The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2019, 03:49:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The tea tycoon who was 'the world's best loser'  (Read 690 times)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« on: September 23, 2018, 09:04:36 am »

The tea tycoon who was 'the world's best loser'

Say the name Lipton, and most people think of tea. But behind that brand lies the extraordinary story of a rags-to-riches tycoon, self-publicist, philanthropist and sportsman who was honoured as "the world's best loser".

In early December 1881, a steamer docked in Glasgow, carrying an extraordinary cargo from America. The world's largest cheese.

Two feet thick and with a circumference of 14ft (4m), hundreds of onlookers gathered to watch it being transported by traction engine to the Lipton's store in the High Street - where it was found to be too large to fit through the door. (c) BBC '18

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: