The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 16, 2019, 05:25:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Promotions Board  (Read 1078 times)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« on: September 30, 2018, 04:25:36 pm »

Seems to me an awfully long time since the Promotions Board last sat - I seem to have been a Zeppelin Captain for an awfully long time - years, in fact!  Grin
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 05:14:51 pm »

It is rather a jump from Captain to Admiral. I won't say how big a jump, but I will say you're getting close.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 01:06:46 am »

I got demoted from Admiral to Captain in the last promotion  restructure. I'm detecting possibly  a  bribery, corruption and casting couch   situation
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 02:20:33 am »

Same thing happened to me, Hurricane! I went from Captain to Admiral & back to Captain very quickly - maybe I should have offered them that airship after all!! Grin Grin
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 05:05:46 am »

Banfili. It looks like there is only one way to reach  top  brass around here. Man the helium pumps
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 08:53:59 am »

I would be more inclined to man the guns, but I don't think mutiny will get one very far - patience, with an attack airship in the wings, on the other hand ....! Grin Grin Grin
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 09:54:55 am »

That's the spirit!
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 12:15:18 pm »

Are the requirements listed somewhere?
Or can only the "chosen few" see how much work is still needed to advance?

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 12:49:17 pm »

Immortals & above (if there's anything above an Immortal! Grin)

I shall just have to be patient, and keep the airship in reserve!
(note to self: finish airship, in a hurry, and DO NOT forget the guns! Or the bullets!)
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 01:44:54 pm »

Or the bullets!

There can only be one.....
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 04:03:24 am »

True enough - I should have said incendiary projectiles!  Grin
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 05:55:32 am »

HHmmm...?

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 08:28:31 am »

I got demoted from Admiral to Captain in the last promotion  restructure. I'm detecting possibly  a  bribery, corruption and casting couch   situation

It's the Victorian version of the Mile High Club. It depends on how much ankle under the bustle dress you have shown  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 08:37:21 am »

I believe the criterion was made public by Siliconous years ago, but I have to check...

Same thing happened to me, Hurricane! I went from Captain to Admiral & back to Captain very quickly - maybe I should have offered them that airship after all!! Grin Grin

I think everyone got hit because the ranking basis changed altogether. I don't remember if it was hours online or number of posts. The problem with hours online is that people could be logged indefinitely gaining "credits" without participating, if I remember correctly. That presents a problem because your participation could be very low and yet you could get a very high rank. If memory serves me well. When we ceased that system, naturally everyone got hit.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 11:03:06 am »

Mr Wilhelm. That  makes sense. The changes would be  a more effective measure.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 01:26:24 pm »

The thread was started in jest, and has just snowballed! On the other hand, it does allow one the freedom to speculate on various means of persuasion and influence, not to mention interference with due process!  Grin
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 03:39:59 pm »

...to speculate on various means of persuasion and influence...

I would opt for high voltage, applied to the unfortunate being who gave the answer I do not like.
Just a few seconds of just a few kilovolts....and then ask the question again.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2018, 02:22:16 am »

I believe the criterion was made public by Siliconous years ago, but I have to check...

I think everyone got hit because the ranking basis changed altogether. I don't remember if it was hours online or number of posts. The problem with hours online is that people could be logged indefinitely gaining "credits" without participating, if I remember correctly. That presents a problem because your participation could be very low and yet you could get a very high rank. If memory serves me well. When we ceased that system, naturally everyone got hit.
The rank system is currently time-based, and has been since shortly after I joined. As I understand it this was deemed preferable to the post-count-based system as the latter tended to encourage "post-whoring," that is, the posting of meaningless comments which simply ran up one's post-count without contributing anything to the community. This is not the case with time-based ranks, except in the case of that one guy, as the system normally logs you out after 15 minutes inactivity. (I still think that one guy's rank should be "A Shadow Out of Time" rather than "Steam Aficionado.") IIRC times for each rank are not published simply to avoid encouraging competitive rank-whoring. Ranks are meant as a bit of fun, not as a goal to be pursued.

I remember the incident of which Banfili and Hurricane Annie speak. IIRC there was some sort of server upgrade which broke the time-rank plugin, and ranks reverted to post-count for a short time until proteus was able to resolve the issue.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2018, 07:54:18 am »

The rank system is currently time-based, and has been since shortly after I joined. As I understand it this was deemed preferable to the post-count-based system as the latter tended to encourage "post-whoring," that is, the posting of meaningless comments which simply ran up one's post-count without contributing anything to the community. This is not the case with time-based ranks, except in the case of that one guy, as the system normally logs you out after 15 minutes inactivity. (I still think that one guy's rank should be "A Shadow Out of Time" rather than "Steam Aficionado.") IIRC times for each rank are not published simply to avoid encouraging competitive rank-whoring. Ranks are meant as a bit of fun, not as a goal to be pursued.

I remember the incident of which Banfili and Hurricane Annie speak. IIRC there was some sort of server upgrade which broke the time-rank plugin, and ranks reverted to post-count for a short time until proteus was able to resolve the issue.

As long as the system can log you out after 15 minutes...

I don't like the Title "Steam Aficionado." Rather than Steampunk, it sounds like the guy has an unhealthy obsession with Sauna baths, or pressed shirts.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2018, 08:19:37 am »

Probably Steamed shirts Mr Wilhelm - either way it's sounds like a sordid 70s thing
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2018, 10:35:09 am »

As long as the system can log you out after 15 minutes...
That One Guy admitted he was using a script of some sort to reload the page within the 15 minute limit. Normal people either couldn't, or wouldn't bother.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 09:36:46 pm »

Wow. I haven't been on the forum in over 3 years. It somehow gives me great comfort knowing people are still posting about the exact same things as when I was an active member. It's almost like I never left  Grin
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 10:49:38 pm »

Welcome back, akumabito!
We are nothing if not consistent!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2018, 11:28:46 pm »

Wow. I haven't been on the forum in over 3 years. It somehow gives me great comfort knowing people are still posting about the exact same things as when I was an active member. It's almost like I never left  Grin

What makes you think you left? Time has no meaning in Brassgoggles
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2018, 10:46:40 pm »

What makes you think you left? Time has no meaning in Brassgoggles

Tha place has become a bit quieter over the years, I noticed...  Cry
But I still see lots of familiar usernames, so tht's good! Someone has to stick around to keep the friendliest place on the internet open  Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: