The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 20, 2019, 06:52:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wasteland Wanderer Gear  (Read 1593 times)
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« on: December 16, 2018, 06:30:20 pm »

Again, please do accept my apologies, as this isn't quite steampunk; but the gear was made using techniques I've learned from this forum, and several pieces wouldn't look too out of place aboard a particularly run-down airship!

The goggles are thrift store sports gear: I think lacrosse or hockey or some such.

The respirator is made from two pieces of innertube from a giant 16 wheelers tire, two strap-anchor things from an old handbag, and various nuts and bolts. Devilishly uncomfortable to wear, clamps down to the face and restricts the breathing like you wouldn't believe.

The necklace is old bullet shells (don't ask the caliber, they're my father's cast-offs), and glow-in-the-dark beads.

The scarf is a particularly fine thing, a Katniss Everdeen cowl knitted by my most wonderful mother, made od various odds and ends of thrift store single ply wool I hand dyed with a mixture of goldenrod and iron mordant. The combination of mismatched wool and natural dyes give it a rugged, well-worn feel for something only a month old. Also, a terrible iron smell.

The vest was a woman's black leather jacket, cut down on the outside of the seam lines, which give it aquite a nice asymetric look. It's cut higher in the back, and will set well under a coat. Laces up using chunks of hiking boot leather with grommets intact sewn on (I must take a photo of that part!). Aged with sandpaper and bleach. Will be going over it with brown boot polish to give it a mottled brown and black color.

Belt has some army surplus bags, including a small shotgun shell pouch, and a larger pouch containing a working (if simple) first aid kit.

Pants are BDUs left over from service in AmeriCorps NCCC, where black BDUs are the dress uniform. They're rugged and full of holes from plain oldfashioned wear and tear. Terribley made, honestly; the knees give out after barely three washing.

The boots are cheap desert combat boots from, again, the thrift store, but gussied up with spats made from an older set of boots and a set of elastic anti-slip... Things. Cleats, perhaps?

The bag was one of mothers. Bleach and sandpaper to age the leather, but gently, since it's a practical, workong bag. Shoulder strap was replaced with a piece of old bike tire, and another chunk sewn on the hugher shoulder piece. Zips have bullet casing tab dangles, and an old belt and buckle is used to secure one flap.

Quiver is half full of old, spraypainted target arrows, and half good quality hunting srrows with detachable field point heads. Quiver is made of old handbag parts. The bow is a child's compound bow, found in a thrift store for $3.00.

Bracers are simple leather and straps, and gloves were cut down from a set of fleece lined women's gloves, and chucked into the same dyepot that dyed the cowl wool, giving them a splotchy, rotten look.

The costume isn't, of course, complete yet. I need to construct a proper long coat, possibly sewn from several old ones, with (I daresay) a built-in hood- a nice and deep one.

I reckon it could also use some sort of waist cloth thing to add more detail to the lower leg area; a few tattered rags worn in the same way you'd tie a sweatshirt around your waist, perhaps?

« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 06:46:45 pm by Kieranfoy » Logged

'Invoked or not, the gods will be present.'

-The Oracle of Delphi
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 12:44:23 am »

Eminently suitable for the wasteland, especially if one needs to spend time lurking, or guarding ones airship from predators!
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 12:58:30 am »

Eminently suitable for the wasteland, especially if one needs to spend time lurking, or guarding ones airship from predators!

Ah, lurking. A time-honored tradition, that, and one I've gotten quite good at
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 01:59:14 am »

That is a striking out for that  needs to be taken out and  worn on a more regular basis. Ignore the stares at Coles.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 03:07:47 am »

Wonderfully sinister looking apparel. I trust the skull behind the mask is not yours, extracted temporarily for bleaching in the sun before being placed back on its rightful place...

Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 04:08:37 am »

Wonderfully sinister looking apparel. I trust the skull behind the mask is not yours, extracted temporarily for bleaching in the sun before being placed back on its rightful place...

Ah, no, the skull was just an old aquaintance who consented to model for me.
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 04:09:11 am »

That is a striking out for that  needs to be taken out and  worn on a more regular basis. Ignore the stares at Coles.

I actually DO intend to wear it out a bit tommorrow, get some photography done.
The Inventor
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Cascadia now and forever

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 05:30:38 pm »

Looks great.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 04:50:06 am »

Really well thought out and believable.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 07:31:25 pm »

It's really impressive how this outfit has been put together with inspired creativity from such dispirate parts. Did the photos happen back in December?

Yours,
Miranda.
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 12:33:54 am »

It's really impressive how this outfit has been put together with inspired creativity from such dispirate parts. Did the photos happen back in December?

Yours,
Miranda.

Why, thank you for the compliment, madam. Honestly, living in a family that values thrift store visits as mother/child bonding has its uses.

And, dash it all, no. We hit a patch of truly BRUTAL weather, and so I was somewhat disinclined...

Perhaps tommorrow. I have a new set of bracers and a reworked mask, so I might as well.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 07:12:38 am »

I hear you, Kieranfoy, I hear you!
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 07:14:29 pm »

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 07:21:56 pm by Kieranfoy » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 09:58:45 pm »

Very imposing - particularly the lower mandible mask. The bike-tyre arm guards are pretty impressive too!

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. happy Australia day for yesterday  Smiley
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 04:01:25 am »

I don't think I'd like to meet you in that getup, Kieranfoy - at least, not unless I knew you were on my side!
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 08:55:30 am »

Seriously intimidating and impressive, well done.
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 04:22:03 pm »

Very imposing - particularly the lower mandible mask. The bike-tyre arm guards are pretty impressive too!

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. happy Australia day for yesterday  Smiley
Why thank you kindly, madame!

Another year gone in frozen American exile.

*le sigh*
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 04:47:55 pm »

Screws, nuts. Maybe cover them with a little dirt. And that and Shine.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2019, 01:18:34 am »

Screws, nuts. Maybe cover them with a little dirt. And that and Shine.

That is one third of my design aesthetic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: