The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 26, 2019, 03:56:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best quote I've heard today ...  (Read 1198 times)
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« on: November 06, 2018, 11:08:56 am »

It's never too early to be annoyed by Christmas.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 12:43:20 pm »

It's not just a dislike of Christmas, it's because I was bitten by a BahHum bug.....

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 12:54:11 pm »

That is especially true when you work in retail...

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 08:14:30 pm »

Keep these pearls of wisdom rolling  along
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 07:58:41 pm »

That last one was really a gem...

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 08:32:05 pm »

I'm busy planning for next Halloween?
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 10:05:51 pm »

I love Christmas and all the glitz and tinsel and the once-a-year baked treats (and even many of the songs).
I also fully believe that it should be illegal to start before December 1.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 09:05:51 pm »

I agree with this.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 10:54:49 pm »

I agree with this.

Thanksgiving used to provide a cushion before Christmas at US supermarkets. Aftre all food is central to that holiday. That is no longer the case. They went straight to Christmas ornaments one day after Halloween.

Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 05:06:51 am »

Since we have a child whose birthday falls in late November, we have been under strict instructions that no Christmas stuff is permitted until after birthday stuff, so now I am allowed to comment...

We still manage to have one of those Christmases that look like like someone vomited decorations all over the place. A lot of Christophiles in our family. Our Christmas is also big - usually 20-25 people. It is this size because it is cousins, in-laws, aunts, brothers, sisters, nephews and all their respective partners and kids. We do this because it puts a stop to the "5 Christmas dinners with each family" fiasco. We all have a lovely time and have no intention of ever giving it up! We think Grinches and Bah-humbugs are hilarious!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 11:30:57 am »

Since we have a child whose birthday falls in late November, we have been under strict instructions that no Christmas stuff is permitted until after birthday stuff, so now I am allowed to comment...

We still manage to have one of those Christmases that look like like someone vomited decorations all over the place. A lot of Christophiles in our family. Our Christmas is also big - usually 20-25 people. It is this size because it is cousins, in-laws, aunts, brothers, sisters, nephews and all their respective partners and kids. We do this because it puts a stop to the "5 Christmas dinners with each family" fiasco. We all have a lovely time and have no intention of ever giving it up! We think Grinches and Bah-humbugs are hilarious!

It sounds like you have a wonderful time! We have Christmas day itself just for close, local family but then travel on Boxing Day for the big family reunion. And for us, the decoration-fest starts this weekend, and doesn't stop until every surface is covered with tinsel and twinkling lights  Grin.

Yours,
Miranda.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 01:49:48 pm »

I'm celebrating.

I'm celebrating the 13th year that we haven't celebrated Christmas and the estimated £15,000 that's still in the bank because of that decision.

I do a little 'whoop' every December 25th.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 06:57:03 pm »

Christmas for me was a much smaller affair, with close relatives and friend - usually just people "once removed" from the nuclear family, my grandparents, my uncle (rarely), couple of godparents and great grand aunts on the French side. I think the maximum size of the party ever would be 10 people.

My grandmnother's biithday fell between Christmas and New Year, so that was an issue. Since my grandparents raised me, it was my job to give her the presents and help prepare  the house for the holiday. The way to deal with a dinner party was to do a single combined Birthday/Christmas/New Year party with guests, and then have two smaller evenings (just nuclear family plus a few guests, say two or three) during the actual Christmas and New Year.

People in Mexico are very gregarious. It's absolutly normal for friends/co-workers to rotate small events at someone's home, every single weekend. Just small informal meetings with food and drink, cardboard dishes, guests helping with the dishes - chatting about life, gossip and the weekly events.

So having a smaller Xmas dinner and New Year with just a few guests, and in between a single large formal dinner party doesn't look like overkill. It has the net effect of amplifying the Yuletide for the kids, because you are only surrounded by people who like you/love you during the actual holidays! Regarding the travel side of holdays, those guests who can't come during Xmas/New Year, will usually be free for the large party on, say the 28th December. It makes Youletide a lot more fun and less stressful.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 01:42:53 pm »

Getting back on topic...

"Any thing done for the first time unleashes a demon."

Describes so many of my prototypes ;-)

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: