The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 16, 2019, 11:36:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas for steaming up my gentlemanly suit  (Read 3105 times)
Kensington Locke
Officer
United States United States

« on: September 27, 2018, 12:52:31 am »

I don't have pics of me in the new duds, but I just got my sable brushed frock coat and dark dark green wasitcoat.

They combine with my stripey trousers, a shirt, ascot (purpleish and greys)
for cover, a leather top hat with gear embossing (Blonde Swan)

I've got antique tie pins and a geary steampunk one.

a pair of dark brown oxfords

a "wand" style walking stick, green handle, black shaft

----
Character-wise my plan has been to be the same person, Kensington Locke, Cpt. (retired) and this is my non-adventuring, ensemble (suitable for actual steampunked datenight).

In the mundane world, this is already steampunk, the hat is a subtle nod to gluing some gears on it.

But I'll be attending Steampunk November (Mansfield, TX) and this outfit doesn't quite stand out from a Dickens on the Strand attendee (Galveston, TX)

---
Parts I have:

goggles that dented my expensive hat the first time I put them on it so they ain't going on the hat

an Aetheric Compression Pistol from LaMatte Industries but no gun belt (adventure mode solves this with my bandoleer to hang the holster from)

a bandoleer that is part of adventure-mode Kensington Locke

a fair pile of gears that I'm not enthused about gluing onto the frock coat Smiley

vacuum tubes for that thing I haven't invented yet

a Tesla watch (the cool one from ThinkGeek.com)

several pocket watches, including a Galifreyan and State Alchemist's

black boots in an engineer style (might be a good idea to where those in Adventure mode, use the oxfords for dressed up mode)

an australian suede hat that looks good in Adventure Mode (with/without  goggles on it)

---
There's a month before the event season starts, I can probably craft something if the right idea comes up.  I suspect that less is more, meaning just the right accessories or addition will do the trick.  I'm less inclined to add a gun, I like the differentiation this formal mode offers from the rugged adventure mode.

Any ideas?  When I get a chance this weekend, I'll try to add a pic of me in the new duds, which might horrify or inspire.  There's a pic of me on here in the adventure-mode version, which shows other bits I have.

Thanks in advance,
Kensington Locke
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 08:03:04 am »

Badges. Even if they are from the local bowling club. Try a charity shop  for a selection of  military or  honourable looking  pieces.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 08:18:00 pm »

Badges. Even if they are from the local bowling club. Try a charity shop  for a selection of  military or  honourable looking  pieces.

Thats a good idea.  Not sure if I want pin holes in my new coat yet... Smiley

I did get a nice Star Trek TMP captain's pin in a grab bag.  Turned it sideways and stuck it on my aeronaut's vest with my attendance medal.

I also have a PsiCorp badge and Ranger pin from B5.  The ranger pin would look nice, reminiscent of the show actually.  Or make/find some other medal as you suggest.

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 09:38:17 pm »

And medals of course, for deeds that you are far too modest to mention!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 01:47:36 am »

Bearing in mind the coat is a cheap op shop find, here is a  shot of it with badges, self appointed medals  and a pimped cap. I rigged it up for a steampunk gathering in Paeroa.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 02:13:10 am »

The right accessories can lend an air  to an outfit.  Hats, gloves, belts, ties, bags,  wrist bands, boots. A Barracks cover or garrison cap can be adapted  to  a steam or diesel mood and transform an outfit. Add a belt with a large metal buckle  and gloves. Hey Presto  you can fly a zeppelin.

Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 05:23:49 pm »

Thanks for the ideas thus far. Not sure if medals will work on this one, but I did a quick dress test with only the hat and stick for accessories

The final outfit will include a pocket watch hung on the wasitcoat, and my flip-up spectacles with light reduction filters.

But it gives a sense of where the main pieces are and whether it makes sense to add anything.

I like the first pic from Annie, the ornamentation on the suit seems subtle, which I think is what I'm looking for in this outfit
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 12:59:34 am »

You will look  fabulously splendid Mr Locke. Your accessorising  sounds just the right touch.  The cane  and  marvelous waistcoat  lend a debonaire look
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 01:32:57 am »

I like the look and I agree that it has more the look of a gentleman adventurer than an officer so carried accessories might work better than attached ones.  e.g. a holster for a telescope, a courier bag full of maps etc.

(Quick reminder about medals from a discussion a few years ago.  Steampunk and invented medals (3rd Kangaroo Kavalry / Veteran of the Battle of Spuzzum / etc) are fine but actual military medals should only be worn by those who have earned them or, on rare occasions, by family members in memory of those who did.)
Melrose
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 05:50:40 am »

I have been costuming for Steampunk for about five minutes, compared to other members, but I agree with Hurricane Annie. Don't undersell the look you already have, from the picture it's just a matter of simple details for the last layer. A fob watch and chain on the vest is a good start.

I also don't like goggles ruining a good hat. Wear them on one sleeve like an armband. You can poke a few feathers in the hatband, but I like it as it is in your pic.

To me, it's an easy tweak to have a couple of crossed belts hanging from your trouser belt or waistband, slung low like gun-belts (so they are below the line of the vest). You can get vinyl cheapies at local costume and party shops, or get more ambitious and shop online at various fashion stores, unless you are blessed with a supply of belts, belt pouches, or raw materials and the skills to work them. They remain subtle, insofar as people will notice them under your frock coat.

And at that point, if I saw you at some steampunk gathering, I'd tip my hat and engage you in chat about where you found various items. As you say, subtle.

Is it steampunk if you stick some gears on it? Cheesy Some would say not... but gauges, on the other hand... I have a nice whisky flask in brass and leather, with a gauge (depth gauge?) on the outside, which hangs nicely on a belt. I can be tempted by wrist bracers with a gauge and a bit of plumbing.

Would a gentleman carry a weapon on a social occasion? Well, yes, but pocket sized, only to be produced if a member of the lower classes needed a lesson in manners. I've fitted quaint flintlocks into regular, cheap plastic holsters, no sweat.  If your frock coat has decent pockets, some kind of derringer, perhaps.

Boots? By all means, and if they look anachronistic, well, yes, they should probably.

All easy to do. Harder to do - a mechanical shoulder piece, a portable flamethrower ... oh, but you spoke of a steampunk date night. Beg pardon!  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 05:55:04 am by Melrose » Logged
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 05:16:05 pm »

Spats for shoes or gaiters for boots? One way to indicate that said gentleman is more than just a well dressed upper class man... You are expected to walk off the beaten path. Practicality demands shoe protection.

I made my own from suede. See this thread:
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49217.msg984970.html#msg984970

Right click to zoom

« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 05:50:24 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 04:02:25 pm »

Thanks for all the additional ideas..

Spats: need to look into

Flask: i believe we might have the same one...from ThinkGeek?  Mine is mounted on the bandoleer/baldric I have for adventure mode at present

Pouches: as a rennie, I have more pouches than I can wear at one time Smiley

Belts: several, but I'll have to see what fits and stays up (these are classic trousers, no belt loops, per another thread of mine...)

Pockets: sadly, only one interior pocket on the coat, but good pockets on the trouser for keys and phone

Now for a tailoring question.  What do y'all think of the length of those coat sleeves and pantlegs?  Maybe a hair (or inch) too long?

I've got awesome steampunk cufflinks that will never be glimpsed with the sleeves as they are...

I've got a friend who can do alterations, and there's a few weeks before go-time yet to tighten up the fit.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 01:27:07 am »

Thanks for all the additional ideas..

Spats: need to look into

Flask: i believe we might have the same one...from ThinkGeek?  Mine is mounted on the bandoleer/baldric I have for adventure mode at present

Belts: several, but I'll have to see what fits and stays up (these are classic trousers, no belt loops, per another thread of mine...)

Pockets: sadly, only one interior pocket on the coat, but good pockets on the trouser for keys and phone

Now for a tailoring question.  What do y'all think of the length of those coat sleeves and pantlegs?  Maybe a hair (or inch) too long?

I've got awesome steampunk cufflinks that will never be glimpsed with the sleeves as they are...

I've got a friend who can do alterations, and there's a few weeks before go-time yet to tighten up the fit.

Yes. An inch less on the pant hem / cuffs is required and is an easy fix. Most alteration places will do that for about $15 USD

Also perhaps a bow-type cravat would be a better fit for a gentleman adventurer, and you could wear that just like a regular tie in the collar of your modern button-down shirt:

http://ushist.com/mens_1800s_clothing/q-1713c_victorian_cravat_civil-war_necktie.shtml
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 01:31:43 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Melrose
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 03:49:54 am »

Flask: i believe we might have the same one...from ThinkGeek?  Mine is mounted on the bandoleer/baldric I have for adventure mode at present

Now for a tailoring question.  What do y'all think of the length of those coat sleeves and pantlegs?  Maybe a hair (or inch) too long?

Looks like we both shopped at ThinkGeek! Wink
Even without belt loops, if you wear a vest it will hide a belt on which you can suspend low-slung belts to carry your gear, to show below the vest. You'll see what I mean on the post before yours in the "Where did you start" thread, from which this unflattering pic comes. And the flask we mentioned.

Maybe a little off your cuffs, for the sake of the awesome cuff links.
Quin
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Not mad, just a little odd...

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 03:28:48 am »

It might be too late for this now (depending how much you enjoy the time-honoured last-minute-before-the-event-costume-alterations frenzy) but the frock coat could do with a little jazzing up.  Leather bands around the cuffs, contrasty fabric covering the lapels, or a fancy trim, epaulets if you're going for a military look...lots of options.  All in all, you look quite snazzy (with the pants hemmed) as is. 
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 02:48:24 pm »

Not too late yet.  And ideas can always be used later... Smiley

I'm mainly going for gentleman-about-town look than a military one.  The adventure mode outfit has more military aspect with a medal and rank insignia and vials filled with mysterious things and a pistol for violence fighting.

Eventually I'll want a third outfit, the plan was to get a purple waistcoat to go with my green silk ascot (not pictured here) as a good half-way step (it's me, but in a different color) and then find another coat, perhaps black for formal wear, or I'll dress down for incognito work.

With this outfit, I'm on the fence about afixing anything to the frock coat (it wasn't cheap).  But time will pass as will newness, opening the way for modification amicability Smiley

Ultimately, I envision the character and his companions as analogs to Stargate SG-1.  We travel to adjacent realities, with several changes of clothes, learn about variances, and it helps to blend in or be dressed for the occasion.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2018, 01:31:41 am »

You can add purple or green gloves. if not available you can buy white cotton gloves and dye them to match your outfit. There doesn't appear to be a buttonhole in the collar of your coat, if there was I would have recommended hanging a medal from it.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 02:24:38 am »

Here's a version of me at Steampunk November.  Had to wear my boots because of the muck, and later that day I found an antiqued metal medal I added to the lapel, very reminiscent of that one example that I liked, probably why I bought it. Smiley

This pic has had the coat and trousers hemmed.  The hand plate covers an old battle wound (Remember the RTS Alamo!).  It may one day evolve into an articulated hand augment.  I figure using it across outfits helps connect that this is the same character.

I chose a grey shirt to mix it up from the other outfit (plus that shirt has an altered collar that works better with the cravat instead of an ascot).  I also found another pair of trousers, but they'll need hemming before I can really use them.  I'm not actually short, but dang Frontier Classics must have long legged models.

Overall, I'm pleased with it.  I can see strolling about The Woodlands with the missus and striking the right level of "those folk ain't like the rest of us"

I didn't get a good pic of the Adventure Mode Me, had the festival badge in the way and some general dishevelment I would have liked to have noticed before the pic was taken in a hurry.

I did not win the Steam Dog Poetry Slam, but I did look good reading mine Smiley

Thanks to everybody for the help.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 04:51:42 am »

You look very dashing there Mr Locke
Melrose
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2018, 07:49:03 am »

That's come together nicely! Cheesy
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 07:26:02 pm »

The waistcoat adds a very pleasing splash of colour; a very refined outfit indeed.

Yours,
Miranda.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 02:09:52 am »

Thanks!  I think I'll wear it for Dickens on the Strand in December with the new trousers, which has a dark green stripe pattern.

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 05:56:00 pm »

The green is lovely and with matching or coordinating cravat and pocket handkerchief would look so Christmassy.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2018, 12:06:30 am »

The green is lovely and with matching or coordinating cravat and pocket handkerchief would look so Christmassy.

Bah!  Humbug!

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 09:05:31 pm »

Bah!  Humbug!

Ah yes, mint humbugs of course,very seasonal and perhaps a few mince pies? Wink
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: