The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 06, 2019, 12:22:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Victorian House of Arts and Crafts.  (Read 1900 times)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« on: January 11, 2019, 04:06:09 am »

The Victorian House of Arts and Crafts. (part 1 of 4)

BBC 2.  9pm/21.00.  Friday 11/01/19

In this landmark living history series, a late 1800s Victorian arts and crafts commune in the Welsh hills has been painstakingly brought back to life as a group of 21st-century crafters move in to experience the highs and lows of living and working together as a creative commune. Over their month-long stay they are set to renovate four of the key rooms in the house.
(c) BBC '19.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 07:17:23 am »

The Victorian House of Arts and Crafts. (part 1 of 4)

BBC 2.  9pm/21.00.  Friday 11/01/19

In this landmark living history series, a late 1800s Victorian arts and crafts commune in the Welsh hills has been painstakingly brought back to life as a group of 21st-century crafters move in to experience the highs and lows of living and working together as a creative commune. Over their month-long stay they are set to renovate four of the key rooms in the house.
(c) BBC '19.

As an addict of this kind of thing I was horribly saddened not to be able to watch it because I am not a resident of Blighty...  :'( The "register" thingy doesn't pop up if you are in the UK, but it does if you are in the Antipodes. I will have a chat with an IT person I may or may not know.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 04:24:11 pm »

One can only live in hope that one of our Antipodean  tv channels picks up the series. It does sound like an intriguing social experiment, with its commune style structure. A concept whic is very much in keeping with the Bohemian movement of the period.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 03:45:10 pm »

As it usually is I only managed to catch the last episode.  I rather liked it- but then again I'm something of a fan of the Arts & Crafts Movement anyway. 

My only gripe is why oh why did it have to be treated as a competition, with judges and 'item of the week' and whatnot?  Why introduce an unnecessary competitive element to the thing?  Or are 'we', as a viewing audience, deemed incapable of being able to watch a programme showcasing creativity done just for the pleasure of it?

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 04:07:04 pm »

(Snip)

My only gripe is why oh why did it have to be treated as a competition, with judges and 'item of the week' and whatnot?  Why introduce an unnecessary competitive element to the thing?  Or are 'we', as a viewing audience, deemed incapable of being able to watch a programme showcasing creativity done just for the pleasure of it?

I agree completely. I suspect the competition element was needed to get it through the commissioning process - it seems to be the flavour of the month format right mow.

Yours,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 06:00:14 pm »

Yes, the whole 'will they get it finished in time/they are out of their comfort zone' style of commentary spoilt it for me.
I would much rather concentrate on watching a skilled artist/artisan produce something beautiful in the time it takes to make it properly, rather than against some artificial deadline, introduced merely to provide 'tension'.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 07:20:55 pm »

Yes, the whole 'will they get it finished in time/they are out of their comfort zone' style of commentary spoilt it for me.
I would much rather concentrate on watching a skilled artist/artisan produce something beautiful in the time it takes to make it properly, rather than against some artificial deadline, introduced merely to provide 'tension'.

Very well said! One programme that did that really well was The Repair Shop.

Yours,
Miranda.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 07:37:22 pm »

You know what I'd really like to see?  A book of the series discussing everything that didn't make the cut for the programme.  The weathervane from the last episode being a case in point.  You see them get tasked with it, then you see them hammering a bit of metal, then suddenly it's finished and mounted.... err, sorry did I miss something there?  There must have been so much work that either didn't get filmed or ended up on the cutting room floor, and also it's interesting seeing or being told how something gets made...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 02:55:36 am »

I would like to see the series. I would also like to see all the items, and the processes involved in the making thereof. Forget the 'completion tension' etc., - I want processes!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 07:33:19 am »

Those thoroughly eccentric British country house regentrification shows are always entertaining.   The only competition is which old nobility family is wilde and crazier than the next
Professor Hesketh
Officer
England England

Astonishist

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 11:31:25 am »

For me, the competitive element rather spoiled it, and the old trick of a camera zooming in close when someone bursts into tears (which was often - even Keith did, but that was to be expected after his Pottery Throw Down hanky-dribbling).  And not enough on the actual making.  Good art takes the time it takes, cutting short the time can cut short the quality (as was seen in a few of the pieces).  Still, Sewing Bee back on next week.  More of the same!
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 12:32:22 am »

Not bad series, could do with less "will they or won't they?" as others have said. Maybe, next time they could do six months/a years stint in a different art period, with the same team?
Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Communing with the Over-soul via you.

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 07:39:04 pm »

Intriguing basis for the show.

AGREED. Artificial tension is immensely boring to me... I often enjoy 'house shows' with stunning before and after shots. I (as many have said) very much like seeing the work progress, how things are made or done, without the unnecessary drama they add to it.
My husband and I enjoy watching youtube videos where they make things such as 'Man at Arms' or videos of tools getting restored. No artificial tension there. Just good craftsmanship.

When watching shows of the 'competition' variety I sometimes choose to mute the most annoying parts. Or all of it. The visuals are often the entire point.

That delicate forest flower,   
With scented breath and look so like a smile,   
Seems, as it issues from the shapeless mould,   
An emanation of the indwelling Life,   
A visible token of the upholding Love,   
That are the soul of this great universe.

~William Cullen Bryant

Trains to Steamtown, this way...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 07:23:45 pm »

If (like me) you missed this the first time around, I note that it's now available on DVD. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: