The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 16, 2019, 01:47:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A random rant  (Read 4685 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2019, 10:23:32 pm »

-50C is so extreme. I was looking at a YouTube video from someone who lives in Winnipeg, Canada. That's where you will see the - 30 Celsius temperatures this winter.
My sister used to live in Winterpeg. Occasionally it got too cold to light the propane barbecue. Propane boils at -42°C.

Then I guess people in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois won't be babecueing this week...

This announced today for tomorrow and the next few days: Down to -40F/-40C for the US "MidWest" states  (I guess foreigners would call those states "North Central." The name "Midwest" is historical in nature. Note Fahrenheit and Celsius scales match at that temperature)

In Texas we will only go town to OC/32F tonight- Its about 21C/69F right now.

Source: CNN
The coldest air will come between Tuesday and Thursday in the Upper Midwest and Great Lakes, with temperatures plunging to 20-40 degrees below zero, CNN meteorologist Dave Hennen said. Wind chills will plummet to 35-60 below zero.

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2019, 10:50:24 pm »

Forecast for here in the deep Southwest for Wednesday is for a high of -19°C and a low of -26°C, with wind chill of -40°C. I don't care where you're from; when it's that cold, it's cold.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2019, 10:52:28 pm »

The Russian Federation is very large. I'm sure you have a very wide range of weather types. I'm also sure you have a few places where temperature varies a lot (geographically small place with large temperature variation). You must have some interesting places to share with us!
The last time I went to Russia was to Krasnodar, down in the desert near the Black Sea, in July/August. At the end of the first week it reached 50C (122F) and stayed that hot for the next 3 weeks. All of our group ended up in hospital with heatstroke at one point or another. On the first day the buses all stopped in the rush hour - wheels sunk into the melted tarmac!  Shocked and had to be freed in the middle of the night with tracked tow trucks.

This was back in the Soviet era when the pollution from the nearby oil refineries was so bad that it caused a local greenhouse effect. When we got back to the UK no-one believed us because we didn't have tans - but we hadn't seen the sun for the entire month due to the smog! Shocked

When Doctor Who went to Krasnodar station a couple of years back they used a quarry in Wales as the location! Cheesy

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2019, 11:00:22 pm »

When Doctor Who went to Krasnodar station a couple of years back they used a quarry in Wales as the location! Cheesy

The BBC use a quarry in Wales for a lot of locations, both on this planet and off it!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2019, 11:29:02 pm »

Our cool change has arrived! Which means, forecast temp for today is about 33C, which it may not reach - overcast, with a chance of rain. it's been such a relief that I sat up much later than I should just to enjoy the cool air!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2019, 11:29:50 pm »

Forecast for here in the deep Southwest for Wednesday is for a high of -19°C and a low of -26°C, with wind chill of -40°C. I don't care where you're from; when it's that cold, it's cold.

Windchill for Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois (e.g. Chicago) will be -35 to  -60C!!!  Toronto and Chicago will see "Lake Effect" Snow this week, and Quebec will also be buried in snow. Hope they have plenty of shovels at hand!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2019, 11:37:26 pm »

The Russian Federation is very large. I'm sure you have a very wide range of weather types. I'm also sure you have a few places where temperature varies a lot (geographically small place with large temperature variation). You must have some interesting places to share with us!
The last time I went to Russia was to Krasnodar, down in the desert near the Black Sea, in July/August. At the end of the first week it reached 50C (122F) and stayed that hot for the next 3 weeks. All of our group ended up in hospital with heatstroke at one point or another. On the first day the buses all stopped in the rush hour - wheels sunk into the melted tarmac!  Shocked and had to be freed in the middle of the night with tracked tow trucks.

This was back in the Soviet era when the pollution from the nearby oil refineries was so bad that it caused a local greenhouse effect. When we got back to the UK no-one believed us because we didn't have tans - but we hadn't seen the sun for the entire month due to the smog! Shocked

122 F is insane. I do remember walking on a parking lot in San Antonio Texas during a hot summer - around 1979 or so, probably at around 43C/110F and the asphalt was so soft that my grandmother's heels  got stuck in the asphalt  Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 12:03:34 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2019, 11:38:30 pm »

Yes. Krasnodar is an interesting place.

The climate is officially considered mild, which is why people come here abundantly from the North and the far East to live in retirement.

But... a typical annual difference between the minimum and maximum is 50-55 degrees, that is, the climate n a cocktail of Mediterranean subtropics and the Siberian pole of cold.

In winter, severe frosts almost never happens, but when I am, it's hard. High humidity even at -5 makes you shiver from the cold.
When frost is under -20 degrees, which occur every five years, the streets resemble a post-apocalyptic city, covered by the harsh, fierce and immensely long nuclear winter due to the complete lack of life, except for rare people crossing the road to the grocery store for the next strategic food supplies.
But -20 is not the limit, it is also possible winter temperature of under -30 with real Russian snowdrifts on a belt.

A typical Kuban winter is near-zero temperature with slush and a permanent day of tinsmith (ice!), as well as frosts lasting 1-2 weeks, usually in late January-early February. Can of freezing in March and April, so the residents can not relax. In 2014, January 20, the Kuban looked ice rain, which lasted more than a day and covering all three-centimeter layer of ice. Ice rain with wind left without light about 0.5 million people.

In the spring, of course, no less suddenly there are floods. Krasnodar region is a mountainous area, hence landslides / floods, sometimes cutting out entire villages. Goes to the Krasnodar, where the street floods drown cars.

And in a month, in the summer, opens a branch of hell-a resort with come from everywhere cattle. The heat is exorbitant: 40 degrees and above in the middle of summer - rather the norm than the exception (August 2011, 14 hours — maximum heat — 56 degrees in the sun), again humidity up to 90%. The fact is that in the Krasnodar region near the Achishkho ridge, near Sochi, is the wettest in Russia.
There are local thunderstorms, when an hour falls more than a season, and wash away all nafig
The scorching sun and the absence of rain dry all the vegetation, there is a burning of dry and reeds by unconscious citizens; the earth dries up and is covered with cracks more than a meter deep; Kuban black soil, burnt by the sun, is not inferior to brick in hardness. Hot winds of the steppe rides the roadside dust. Before noon, life freezes, people disappear from the streets until the evening, hiding in cool and air-conditioned rooms. In General, if you watch the Krasnodar summer from the height of the fifth floor, the picture can be easily confused with the frame of the game Fallout.

In this description there is an artistic exaggeration. Still, Krasnodar region is considered a resort. It's warm. Smiley

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2019, 03:43:34 am »

Was outside a couple of days ago trying to save the garden from frying completely - the cool change came in and the temp dropped about 16 C in ten minutes. It was lovely!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2019, 01:49:16 am »

****PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT BY THE UNITED STATES AIRSHIP COMMAND****
*********ATMOSPHERIC RESEARCH DIVISION***********
Adm. J. Wilhem USAS ORCA ~Tuesday, January 29, 1889. 23:59 GMT

For those of you living in the Midwest of the US: Frostbite is now a real possibility this week! Windchill is a real temperature - by way of a process known as "forced convection" the wind can drive the temperature of your skin *below* the temperature of the air. YESTERDAY in Minnesota, wind gusts of 40 mph/64 kph caused a -25 F / -32 C wind to produce a windchill of -60 F / -51 C (as measured on your skin); the time to frostbite in those conditions is about 5 minutes! The coldest windchill ever recorded in Minnesota was -71 F / -57 C, and it's expected that figure will be matched in the next few days.

The coldest wind chill measured Tuesday by the National Weather Service was 61 degrees below zero at the Grand Forks Airport in North Dakota. That's from an actual temperature of 25 below and a wind gust of 44 mph.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 02:01:14 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2019, 09:23:16 pm »

American brothers. Are you cold?

Most importantly, you eat well. Fatty, hot, spicy food. What would the blood ran through his veins, and the stomach was a small stove.

Eat lard, meat dumplings, borsch, goulash, buckwheat with stew.

It's better to get a little fat than to freeze.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2019, 11:55:55 pm »

American brothers. Are you cold?

Most importantly, you eat well. Fatty, hot, spicy food. What would the blood ran through his veins, and the stomach was a small stove.

Eat lard, meat dumplings, borsch, goulash, buckwheat with stew.

It's better to get a little fat than to freeze.

Thankfully most of us are not that cold. Canada has more bragging rights, generally, but Lake Michigan and the Atlantic Ocean are usually responsible for large amounts of snow in the area. The people from the State of Minnesota tend to be ethnically Scandinavian, they seem well adjusted.

Yes, some people in Michigan are doing EXACTLY THAT! One particular employee found a recipe for Borscht from a declassified CIA translation of a Soviet Red Army cooking manual!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/30/opinions/polar-vortex-arctic-plunge-shelter-the-homeless-perry/index.html

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:59:10 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2019, 01:55:14 am »

a visitor to our makerspace recently came down from Canada, and she said that while she was used to having an actual winter too, they don't get anywhere near as bitter cold as we do. something about our position between the white mountains and the coast makes our weather brutal sometimes. winters we can wipsaw between 28F and -5F in a day and 44F and -12F in a couple days. and then other day 3 feet of snow ending in freezing rain for no apparent reason other than to weld all the snow into giant blocks on our cars and walkways in the middle of the night.

Then summer comes around and it's 97F with 87% humidity for a week once or twice a month after late june through mid september.

Pretty much everywhere I went when I visited the other 48 states seemed to be a little less wildly variable. that's not to say there aren't places where it gets colder, or they get more snow fall, or broiling humid heat. It just seems our area likes to troll us.

or maybe it's making us into super humans through adversity?

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2019, 09:45:27 pm »

a visitor to our makerspace recently came down from Canada, and she said that while she was used to having an actual winter too, they don't get anywhere near as bitter cold as we do. something about our position between the white mountains and the coast makes our weather brutal sometimes. winters we can wipsaw between 28F and -5F in a day and 44F and -12F in a couple days. and then other day 3 feet of snow ending in freezing rain for no apparent reason other than to weld all the snow into giant blocks on our cars and walkways in the middle of the night.

Then summer comes around and it's 97F with 87% humidity for a week once or twice a month after late june through mid september.

Pretty much everywhere I went when I visited the other 48 states seemed to be a little less wildly variable. that's not to say there aren't places where it gets colder, or they get more snow fall, or broiling humid heat. It just seems our area likes to troll us.

or maybe it's making us into super humans through adversity?

We Americans tend to forget that the United States being at an average latitude of 40 degrees N (town of Lebanon, Kansas. Pop. 218  Cheesy), is located on a ring around the North Hemisphere where the seasonal temperature variation is wider than at other latitudes. This has to do with the angle of the sun due to the inclination of the Earth.

While subtropical weather is stereotypically warmer, this has more to do with the fact that average altitudes along tropical land tend to be low (sea level), and combined with ocean currents this means they tend to be warmer and wetter, but never -ever- as hot as the American Southwest. As you move south, closer to the tropics, the seasonal variation in temperature approaches zero, and you're just sitting at whatever the average temperature is for that altitude on Earth (temperature goes down linearly with altitude in the Troposphere) - just modified by ocean currents and weather transport mechanisms such as monsoons.

So in theory the United States should experience the highest temperatures swings during summer (e.g American Southwest), but the converse is true and the coldest winter snaps will also happen somewhere in the US! The only caveat being that you keep cooling down -on average temp- as you get closer to the poles (e.g. going through northbound through Canada); The angle of the sun becomes more acute, and eventually you reach the lowest temperatures within arctic cirle (in theory - what we experienced this year is a deviation from that according to NASA). So in essence, the US is expected be the most extreme zone for seasonal swings in temperature in North America

If you sit high on a mountain at subtopical latitudes, it will be cold, and steady throughout the year. For example, Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania, with a peak altitude of 5895 m/ 19300 ft, located at just 3 degrees South from the Equator.

Two of Kilimanjaro's volcanic cones: Kibo (left) and Mawenzi (right).

Kibo Summit on Mt. Kilimanjaro

Aerial photograph of Kibo Crater on Mt. Kilimanjaro

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 10:36:38 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2019, 07:29:52 pm »

WTF??

I woke up this morning to find the National Weather Service announcing that Austin Texas is about to magically transform into Aspen Colorado in the next hour!?! "Heavy Snow at times" for most of the day! A couple of days ago we were at near 80F /27 C!! We are currently near freezing.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2019, 01:43:55 am »

WTF??

I woke up this morning to find the National Weather Service announcing that Austin Texas is about to magically transform into Aspen Colorado in the next hour!?! "Heavy Snow at times" for most of the day! A couple of days ago we were at near 80F /27 C!! We are currently near freezing.

Last week max temps 40oC to 45oC, today max temp 22oC - and its's still Summer!
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2019, 06:51:59 pm »

Freezing rain and freezing drizzle most of last week, and more on the way tonight and tomorrow. Bleh.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2019, 10:36:58 pm »

And we have a thaw. The second week the temperature is about 0 Celsius. even the temperature was.

February is not typical.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2019, 11:55:21 pm »

I'm sick again this winter, for the second time. Thanfully it's a very mild cold. But these temperature swings are not good for me.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2019, 12:04:35 am »

Yes, slushy weather contributes to colds.

Better a small frost. - 5-10 degrees Celsius.
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2019, 01:54:17 am »

I will now concede that you northerners really do have the worst weather (at the moment). A balmy 25 C here today. Most of the garden has survived, with just a bit of scorching on the tree-fern fronds. The Japanese maple is a bit the worse for wear, but it will survive.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2019, 02:27:03 pm »

The forecast is now for a full-blown ice storm. At 7:30 a.m., we already have ice pellets, with freezing rain coming later this morning, and all Public, Separate and post-secondary schools are closed and all school buses cancelled.

EDIT: As of 8:30, the County Library has closed all branches.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 03:15:13 pm by von Corax » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2019, 05:57:08 pm »

Aaargh! We're going to swing up to 28C/83F on Friday! Please make it stop! This is like a roller-coaster ride
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2019, 09:49:12 am »

Max 21C today, overnight, 9C. Tomorrow 21C, Friday 32C!
Up down, up down like a yoyo - however, much, much more betterer than 46.8C!!

I will take today's temperatures all year, by preference! Grin

February is supposed to be our hottest month, but it isn't going to make it this year, although there are still a couple of weeks where temps can soar.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2019, 06:26:15 pm »

Again snowfall.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt0ro_sA_jv/

It's Moscow in the morning. It's beautiful. But honestly it's an ass.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: