The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 20, 2019, 12:44:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk medical thesaurus.  (Read 628 times)
John G.
Swab

United States United States

« on: January 04, 2019, 08:07:47 am »

Greetings one and all, it's been a few years since I've been here, but life continues to mess up plans. I have a listing of thesaurus' in my favorites bar, steampunk name generators and such, but I'm in need of a steampunk medical terms thesaurus, I have started a tv series that combines all the punk genre', working together for a change, but now I need the medical terms to make it more realistic. All help is appreciated. 
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 09:10:55 am »

What would you call cog removal, when it has been glued on?  Uncogging,  gear stripping,  works removal
John G.
Swab

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 01:15:49 am »

amputation, of course.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 09:19:42 pm »

19th century medical terminology was the same latin-based terminology in use today, so there isn't much difference, but the medicine of the time was less advanced.

There were trends in medicine that came and went:

Crude surgeries like amputations were more common. Anesthetics came into use but were not perfected.

Radium elixirs enjoyed a brief popularity until the side effects became apparent. radium needles were discovered to be effective against cancerous tumors, which lead to modern radiation therapy.

Drug stores carried the medicines of the time; opium, heroin, cocaine, etc. were unregulated and used in patent medicines and as party drugs.

I have read mentions of experiments with electricity as a healing force; this has mostly vanished from modern medicine.
John G.
Swab

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 07:19:24 am »

Thank you. I'm using this as a base line in the story I'm writing.
Whitapers
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 12:40:46 am »

This might be useful, thanks
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 11:46:32 pm »

Here's a good search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=victorian+quack+medical+devices&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjf1fD3k7LgAhUnzoMKHRBXC8oQ_AUIDigB&biw=1280&bih=833

Lots of electrical devices sold by medical quacks in the 19th century. If you are looking for reference for medicine in a steampunk setting, it should be helpful.
John G.
Swab

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 02:46:33 am »

Sorry for the lateness of this, but thank you.  I'm finding that getting the proper item, in the proper context, so it's not totally overwhelming the reader is very time consuming.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: