The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 10, 2020, 08:25:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Departed Cultural Icons - 2019  (Read 13347 times)
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2019, 11:02:56 am »

Sid Haig. Actor known for Rob Zombies' House of 1000 Corpses trilogy. 7/14/39 - 9/21/19
Ric Ocasek ( more officially, Richard Theodore Otcasek), lead vocals, rhythm guitar and songwriter for The Cars. 23/03/44 - 15/09/19

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2019, 12:58:26 pm »

Aron Eisenberg, best known as Nog in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, 06/01/1969 - 21/09/2019.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2019, 09:57:53 pm »

Mark Zakharov, theatre and film Director.  October 13, 1933-September 28, 2019.

I wrote about his films in topic "Soviet flmy" - http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,47544.msg977591.html#msg977591.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2019, 10:13:39 am »

Diahann Carroll (born Carol Diahann Johnson; July 17, 1935 – October 4, 2019) American actress, singer, and model. She rose to prominence in some of the earliest major studio films to feature black casts, including Carmen Jones (1954) and Porgy and Bess (1959). In 1962, Carroll won a Tony Award for best actress, a first for a black woman, for her role in the Broadway musical No Strings.

Her 1968 debut in Julia, the first series on American television to star a black woman in a non-stereotypical role, was a milestone both in her career and the medium. In the 1980s she played the role of Dominique Deveraux, a mixed-race diva, in the prime time soap opera Dynasty.

Carroll was the recipient of numerous stage and screen nominations and awards, including the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress In A Television Series in 1968. She received an Academy Award for Best Actress nomination for the 1974 film Claudine. She was also a breast cancer survivor and activist.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2019, 12:13:47 am »

Rip Taylor has passed away at 84.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/rip-taylor-dead-dies-1203360814/?fbclid=IwAR3cuGtD3T-8SjE8ra5R3lUbJ4LA9j2pMHVxYmU3XFHv6hTXGazzwN_AcXc
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2019, 09:44:29 am »

Peter Edward "Ginger" Baker
English drummer and a co-founder of the rock band Cream. His work in the 1960s and 1970s earned him the reputation of "rock's first superstar drummer", for a style that melded jazz and African rhythms and pioneered both jazz fusion and world music.
Died: 6 October 2019, Canterbury, United Kingdom Trending
Born: 19 August 1939, Lewisham, London, United Kingdom
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2019, 01:26:48 pm »

dia
Diahann Carroll (born Carol Diahann Johnson; July 17, 1935 – October 4, 2019) American actress, singer, and model. She rose to prominence in some of the earliest major studio films to feature black casts, including Carmen Jones (1954) and Porgy and Bess (1959). In 1962, Carroll won a Tony Award for best actress, a first for a black woman, for her role in the Broadway musical No Strings.

Her 1968 debut in Julia, the first series on American television to star a black woman in a non-stereotypical role, was a milestone both in her career and the medium. In the 1980s she played the role of Dominique Deveraux, a mixed-race diva, in the prime time soap opera Dynasty.

Carroll was the recipient of numerous stage and screen nominations and awards, including the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress In A Television Series in 1968. She received an Academy Award for Best Actress nomination for the 1974 film Claudine. She was also a breast cancer survivor and activist.

Diahann Carroll was fabulous. Julia was a great show. It was ground breaking  for a single mother and a black woman to be   a character in a strong main role.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2019, 01:27:24 pm »

English drummer and a co-founder of the rock band Cream. His work in the 1960s and 1970s earned him the reputation of "rock's first superstar drummer", for a style that melded jazz and African rhythms and pioneered both jazz fusion and world music.

He had an amazing life
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2019, 01:59:46 pm »

He had an amazing life

Bit of a wild man, I gather!
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2019, 02:02:15 pm »

Diahann Carroll was fabulous. Julia was a great show. It was ground breaking  for a single mother and a black woman to be a character in a strong main role.

I remember the show, mainly because my dad & I used to watch it together - didn't run for nearly long enough. She had a great set of pipes, and she was a stunner!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 02:04:15 pm by Banfili » Logged
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2019, 05:48:34 pm »

Diahann Carroll was fabulous. Julia was a great show. It was ground breaking  for a single mother and a black woman to be a character in a strong main role.

I remember the show, mainly because my dad & I used to watch it together - didn't run for nearly long enough. She had a great set of pipes, and she was a stunner!

She was also a superstar on the Wookee home world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1PySHyo6RY
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2019, 10:41:41 pm »

Alexey Arkhipovich Leonov.  Soviet cosmonaut No. 11, the first man to go into space.

walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2019, 05:03:11 pm »

An artist whose cartoons are recognisable to many of us.

http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/news/gahan-wilson-(1930-2019)/?fbclid=IwAR2fgzdeeZ8-OZ5AZeoCXoJb9k7VAJmVyxxy4SJVRkA6s3r56FSArOgSwhg
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2019, 06:35:13 pm »

Michael J. Pollard has passed away. He appeared in Star Trek, Lost in Space, Roxanne, Bonnie an Clyde, and other productions.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2019, 06:57:08 pm »

John Mann (September 18, 1962 – November 20, 2019) Canadian rock musician, songwriter and actor, best known as the frontman of the folk rock band Spirit of the West; early-onset Alzheimer's syndrome.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2019, 01:35:26 am »

Clive James AO CBE FRSL,  Australian author, critic, broadcaster, poet, translator and memoirist. 
Born: 7 October 1939, Kogarah
Died: 24 November 2019, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2019, 12:52:21 pm »

Andrew McArthur Smith, known professionally as "Greedy" Smith, was an Australian vocalist, keyboardist, harmonicist and songwriter with Australian pop/new wave band Mental As Anything. Smith wrote many of their hit songs including "Live it Up" which peaked at No. 2 on the Australian singles chart
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2019, 11:33:32 pm »

Only 28 more days to die in 2019.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2019, 08:07:11 am »

Only 28 more days to die in 2019.

Wonder who will be first! And how long it will take to kick off the list?
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2019, 06:02:51 pm »

D. C. (Dorothy) Fontana (March 25, 1939 – December 2, 2019), Screen writer and story editor for Star Trek.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2019, 08:06:31 pm »

D. C. (Dorothy) Fontana (March 25, 1939 – December 2, 2019), Screen writer and story editor for Star Trek.

She was always great at Star Trek conventions, witty, informative and friendly, and always seemed to have time to chat to us attendees. (Ah, those were the days, when guests socialized with fans and didn't charge for autographs).

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2019, 07:55:15 pm »

Caroll Spinney, Puppeteer Behind Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch, Dies at 85
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/caroll-spinney-dead-dies-sesame-street-big-bird-oscar-the-grouch-1203428981/?fbclid=IwAR0BPhUswpCK1WfoVt62saMhrn4h1vrwdCxW8nMGRQr2v4oLiT1LgAmudvQ
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2019, 04:19:15 am »

Marie Fredriksson, the voice behind Swedish group Roxette’s biggest hits, 'It Must Have Been Love' and 'Listen to Your Heart', has died aged 61. The Swedish star, alongside bandmate Per Gessle, achieved global success in the 1980s and 1990s with a slew of hits including 'The Look', 'Joyride', 'Spending My Time', 'Fading Like a Flower' and 'Dangerous'.

A statement from Fredriksson’s manager said the singer had died on Tuesday (local time) “following a 17-year long battle with cancer”.
The Swedish band, who sold a staggering 75 million albums worldwide, were hugely popular in Australia, where they scored three number ones, 'The Look', 'It Must Have Been Love' and 'Joyride'.
They were also frequent – and popular – visitors to our shores, last touring the country in 2015.

I did a few long-distance trips with Roxette in the CD player. One of my all time favourite bands.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2019, 09:11:50 pm »

Naturalist and presenter David Bellamy dies at 86

Naturalist and broadcaster David Bellamy has died aged 86, the Conservation Foundation he formed says.

London-born Bellamy, who became a household name as a TV personality, scientist and conservationist, died on Wednesday, according to the foundation.

His colleague, David Shreeve, described him as a "larger-than-life character" who "inspired a whole generation".

In later life Bellamy, who lived in County Durham, attracted criticism for dismissing global warming.

In 2004 he described it as "poppycock" - a stance which he later said cost him his TV career.

Bellamy worked as a factory worker and a plumber before embarking on his broadcasting career.
(C) BBC'19

Sad

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2019, 11:19:38 am »

Marie Fredriksson, the voice behind Swedish group Roxette’s biggest hits, 'It Must Have Been Love' and 'Listen to Your Heart', has died aged 61. The Swedish star, alongside bandmate Per Gessle, achieved global success in the 1980s and 1990s with a slew of hits including 'The Look', 'Joyride', 'Spending My Time', 'Fading Like a Flower' and 'Dangerous'.

A statement from Fredriksson’s manager said the singer had died on Tuesday (local time) “following a 17-year long battle with cancer”.
The Swedish band, who sold a staggering 75 million albums worldwide, were hugely popular in Australia, where they scored three number ones, 'The Look', 'It Must Have Been Love' and 'Joyride'.
They were also frequent – and popular – visitors to our shores, last touring the country in 2015.

I did a few long-distance trips with Roxette in the CD player. One of my all time favourite bands.

Yes, great voice.
Joyride, Sleeping in my car, The Look.
Countless times during my long drives on the highway I had Hotblooded at full volume.....
Will miss her.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: