The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 24, 2019, 05:14:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Ttmyg WTF? <split post> Computer thread  (Read 936 times)
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« on: August 28, 2018, 01:39:10 pm »

I tried to fix the link above, but could not get it to work. Looks like Youtube has changed something recently, the video embedding is broken again.  Roll Eyes

WTF is up with youtube, it's like they go out of their way to annoy people thesedays!  Huh
It works okay for me...

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 05:30:32 pm »

I tried to fix the link above, but could not get it to work. Looks like Youtube has changed something recently, the video embedding is broken again.  Roll Eyes

WTF is up with youtube, it's like they go out of their way to annoy people thesedays!  Huh
It works okay for me...

The link itself works if I click on it, I go to youtube, but I cannot get the embedded video to display on the forum - All I see is the link spaced out with the positioning of where the video should be.  Used to work for me, bot not now. Using Chromium 65 on the Debian Arm Linux distro.   Undecided

So are others still seeing the embedded video on the forum page then?

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 08:40:19 pm »

It works okay for me...

The link itself works if I click on it, I go to youtube, but I cannot get the embedded video to display on the forum - All I see is the link spaced out with the positioning of where the video should be.  Used to work for me, bot not now. Using Chromium 65 on the Debian Arm Linux distro.   Undecided

Can still embed and see properly on an old copy of Firefox in Ubuntu 12 (desktop)... But increasingly I'm being forced to update Ubutu to a newer version if I want a newer browser. Most other old legacy browsers cannot display de embedded video, but show the space for the video frame and the subtitle (like compact browsers in Android phones and iPhones do).

von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 12:35:52 am »

It works okay for me...

Can still embed and see properly on an old copy of Firefox in Ubuntu 12 (desktop)... But increasingly I'm being forced to update Ubutu to a newer version if I want a newer browser. Most other old legacy browsers cannot display de embedded video, but show the space for the video frame and the subtitle (like compact browsers in Android phones and iPhones do).
Using Firefox 61 on Ubuntu 14 LTS here.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 09:44:07 am »

It works okay for me...

I'd go for 18.04 LTS if my hardware could take it. On Ubu 12 I can only go up to Mozilla 48.0. I have to upgrade and it's very fast, but a) I have to backup all my data (I archive in segments corresponding to each "generation" of computer/OS) and b) I don't know it it's worth it to keep my old hardware or just build a new PC. I'm still on an Athlon 64 X 2 on a AM3+ MoBo with a mere 2GB RAM (barely upgradeable to 4GB I think. I want an SS hard drive as the ones I have are already showing signs of age. Not to worried on data corruption, I have it stored on two drives, but the glass plate HDD's are very old.So basically I need a whole new PC and I'm out of touch with the latest hardware. What is considered good today?
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 10:51:52 pm »

It works okay for me...

I'd go for 18.04 LTS if my hardware could take it. On Ubu 12 I can only go up to Mozilla 48.0. I have to upgrade and it's very fast, but a) I have to backup all my data (I archive in segments corresponding to each "generation" of computer/OS) and b) I don't know it it's worth it to keep my old hardware or just build a new PC. I'm still on an Athlon 64 X 2 on a AM3+ MoBo with a mere 2GB RAM (barely upgradeable to 4GB I think. I want an SS hard drive as the ones I have are already showing signs of age. Not to worried on data corruption, I have it stored on two drives, but the glass plate HDD's are very old.So basically I need a whole new PC and I'm out of touch with the latest hardware. What is considered good today?

"Good" is pretty much dictated by your needs, a high end gaming rig is a different world to a low power single board computer like the Raspberry Pi... same goes with the costs.  Undecided

Shall we split this topic so as not to derail this thread?  Yes, no, maybe?...
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 01:12:52 am »

"Good" is pretty much dictated by your needs, a high end gaming rig is a different world to a low power single board computer like the Raspberry Pi... same goes with the costs.  Undecided

I vote "Yes." I'm interested in this too.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 11:49:29 am »

.....Annnd done!
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 08:19:10 pm »

Thank you my Good Skummins

I too am experiencing recent strangeness across different versions of WIN and browsers.

thus I find this discussion most illuminating....

I had delusions that switching to Linux would "fix everything" ... but I guess not.

pray continue....

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 06:11:36 am »

It works okay for me...

I'm basically an underemployed engineer with no penchant for gaming whatsoever. Been using dual core 64 bit AMD chips in microATX platforms since forever, it seems. APUs are more than enough for me for that reason, as opposed to dedicated video graphics cards. The web browsers insatiable need for RAM is usually the worst problem I encounter. Office suites and Intrenet are basically the only things I do nowadays, save using GiMP/Photoshop. Until I get a serious job, I won't be needing very high performance, but I find that "middle of the road" performance in PC is a good rule of thumb, for upgrade-ability purposes. Linux traditionally has worked best with nVidia graphics, but so much time has passed since the last time I built a computer that may not matter any more and I see AMD purchased ATI in 2006, so AMD APU's are all using ATI tech by default.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 07:16:44 pm »

I was going to post a reply to this topic on Thursday evening, however I had an accident when replacing a linear halogen bulb - it shattered during removal and pretty much sliced my fingers to shreds on my right hand. A lot of blood involved...
Anyhow, the cuts are healing and are being held together by superglue (I always carry a tube for this reason), so I can type again, but still a bit limited in speed.

Back to topic:

<snip>
no penchant for gaming whatsoever.

<snip>
The web browsers insatiable need for RAM is usually the worst problem I encounter.

<snip>
Office suites and Intrenet are basically the only things I do nowadays, save using GiMP/Photoshop.

<snip>
 Linux traditionally has worked best with nVidia graphics, but so much time has passed since the last time I built a computer that may not matter any more and I see AMD purchased ATI in 2006, so AMD APU's are all using ATI tech by default.

Well, I have similar requirements for computer use, basically I do a little Gimp editing, Youtube / other video sharing websites, watch "catch up TV" streaming services, and a bit of LibreOffice use for business reasons. About 2 years ago I was using an old AMDX2 4400 OCed to something much higher (no idea what equivalent model number, but was up around 2.7Ghz actual clock speed), this served me well enough until I had to reduce my electricity costs, and this bugger pulled a near constant 200 - 250W 24/7 just at idle, was around 600 - 700W at full tilt. The machine needed to be up 24/7 as it ran a number of things such as part of my security system, and my VOIP phone system.

I replaced this with a £30 Raspberry Pi 3. Reasonable performance (circa 10 year old laptop), well supported for an SBC, most problems can be answered or solutions already exist on the forums, and it has VERY low power requirements. Earlier this year I upgraded to the newest RPI 3B+ which has a faster clock speed and additional features. Currently running at an overclocked 1550Mhz (some are hitting the hardware clock limit of 1.6Ghz), and it is plenty fast enough for my needs. Also I use a 1Tb hard disk for storage and booting the OS (over USB)
Biggest downside: Only 1Gb of RAM. However installing "Zram" to compress the ram into four separate RAM drives / swap partitions (one per CPU) prevents any major issues, and works well enough.

Problem is, my solution uses an ARM CPU, and this means that native x86 code is not going to work, so unless your intended software runs under ExaGear Desktop (reasonably fast x86 emulation costs about $30) or the software has been ported to ARM, then you may have issues...

While a roughly $35 computer is nice and cheap, it obviously isn't for everyone. However it does demonstrate that current technology is sufficiently fast that even a true budget build can be fully capable of daily tasks for most people.
A decent budget build (assuming you have keyboard, mouse, monitor and case) is something along the lines of :

•AMD Ryzen 3 2200G / 3.5 GHz processor
•8 GB of DDR3 Ram
•2TB HDD

As for the motherboard just get your basic micro ATX board (if you have / get a micro ATX case) and stick to a reliable brand. Asus is my go to default for reliability.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 03:06:05 am »

I was going to post a reply to this topic on Thursday evening, however I had an accident when replacing a linear halogen bulb - it shattered during removal and pretty much sliced my fingers to shreds on my right hand. A lot of blood involved...
Anyhow, the cuts are healing and are being held together by superglue (I always carry a tube for this reason), so I can type again, but still a bit limited in speed.

Back to topic:

<snip>
no penchant for gaming whatsoever.

<snip>
The web browsers insatiable need for RAM is usually the worst problem I encounter.

<snip>
Office suites and Intrenet are basically the only things I do nowadays, save using GiMP/Photoshop.

<snip>
 Linux traditionally has worked best with nVidia graphics, but so much time has passed since the last time I built a computer that may not matter any more and I see AMD purchased ATI in 2006, so AMD APU's are all using ATI tech by default.

Well, I have similar requirements for computer use, basically I do a little Gimp editing, Youtube / other video sharing websites, watch "catch up TV" streaming services, and a bit of LibreOffice use for business reasons. About 2 years ago I was using an old AMDX2 4400 OCed to something much higher (no idea what equivalent model number, but was up around 2.7Ghz actual clock speed), this served me well enough until I had to reduce my electricity costs, and this bugger pulled a near constant 200 - 250W 24/7 just at idle, was around 600 - 700W at full tilt. The machine needed to be up 24/7 as it ran a number of things such as part of my security system, and my VOIP phone system.

I replaced this with a £30 Raspberry Pi 3. Reasonable performance (circa 10 year old laptop), well supported for an SBC, most problems can be answered or solutions already exist on the forums, and it has VERY low power requirements. Earlier this year I upgraded to the newest RPI 3B+ which has a faster clock speed and additional features. Currently running at an overclocked 1550Mhz (some are hitting the hardware clock limit of 1.6Ghz), and it is plenty fast enough for my needs. Also I use a 1Tb hard disk for storage and booting the OS (over USB)
Biggest downside: Only 1Gb of RAM. However installing "Zram" to compress the ram into four separate RAM drives / swap partitions (one per CPU) prevents any major issues, and works well enough.

Problem is, my solution uses an ARM CPU, and this means that native x86 code is not going to work, so unless your intended software runs under ExaGear Desktop (reasonably fast x86 emulation costs about $30) or the software has been ported to ARM, then you may have issues...

While a roughly $35 computer is nice and cheap, it obviously isn't for everyone. However it does demonstrate that current technology is sufficiently fast that even a true budget build can be fully capable of daily tasks for most people.
A decent budget build (assuming you have keyboard, mouse, monitor and case) is something along the lines of :

•AMD Ryzen 3 2200G / 3.5 GHz processor
•8 GB of DDR3 Ram
•2TB HDD

As for the motherboard just get your basic micro ATX board (if you have / get a micro ATX case) and stick to a reliable brand. Asus is my go to default for reliability.

Thanks for the tips. Yeah I got a case and peripherals. I'd most likely need a new PSU, and ASUS for motherboards is a nice option. I'll loom into the Ryzen. Sould be an easy build, and I'll probably fill 0.75 TB from my backup files plus new OS...

Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: