The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 22, 2019, 10:45:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bermondsey : is it steampunk ? [probabably not. I'd just like to discuss it]  (Read 714 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: October 01, 2018, 09:05:52 am »

The  town of Bermondsey  crops up from time to time in references. It caught my curiosity.  From what I've read on line it's  a part of greater London, built to  house those  evicted by the slum cleatences in the 1800s   it's riverside location gives it an atmosphere in  photos.

Who has lived there or visited there? What is it like? What is the real history?

Humour me
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 09:53:34 am »

http://www.ideal-homes.org.uk/southwark/assets/histories/bermondsey

https://www.google.co.nz/amp/hidden-london.com/gazetteer/bermondsey/amp/

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 12:40:23 pm »

I don't know about 'Steampunk' but there's definitely some 'Edwardian' and 'Punk' going on with The Bermondsey Joyriders.

Here's an old clip from 2012 with my friend Rat on drums....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAm-u84vRqw

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 04:11:16 pm »

I don't know about 'Steampunk' but there's definitely some 'Edwardian' and 'Punk' going on with The Bermondsey Joyriders.

Here's an old clip from 2012 with my friend Rat on drums....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAm-u84vRqw

The nefarious tea drinkers of Bermondsey. Those were wild times.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 10:48:08 pm »

My great- grandfather ran a pub called The Queen Charlotte on Old Jamaica Road in Bermondsey in the 1880's and '90's, and I remember my grandmother telling me stories about her youth there.  It's not a town, more an area of London (then and now), although like most London districts originally it would have been a smaller settlement close to the City, which expanded around it.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 12:55:03 am »

My great- grandfather ran a pub called The Queen Charlotte on Old Jamaica Road in Bermondsey in the 1880's and '90's, and I remember my grandmother telling me stories about her youth there.  It's not a town, more an area of London (then and now), although like most London districts originally it would have been a smaller settlement close to the City, which expanded around it.

Cora, thank you for sharing that story, it's an interesting one. Old Jamaica  Road features in most histories and photo   montages of Bermondsey, on line. It must have been a busy and intriguing street.

What a marvelous edifice! Is it still there?
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 06:09:03 pm »

Thank you for the lovely photo. 
I'm afraid very little of the old road remains.   Most of what survived the blitz in WW2 was redeveloped in the 1960's into a dual carriageway! I realise the traffic has to flow but it does seem a pity.
Interestingly the name H.H.Finch below the pub name was not my grandfather, nor was he resident there in the 1901 census but he was listed in the Post Office Directory as being the landlord from 1884 to 1899 so maybe great-grandfather and family sublet for a while .... or perhaps they just couldn't face getting the scaffolding up to re-paint the sign - it does look a fair way off the ground!

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 12:03:40 am »

Thank you for the lovely photo.  
I'm afraid very little of the old road remains.   Most of what survived the blitz in WW2 was redeveloped in the 1960's into a dual carriageway! I realise the traffic has to flow but it does seem a pity.
Interestingly the name H.H.Finch below the pub name was not my grandfather, nor was he resident there in the 1901 census but he was listed in the Post Office Directory as being the landlord from 1884 to 1899 so maybe great-grandfather and family sublet for a while .... or perhaps they just couldn't face getting the scaffolding up to re-paint the sign - it does look a fair way off the ground!

While looking for images  and history of the Queen Charlotte and other historic  pubs in Bermondsey, I  did stumbled accross a list of  proprietors.  I haven't been able to locate it again.  It was a long list, it appeared to cha nge hands every few years.   Finch  was in the  1870s or 80s.  Possibly a land lord or to befor for your ancestors.

Edit: I found the list. London Pub History  site. It is from the as mentioned post office records.  .
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 12:12:31 am by Hurricane Annie » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: