The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 22, 2019, 12:55:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Put some gears on it and call it a steampunk barge  (Read 979 times)
Melrose
Gunner
Australia Australia

« on: November 14, 2018, 02:33:22 am »

I really couldn't think where to post this...
And I don't know if anyone's even thought of paper modelling. Cutting to the chase, I was browsing paper model sites (I often grab some scale buildings for role-playing games, they're cheap!) and saw this 1/100 scale model barge. It's in period, and it certainly has what I'd call a steampunk look. It would probably take tremendous patience to build, but it's free.
It's a German river barge, fitted with an array of very large wheels through which a cable travelled, moving the barge across the river. It's an interesting design, and whether or not I ever build it, it opened up an interesting field to explore. This is a complex model. It has several pages of instructions and history, all in German.

http://papermau.blogspot.com/2018/11/the-old-rheintauer-5-barge-paper-model.html
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 06:14:43 am »

Its an interesting piece
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 09:12:08 am »

Certainly looks the part. I'd want something a little more durable than paper, though.
Melrose
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 12:02:05 pm »

Certainly looks the part. I'd want something a little more durable than paper, though.
I've made a number of paper scenery items - buildings etc - for role-playing games. The designers try to make them sturdy and you use a heavy paper or thin card. The good thing is they are cheap and expendable. If you run out of storage you print more at need. But I think this one's more a display curio. Also an inspiration to look into odd shipping!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 09:41:34 pm »

That is indeed a very impressive model, and what looks like a very interesting site; thank you for highlighting it! If I ever have any time I'd like to make some of the Ravensblight buildings and ships (http://ravensblight.com/papertoys.html).

Yours,
Miranda.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 07:13:41 pm »

I'm struggling to see how it could ever have worked.  It's got gearing to use a chain to drag itself across a river, yet it also has propellors.  There's a ramp at the bows presumably for people to get on, but not at the stern for them to get off again.  Granted it's got a rudder so it can turn around, but then see the point about the chain so you'd expect it more to be double-ended so it could work in either direction....

That low bow worries me somewhat, it's got 'Herald of Free Enterprise' written all over it. 

It's quite evidently steampunk ticking all the boxes in the 'looks good but couldn't possibly work' category. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: