The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 22, 2019, 01:32:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tom Mix's injuries charted  (Read 571 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: January 11, 2019, 08:18:22 pm »

One of my favorite bits of western movie ephemera:

I don't own one of these, but I saw one for sale once and have regretted not buying it. I believe that this is a mail-away premium from a radio serial. It purports to document real injuries suffered by movie cowboy Tom Mix. Mix was an interesting character; an actual western lawman who became an early motion picture star. He was right on the cusp of the pre-mass media to mass media eras; a perfect model for a steampunk western hero.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 01:14:05 am »

Chance, or just plain trouble-seeking clumsy? Grin
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 07:46:11 am »

Thank you My Dear RJ!

I am a fan of Tom Mix as well, and had to go back to other sources....
I think this was more sideshow hype, and may have dated back to his time when he was in or running Wild West Shows,
thus it may be less than absolutely correct in some respects.

for example, item C. he could not have been shot by a sniper because he did not leave the Continental U.S. during his service time, and did not in fact see combat.

Item F. shot by bandit in Mix' home, is more likely where he was shot in the shoulder and back by his wife, when she caught him, er ..... (they stayed married for 4 more years)

also, Item H, he was never a U.S. Marshall but did service as a Law Dog more than once ( he may have been a town marshall)...

But the "hole in the back from a dynamite explosion" is verifiable!

Mix AND HIS HORSE were both injured when, during filming,  a special effects dynamite charge went off  prematurely.

Mix got many injuries from doing his own stunts during filming: they did not yet have "spun glass" so they got thrown threw thinner panes of the real thing; and they did not have sawdust filled holes to land in, they fell on packed dirt ( often under the horse!) . Then they had to "walk it off".

Mix was known to have engaged in several legit shootings ( he successfully fought off 3 bandits, shooting one, who were trying to rob his Wild West Show in the Pacific Northwest),  various fights, fought off rustlers & such  while with the 101 Ranch,  and like many real cowboys of the era got in a LOT of fights and broke a LOT of bones on the job.... up until the 1930's the country west of the Mississippi was still quite wild. In fact, rustlers are still an occasional problem here in the Great Southwest.

Mix was well known to be a "straight shooter" (honest man) who respected others and had few vices except drinking and for flirting with the ladies.

thanks for the fascinating piece of Victorian Americana!

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: