreme cold; Apples freeze over but their insides have a lower freezing temperature & turn to mush dropping from the bottom. An apple shaped chunk of ice is left behind

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/08/us/michigan-ghost-apples-trnd/?no-st=1550181685

Ewwww... Reminds me of the time my Aunt Bob (yes, that's right, Bob's me Auntie) made a whole batch of Christmas puddings. Gave away all of them except one and then when she went to get it for Christmas she found a rat had eaten out the entire inside leaving nothing but a pudding-shaped cloth.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2019, 12:56:13 am »

Reached 90 F / 32 C today mid-day. In the middle of February. A couple of weeks ago we were freezing... and now it feels horrible.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2019, 09:32:13 pm »

Reached 90 F / 32 C today mid-day. In the middle of February. A couple of weeks ago we were freezing... and now it feels horrible.

Less than 24 hrs later the warmest Saturday got is 6.7 C / 44 F (!!!) That's a drop of 25C / 46F in the maximum temp in 24 hrs!

morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2019, 02:28:00 pm »

Third week of thaw. Some vanilla, not a harsh Russian winter.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2019, 09:55:22 am »

Less than 24 hrs later the warmest Saturday got is 6.7 C / 44 F (!!!) That's a drop of 25C / 46F in the maximum temp in 24 hrs!

Last motnh Colorado was covered with avalanches. Now it's 80 deg F in Denver
But wait, the bomb cyclone blizzard is coming tommorrow!

from
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2019/04/09/new-bomb-cyclone-to-send-temperatures-plummeting-by-60-degrees-bringing-blizzards-with-it/#cfb92945f019

"The forecast high for today in Denver is 80 degrees Fahrenheit, but by Wednesday evening the temperature is expected to plummet into the 20s
and several inches of snow could fall. The storm system is also accompanied by very strong winds, which create the unusual circumstance of
high fire danger closely followed by winter storm and blizzard watches."

oi.

playlist:

1) Billy Joel - We Didn't Start the Fire (Official Video) - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g

2) R.E.M. - It's The End Of The World As We Know It - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY

repeat

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2019, 08:28:36 pm »

Last motnh Colorado was covered with avalanches. Now it's 80 deg F in Denver
But wait, the bomb cyclone blizzard is coming tommorrow!

from
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2019/04/09/new-bomb-cyclone-to-send-temperatures-plummeting-by-60-degrees-bringing-blizzards-with-it/#cfb92945f019

"The forecast high for today in Denver is 80 degrees Fahrenheit, but by Wednesday evening the temperature is expected to plummet into the 20s
and several inches of snow could fall. The storm system is also accompanied by very strong winds, which create the unusual circumstance of
high fire danger closely followed by winter storm and blizzard watches."

oi.

playlist:

1) Billy Joel - We Didn't Start the Fire (Official Video) - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g

2) R.E.M. - It's The End Of The World As We Know It - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY

repeat

yhs
prof marvel

There's a lot of energy in the air...  Roll Eyes that sounds like a song title

Personally, all of this makes me really happy.  Shocked  Can you guess why??
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 08:36:13 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2019, 01:34:25 am »

JW, you have already or are in the process of moving?
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2019, 01:06:38 pm »

You don't live in Denver?

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2019, 08:27:50 am »

I fear my little guesser hast gonee kaput!
pray tell, J , whyfor art thou been made happy thereby?

yhs
prof ahhhhhhhhhhhhhrrrrggggggggg
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2019, 10:16:59 pm »

JW, you have already or are in the process of moving?

Physically move? Not likely, not this year, I think. The resolution to move was my 50th B'day gift to myself last year. It's a big decision and a big move (for me) since I'm totally alone and have no real bank account to speak of. But geographical transition HAS already started in other ways:

1) I need to secure online income first. The idea is to start living from an online income so the move is smoother (so it won't matter where I live- income will not stop as I move, and after I have settled).

2) Most importantly, this year my goal is to take care of the papers - I will start the process early next week. I don't know how long it will take, but I'ts hard to see me failing, since I have everything from my old Permanent Migrant Visa, my long-form birth certificate, my mother's *handwritten in beautiful penmanship* birth certificate, my parents' marriage certificate, to university-issued highschool certificate, and my US university transcripts (to show I'm not just a dum-dum who will depend on the government). I don't know what else they could possibly ask me for, other than get photos, pass a history test after drinking a Tequila shot, and sing the national anthem (all of which I can do BTW). If you've read my posts, I can probably teach them a thing or two on their own history... The only question mark is a missing military service card, but I seriously doubt they need that, since I left for the US after highschool, before I was of age to serve, and I'm too old now to do military service, so I don't know what they will tell me about that (probably nothing or they'll tell me to get a card from the military service saying I'm excused of it as an adult).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 11:16:44 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2019, 10:46:29 pm »

You don't live in Denver?

Well, that is ONE reason... but it's more mundane than that. More like "I told you so." But they'll find a way to blame someone else for the climatic changes...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2019, 11:01:41 pm »

I fear my little guesser hast gonee kaput!
pray tell, J , whyfor art thou been made happy thereby?

yhs
prof ahhhhhhhhhhhhhrrrrggggggggg

Read previous post. But really, in a sense Banfili is correct. The rest of the world seem to be much more willing to take the issue of atmospheric pollution seriously, which is in large part due to the state of personal transportation technology. And I think the rest of the world will tackle the problem first, to be honest. Developed countries like the US and Russia, have zero interest in dealing with the situation -there's too much cheap fuel, and seems we will never run out of it as we keep discovering more and more deposits of gas and oil.

As an engineer, I may be in a position to help a little, by way of revolutionising personal transportation. Some really big surprising changes have already started in some parts of the world (eg. China, some cities in the Middle East) and my new goal is to see if I can participate in those efforts somehow, perhaps talking with new generations of aerospace engineers, who are young and have the backing of their government to think outside the box*.

*Tangentially, these young engineers are the new generations studying space transportation (seeing as hypersonic spaceplanes/gliders like the Shuttle, which are what got me to study my career in the first place, are basically a dead idea in the US and Europe, but are in full swing in other countries like India).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 12:04:20 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2019, 12:10:27 am »

Excuse me!

In Russia, a small number of cars per capita. We have developed public transport.
We have a popular movement by rail.

This is all the legacy of the USSR. But still.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2019, 12:25:01 am »

Excuse me!

In Russia, a small number of cars per capita. We have developed public transport.
We have a popular movement by rail.

This is all the legacy of the USSR. But still.

Undoubtedly, public transportation helps a lot. It requires a change of culture, but I don't see that happening in the US. In countries like Mexico, where the purchasing power is lower, fewer people buy cars, and public transportaion like the "Metro" are really important (11th most populated in the world in 2018: 1,640,000,000 annual passengers).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_City_Metro (https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Метрополитен_Мехико)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metro_systems (https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Список_метрополитенов)

I have much more faith in countries like Mexico adopting new transportation technologies first. The central Valley of Mexico with 22.5 million people is very large, and very polluted, and there is a big incentive to move away from fossil fuel. While Mexico produces large amounts of oil, refined products like gasoline is not enough and partly needs to be imported.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 12:32:11 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2019, 12:55:44 am »

I would divide it into two aspects.

1) resources Used. Public transport allows them to really save. And at the expense of fuel and due to the width of the roads.

Private cars do not use internal combustion engines. If they save resources, not so much. Anyway, you need to move the heavy iron box from place to place.

2) Harmful emissions. This, here, getting rid of oil engines, brings great benefits to people. Especially in places like Mexico.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: