The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 25, 2019, 01:38:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quiet please or Tales from the Reading Room  (Read 1514 times)
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« on: October 05, 2018, 10:54:22 pm »

I worked in a public library for nearly twenty years and frequently have to disabuse people of the idea that they are quiet and genteel places.  From the respectable local citizen who used to tear the articles out of the newspaper to take home and reread, (because he paid for them with his council tax), to the not so respectable citizen who used to sit with the newspaper on his lap, only one hand in view and a happy expression on his face, (just don't go there, we certainly didn't, trust me on this), libraries can certainly be very educational!
If there is any interest I will add to this occasionally for the amusement and general disbelief of my fellow brass gogglers.

And does anyone else have any tales they would like to share?

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 12:05:38 am »

I tried to take out "grown-up books" like Detective novels, Sci-Fi (Scientific Romances) books & possibly reference books on my chilld tickets. Miss Courcelle will know what I mean.

In my defence, I was devouring books written by Wells, Vern & others genres at home.

Miss Courcelle... thank you for this thread.  Smiley

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 12:20:14 am »

Drunk older males heading for the teen section...

I volunteered in a vibrant  local library in a low income area, with a youth focus. Noise was welcomed. Young male staff led holiday programs involving gutter ball,  hip hop dancing, cooking, music appreciation  etc.  The  children  found an interest in books, learning, self care and social connection.  It also meant they weren't hanging in the streets, fighting and being preyed on.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 02:09:36 am »

I started my library borrowing early on, with an adult card at six! Since then I have read my way through every library in every place I lived. Even at high school I would be in the library at every opportunity - if I couldn't be found at the end of lunch (when I was there at all, of course!), one of the nuns would detail off another class member to "Go over to the library and get ----, and bring her back to class, please"
To have had a career in one was just my idea of heaven!

I worked as a civilian librarian in the military system, so misbehaviour from anyone was rare, even if the language was a bit ripe - but if it wasn't directed at me, I didn't 'hear' it! The 'patrons' were under military discipline and training. I have never, ever, heard "Yes please, m'am", "no thank you, m'am", so often! Overall the apprentice age kids were brilliant, but some adults, military and civilian could be a bit snotty, but as they were probably just snotty people anyway ...! Most were grand. 

One of my other jobs was in a discount bookshop - now there's more heaven - staff discount and book discount!
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 11:45:33 pm »

One of my other jobs was in a discount bookshop - now there's more heaven - staff discount and book discount!

You'd love The Hay Festival unless you've already visited? or any other time of the year.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 01:09:07 am »

Wales is a bit far away for me!
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 01:25:04 am »

Wales is a bit far away for me!

Well it's that not much futher than Ireland (as long as you go Westward  Grin. Then Ireland would be futher away)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 04:44:22 am »

I truly believe that if I had not been able to visit libraries and read SF, fantasy, Mystery/Noir Detective and How-To books, I very probably would not have survived my childhood.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 04:47:17 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 05:08:00 am »

*Offers a manly hug to Bailey* we're glad that you're here with us.
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 08:07:28 am »

We had no option but to read books when we were children as we didn't have TV or radio. It wasn't that my parents were technophobes, it was just that we lived in the Australian outback and there was no TV reception and radio could only be picked up at night when the weather was right... sometimes... Eventually we got ABC radio, but my Dad subscribed to the Readers Digest classical music collection, and every couple of months we got a "book" of the dreariest most monotonous classical music that was ever recorded. Thankfully he saw (heard?) the error of his ways and subscribed instead to the Mary Martin Book list. MUCH more entertaining!
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 12:35:23 pm »

Um, my personal best I think was at least 30 books checked out from a library at once... doing a bit of serious research as a kid.

Now, I teach librarians.

Sorontar
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 12:37:54 pm by Sorontar » Logged

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 03:29:55 pm »

I truly believe that if I had not been able to visit libraries and read SF, fantasy, Mystery/Noir Detective and How-To books, I very probably would not have survived my childhood.

Same here, MW - libraries = life savers, in my book!
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 03:31:45 pm »

Um, my personal best I think was at least 30 books checked out from a library at once...

I think 14 standard detective/mystery books over a weekend was one of my best!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2018, 07:29:48 pm »

Um, my personal best I think was at least 30 books checked out from a library at once...

I think 14 standard detective/mystery books over a weekend was one of my best!

I once took out a  shopping trolley load  - the things we do on a dare    Shocked
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2018, 08:52:06 pm »

Before I started working as a 'Saturday girl' (because it was working Saturdays and a couple of evenings to earn pocket money age 15 ... should have been 16, but I got lucky) I used to be in there virtually every time it was open.  We could only borrow 6 books at a time but once I'd got the job that soon changed  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2018, 10:50:09 pm »

I'd have taken more if I could have transported them - the box on the back of my motorbike wasn't that big!
Did you read them all, Hurricane, or was it just the dare?
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 01:55:05 am »

I'd have taken more if I could have transported them - the box on the back of my motorbike wasn't that big!
Did you read them all, Hurricane, or was it just the dare?

Very long saga short.

I used to get a lot of books out, usually the coffee table type. The type with large pictures and   small blurbs of text. Gardening, interior decorating,  castles,  history etc.    Easy read and return.   It was a  library in a low income area  that had a lot of public use   but an issue  with the council trying to close it down  to  cut  the budget.   

The librarians asked myself and several other prolific readers to  order  as many books on as many subjects as we liked, to boost  issuing numbers . It would keep staff employed and keep library open..  So I happily obliged.   I had books on order and went in most days.   Maybe 20 or more  books a week.  I  became an unofficial volunteer round that time.

Then the smaller Borough councils combined into one bigger super city.    It opened up all the libraries accross the city  into one system .  There was initial  chaos and confusion.  Ordered books were coming through in dribs and drabs.   I ordered up large to keep the flow of books coming through. I went through the catalogue one subject at a time, searching  the chosen ones in alphabetical order.   To which new staff would  say " it's almost like you're ordering in alphabetical order". I had about a 100 on order, coming through slowly but surely.

After nearly a year, the system righted itself.  Books suddenly came flowing in.  Suddenly one day there were 20 or so waiting for me.  I took as many as my back pack could carry.   Every day there was more books.   The young staff cheekily told me I should  steal a trolley from the supermarket accross the road. It became a running  joke.     " go on. just steal a trolley".  By this time they had a whole book trolley just for my orders.

Then one day there was  a tsunami of books. 70 came in for me.  I was  working through them  10-15 books a day.   It reached nearly a 100 waiting for me by the end of the week.    They could only stay on hold  for 5 days. It was taking up their space.   Neither staff nor me could   find a solution. I really wanted to rread all those books I had ordered.

Then on my next trip to the library, through the park, I found a supermarket trolley sitting mid field.  Their shocked  looking  faces as I rolled it in through automatic doors was  priceless.

Every now and a gain a new young staff member  would laugh at my stacks and joke  " you should  steal a supermarket trolley"  and wonder why we would all smile and  longer serving staff would say   " don't dare her to do that"
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2018, 05:28:03 am »

In high school I would check out a book before class in the morning, and return it before I went home in the afternoon... And somehow I still made decent grades. The librarians knew me quite well!

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2018, 10:34:25 am »

School holiday. The couch on the balcony. Many books. What a wonderful time it was.

But now I have to admit, many of them I read, but did not read (there are two Russian words that the translator translates the same. Not particularly thought about the meaning).

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: