The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 08, 2019, 03:22:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They Shall Not Grow Old: See World War I in Color and 3-D  (Read 2087 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: October 10, 2018, 05:10:50 pm »

New film by Peter Jackson:

They Shall Not Grow Old - Official Trailer (2018)

A documentary. 100 year old war films have been digitally restored, colored, and converted to 3-D, with voices given to the historic soldiers by modern actors.

Has anyone seen it?
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 08:43:50 pm »

New film by Peter Jackson:

They Shall Not Grow Old - Official Trailer (2018)

A documentary. 100 year old war films have been digitally restored, colored, and converted to 3-D, with voices given to the historic soldiers by modern actors.

Has anyone seen it?

It's amazing what a little colour can do all by itself. Let alone with voiceovers and 3D

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 10:13:23 pm »

I would really like to watch this but unfortunately if it's in 3D all I will see is a slightly blurred image as I can't see 3D owing to a vision problem.  Perhaps it will be available on a DVD at some future date.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 10:19:52 pm »

It was on the 'news last night.  Jackson  has an imagion with out limits
Phineas Lamar Alexander
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 06:58:28 pm »

I'm anxious to see this! Peter Jackson is awesome! His film career is an incredible time capsule of growth in an industry that doesn't forgive or forget any failure and yet he has managed to come from a b movie shlock start and make some of the most impressive films of our time.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 07:55:17 pm »

I believe the BBC are going to show this on Remembrance Day; I certainly can't think of a more appropriate commemoration.
Melrose
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 11:50:13 am »

Advertised as in cinemas for one night only - and it was last night! Sad

Jackson seems to have an attachment to the period. I believe he has a museum collection of aircraft which are displayed with all the care for detail that he'd put into setting a movie scene (website - http://www.omaka.org.nz/ ). He produced the audio-visual display for WW1 air combat which is shown on an all-around set of screens in the aircraft gallery of Canberra War Memorial. I think - from the many Fokker Triplanes it shows - it made use for New Zealand's extensive warbird collectors and digitally manipulated them. It's cinema-quality work.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 11:52:25 am by Melrose » Logged
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 08:00:00 pm »

This is on BBC 2 at 9.30pm GMT on Sunday 11th November.  I am sure it will be on their internet catchup service too, but haven't a clue how to make any links to it!
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 07:15:39 pm »

This is on BBC 2 at 9.30pm GMT on Sunday 11th November.  I am sure it will be on their internet catchup service too, but haven't a clue how to make any links to it!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0brzkzx/they-shall-not-grow-old

be quick, only up for 6 days.

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 11:20:19 pm »

Thank you.
I watched it last night and was immensely moved.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 11:01:49 am »

Jackson seems to have an attachment to the period.

Indeed. The film is dedicated to his British grandfather, William John Jackson, who developed a respect for the Kiwi character while fighting alongside the Anzacs at Gallipoli.
 The stories he told are why Peter Jackson's father chose to emigrate to New Zealand.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: