The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 17, 2019, 03:34:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: What did you do for the Yuletide? (You can click more than 1)
Visting relatives somewhere far away - 2 (8%)
Vacation trip (drug trips don't count) - 0 (0%)
Cooking/Having Xmas Dinner at home - 9 (36%)
Decorating your patio or home - 5 (20%)
Go to the theatre (movie or play) or Concert - 0 (0%)
Stay ay home and hide under the sheets - 0 (0%)
Revive some pre-Christian or Pagan Solstice related tradition - 4 (16%)
Ruin someone else's Xmas out of spite (Grinch Option) - 1 (4%)
Other - 4 (16%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MERRY CHRISTMAS!  (Read 1715 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« on: December 24, 2018, 09:32:05 pm »

I wish you all a Happy Yuletide!! May this season bring you calm, happiness and love!

******{{{{{{ MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE }}}}}}}*******

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen, how did you spend, or plan to spend this Yuletide?  For my part It would be Options 3 and 8. I'll explain why Option 8 below.

I just stayed at home and cooked Christmas Dinner for myself. On the menu tonight  is 1 lb. of Salt and Pepper crusted Rib Roast with red wine a dill gravy with carrots, and my variation on a typical Mexican Christmas dish called "Romeritos" ("little Rosemarys/Rosemaries?"). This strange dish is traditionally made Seepweed sprigs, and dried shrimp patties with potatoes covered in a traditional Mole Poblano sauce (the chocolate variety)

"Romeritos" A typical Xmas dish in Central Mexico

While very interesting and not necessarily bad tasting, I dislike the Romeritos, because it's the closest thing to "chewing the cud." The seepweed sprigs are way too fibrous, and will never disintegrate in your mouth, The shrimp cakes are also a bit hard, as the dried shrimp usually include some of the crustaceans' exoskeleton  Tongue This is a traditional dish for Christmas and Lent in Mexico (I guess eating it must involve some kind of suffering/deprivation/guilt trip or some such)  Cheesy So I'll make a fairly different variation on it by replacing the shrimp cakes with breaded and fried crab patties, and I'll replace the seepweed with sauteed Mustard Greens in garlic, something far closer to digestible matter, but still pretty green.

Wiki: Poinsettia
The Aztecs used the plant to produce red dye and as an antipyretic medication.[8] In Nahuatl, the language of the Aztecs, the plant is called Cuetlaxochitl, meaning "flower that grows in residues or soil" Today it is known in Mexico and Guatemala as Flor de Nochebuena, meaning Christmas Eve Flower (*Errata: actually it means Holy Night Flower*). In Spain it is known as Flor de Pascua or Pascua, meaning Easter flower. In Chile and Peru, the plant became known as Crown of the Andes. In Hungarian [sic], it is called Santa Claus' Flower, and is widely used as a Christmas decoration.

The plant's association with Christmas began in 16th-century Mexico, where legend tells of a girl, commonly called Pepita or Maria, who was too poor to provide a gift for the celebration of Jesus' birthday and was inspired by an angel to gather weeds from the roadside and place them in front of the church altar. Crimson blossoms sprouted from the weeds and became poinsettias. From the 17th century, Franciscan friars in Mexico included the plants in their Christmas celebrations. The star-shaped leaf pattern is said to symbolize the Star of Bethlehem, and the red color represents the blood sacrifice through the crucifixion of Jesus.

For this season, I was reminded that the "Poinsettia" or "Christmas Star" plants seen all over in the US during the Christmas season are actually an import from Mexico. The "Flor de Noche Buena" (Holy Night Flower) is a plant native to Mexico, that is conspicuous for turning its leaves from green to a very bright red, provided the last weeks of Autumn are sufficiently overcast, or alternatively the plant is grown in the shadow for that period. The red color is a change in the type of chlorophyll as a response to lighting conditions, and when the these are right, the plant's upper leaves will turn bright red during Yuletide. The plant is named Poinsettia, after the US Minister to Mexico from 1827-1829 and US Secretary of War between 1837-1841 (thankfully not during the Mexican American War of 1846-1848)

American diplomat and Secretary of War Joel Roberts Poinsett

But to be fair, Mexico has also appropriated customs from the United States. In particular the Germanioc tradition of the Christmas Tree and associated decorations. During the 20th. C, US immigrants learned to make Christmas decoration and some of them returned in the 1940s to their sleepy villages in the Mexican State of Michoacan, second only to the State of Oaxaca, known for it's very high percentage of Native Mexican people. Now it happens that since Spanish Colonial times (and some towns do date back to the mid 1500s) every village has adoped some traditional craft as the local industry. There are about two or three towns in Michoacan that are exclusively dedicated to the manufacture of Christmas Ornaments.

Christmas ornament industry annual fair in the town of Tlalpujahua, State of Michoacan
(this is NOT a Spanish name but a Purepecha Native name)
Very much a cottage industry, one single shop produces about 200000 glass spheres per year.

The tradition was started by Joaquin Munoz a former Xmas ornament worker in the US
Christmas ornaments is the village's main industry, providing 1600 jobs
Tlalpujahua: El pueblo donde la navidad dura todo el año

In the Michoacan town of Tzin Tzun Tzan (Also a Purepecha Native name) the main industry is straw braiding... Instead of glass, all forms of straw stars, tree ornaments and wreaths are made entirely by hand using straw and other materials

That song you hear in the background is sung in Purepecha not Spanish, BTW
Tzin Tzun Tzan is home to a Native population, primarily
Tzintzuntzan mercado de artesanías

Ah, yes! Why choose "Option 8," the so called "Grinch Option"? Well, as my family doesn't seem to return any phone calls and emails since the last three holidays or so (got a partial response - "oh we were busy" - for Thanksgiving last year), I was thinking of sending them a weird seasons greetings card by way of registered mail which they'd be forced to receive, something along the lines of the Grinch or a black rose or some sort of lump of coal of sorts. Any suggestions?

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 10:00:04 pm »

In a few minutes I shall be off to the family farm to have Christmas Eve dinner with my father and my sister and her brood, and to make Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories' cranberry chutney for tomorrow's Christmas dinner, something I've prepared every year since the recipe was first posted in 2011.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 03:16:30 am »

My Dear J !  We Lift a Cup of Cheer to You !

Was Hail!

we are having our neighbor over both for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Traditional Fish and Veggies.  Fish was very traditional for Native American feasts.

Not many left of our blood relatives, and this year nobody can travel.
Since the WEB allows one to extend one's self further, We would like to
Happy Holidays to all our Brass Goggles extended family

Our local grocery offers "buy a bag" of goroceries that they deliver to a list of those in need.
Since We could afford it we purchased several at Thanksgiving and again for Christmas.

yours
Prof and Mrs Marvel
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 03:18:17 am by Prof Marvel » Logged

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 03:50:22 am »

We don't have a lot of gifts under our tree, but my mom contributed a new craft room for me, new tile floors for the house and a new roof! That inspired my husband to refinish the kitchen table set while he was out of work. So to celebrate, I am making a turkey dinner tomorrow, with mashed potatoes, butternut squash, broccoli and mac and cheese. I hope everyone has a festive winter celebration!

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 06:03:22 am »

No photos to show.  Just a quiet Christmas here. Had a traditional Antipodean fare. Roast potatoes, chicken nibbles,  vege and gravy washed down with a cheap white wine. . I'm completely full, though I am still craving a cream and cake  dessert if some kind that I forgot to purchase.  I can wait a couple if days and  get one from the supermarket.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 01:05:23 pm »

Merry Christmas everybody!

Just a quiet dinner with my mother. Turkey, veg, roast potatoes, gravy and "pigs in blankets", and a bottle of champagne to wash it down. Later I will probably have a couple of friends pop round to mine after their family leaves for the day. This will probably consist of 'nibbles' (cheeses, crisps, chocolates, nuts, etc) more booze and a bit of a laugh.  Smiley

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 02:56:18 pm »

And a very Merry Christmas to our Western Hemisphere brethren!
Officially the 26th here now, by 10 minutes, so all over for another year - now to get through New Year unscathed!

I had a lovely Birthday (24th)/Christmas Day, and I am now set up for the foreseeable future, celebration wise! Grin Grin
gracyl
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 07:58:13 pm »

Merry Christmas everyone!
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 11:18:49 pm »

Merry Christmas, hurry.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 06:05:27 pm »

Slightly late, but really heartfelt Seasons Greetings to one and all.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Knight Walker
Gunner

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 06:29:36 pm »

A little late but Merry Christmas!

A well place stick of dynamite solves all problems.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 02:04:33 am »

Thank you folks! and a Happy New Year (post following soon)! My Xmas dinner was a success, even if I only got to share it with one other person. Highly recommend that dish above with the crab cake and the greens (unless you're a masochist in which case feel free to chew on sprigs and shrimp shells)!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 02:41:23 am »

A belated Merry Christmas to one and all!

Stayed home in the AM and had breakfast with the folks, then went to lunch with the Dulcimer bunch and jammed and played party games after. There're pics on my facebook, and on the North Harris County Dulcimer Society's FaceBook page.

Looking forward to a Happy New Year, and wishing the same to everybody here.

Don't look up with your mouth open!

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 03:02:04 am »

Nadolig Llawen a blwyddyn newydd dda.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 05:01:35 am »

Why Thanks My Dear Wells, and to you and yours as well!

I thought I recognized a Welsh Holiday greeting   :-)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 05:44:02 am »

Why Thanks My Dear Wells, and to you and yours as well!

I thought I recognized a Welsh Holiday greeting   :-)

Diolch ac Yachi Dda.

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 09:05:11 pm »

I spent Christmas at my parents' house, located in the rural outskirts of a small Michigan town, is in a hilly area with woods, cornfields, and lakes. My father puts out food for the animals, who come to the back yard.
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2018, 01:28:07 am »

Oh that looks lovely RJBowman. We are having a bit of a heatwave here at the moment, so snow and cold is imagined to be very pleasant... (Reality may be different.)

We had the usual Christmas with two families coming together to celebrate - cousins, nieces, nephews, kids etc - 25 in all. My daughter has a spreadsheet to manage it. 2 Webbers and a huge oven seemed to cope. We had a turkey roll (that is my job to remove the bones, stuff it with chicken mince, cranberries and other festive substances, then sew it up) ham, prawns vegies etc.

This year's theme was BEER! Rein-beer to be precise. A 6 pack of different craft beers (with eyes and reindeer antlers) went along with our place setting - our name 'cards' was a stubbie bottle painted with deer motifs and filled with tiny lights. I'm afraid to say we kind of go insane and Christmas is a big thing for us, so the room we eat in is tables in a huge square with red tablecloths, lights and Christmas decorations on the walls and snow-carols playing. Instead of silly jumpers, we wear 'Hawaiian' shirts! Presents for kids only.

Since my son-in-law is a brewer there are 3 beers on tap as well as 'other' beverages (wine, bubbly etc). Everyone brings the good stuff. No fights, no arguments - just fun. 
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2018, 01:38:57 am »

Ooh, RJBowman, 'Bambi-burgers', on the hoof, so to speak! Deer are an introduced pest here, so, unless they are farmed deer, never welcome no matter how cute!

I had Christmas lunch with my brother and his family - a lovely day all round, and as my brother is a chef-quality cook, the food is always yummy. Relatively 'traditional' fare, but hot pudding and custard was not on the menu - trifle and/or double-decker pavlova instead of pudding. It was 40oC, so his air-conditioning was appreciated! Dropped in on a friend on the way home, so a 160km round trip - glad the aircon in my car is good, too!

Overall, I had a lovely day - double-dip, really as my birthday is Christmas Eve!
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2018, 01:47:45 am »

Happy Birthday to you & others.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2018, 10:43:30 am »

Seasons Greetings one and all, (OK slightly late)

Spent Christmas Day at my 85 year old mums, so the dinner didn't quite go to plan, crispy mash instead of roast potatoes, but we had a good laugh about it. The best meal I have had all year!

I love that photo of the deer btw!

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2018, 04:52:17 pm »

Very belated I know, but I'd like to wish everyone here the very best for the festive season. Reading through the above it's lovely to see how the good people of BG marked the season in differening but equally pleassant ways. We had a very traditional family Christmas at home on the day itself (and I even managed to judge the presents right after the disaster of last year, specifically for my eldest; I really do need to aknowledge she's a young lady now and not the child, albeit a teenage child, that she once was) and we came back late last night from travelling to see relatives. We managed to fit in a carol service for once, the needles are still on the tree and we've still lots of lovely food to enjoy over the reaminder of the twelve days; I'm counting myself as very fortunate person indeed.

Yours,
Miranda.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2018, 10:11:27 pm »

Very belated I know, but I'd like to wish everyone here the very best for the festive season. Reading through the above it's lovely to see how the good people of BG marked the season in differening but equally pleassant ways. We had a very traditional family Christmas at home on the day itself (and I even managed to judge the presents right after the disaster of last year, specifically for my eldest; I really do need to aknowledge she's a young lady now and not the child, albeit a teenage child, that she once was) and we came back late last night from travelling to see relatives. We managed to fit in a carol service for once, the needles are still on the tree and we've still lots of lovely food to enjoy over the reaminder of the twelve days; I'm counting myself as very fortunate person indeed.

Yours,
Miranda.

Well couldn't be as bad as that commercial I saw on TV the other day, where the father buys snow shovels for the entire family  Cheesy Grin

I'm afraid I've already consumed all of my Xmas Dinner. I have to think what to do for New Year (I'm afraid I'll be working till noon on the Eve). No time to cook!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: