The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 24, 2019, 05:46:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repurpose your old X-rays  (Read 667 times)
Melrose
Gunner
Australia Australia

« on: October 31, 2018, 05:44:34 am »

Did a small Halloween thing at the local coffee shop this morning, with a few friends who shun the concept of dignity Wink
One of the guys crafted himself a plague doctor mask, a simple design as he doesn't anticipate regular use. I'm passing this on because he used something I have not seen considered anywhere else, and others might find it useful. He had some old X-ray image sheets which were no longer relevant. A simple pattern, a little glue and some coarse stitches, and this is the end product.

Apart from a few jokes about "Spy vs. Spy" it seems successful to me! (I'm the Van Helsing in the photo. Saw no vampires so clearly it works.)

A little detail in the remaining pics, not that it's complex. He commented that the film is very tough. He's something of a handyman, and used to various materials, but making the holes for the lacing was slightly tedious work. The up side is that he says the film is durable. He didn't say anything other than the eyepieces are perspex, but I doubt eyepieces are a mystery on this forum! He's also a house-painter by trade so knows his paints, but my only concern would be not to use anything which might have toxic fumes.

A simple and effective accessory, but give it to a steampunker and who knows what trim would appear? My mind even turns to using unpainted film for various accessories (armour?) to give a nice Gothic look - depending on what got X-rayed.

It's a material I hadn't considered, and not everyone would have access to old X-rays. It seems very sturdy and resilient. Tough to perforate but not un-doable.

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 06:28:16 am »

I have about 15 or more kg of x-ray and MRI films stashed away - who knows what I could make out of that!
Melrose
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 09:54:14 am »

I have about 15 or more kg of x-ray and MRI films stashed away - who knows what I could make out of that!

Some very Gothically patterned armour?
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 02:34:24 pm »

Quite possibly! But I am afraid I may have to hang on to them, especially as the most recent ones (all orthopaedic) may still be of use!
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 10:34:55 pm »

Old X-Rays can be quite useful. In the Soviet Union, there was an underground music industry that made flexi-disk records from the plastic sheets.
oprion
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 07:36:00 am »

Old X-Rays can be quite useful. In the Soviet Union, there was an underground music industry that made flexi-disk records from the plastic sheets.

It was called "Music on Bones". Had a few of these recordings. The quality was understandably abysmal, being a crudely made copy of a copy of a copy, but it was a brilliant specimen of soviet counter-culture, along with "samizdat" books and "boiled" jeans.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: