The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 24, 2019, 06:00:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Railway Journeys in the Regions  (Read 1346 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: August 29, 2018, 10:58:17 pm »

I have been meandering  through  footage of the Manawatu and Wairarapa  regions of New Zealand. Along with fascinating aerial and drive by vids, were  rail riding  filming. 

Here is a selection of recent and historic you tube clips  that I found quite soothing.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 11:05:43 pm »

Through the Wairarapa.  This is a nostalgic sort of trip.
http://youtu.be/KNu6I2Y30J8

A historic  last train ride in the Manawatu.  NZ started closing rail lines in the 50s.   It's a decision that has been long regretted.
 http://youtu.be/ZqF-39E7ELU

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 01:40:20 am »

There is one particularly I would like to do, & that is the Indian Pacific either way - east-west or the reverse. The Ghan from south to north or vice versa would be ok, to. But in another region altogether, I wouldn't mind the Trans-Canadian in autumn!

Mind you, the train trip from Wodonga to Melbourne I am taking on Saturday, and returning on Sunday, leaves a lot to be desired - probably the most boring four hour each way trip on the planet!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 01:43:07 am by Banfili » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 03:36:57 am »

There is one particularly I would like to do, & that is the Indian Pacific either way - east-west or the reverse. The Ghan from south to north or vice versa would be ok, to. But in another region altogether, I wouldn't mind the Trans-Canadian in autumn!

Mind you, the train trip from Wodonga to Melbourne I am taking on Saturday, and returning on Sunday, leaves a lot to be desired - probably the most boring four hour each way trip on the planet!

Orange sand for most of the way?

That Ghan one is supposed to be  a good one
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 06:26:29 am »

An ride on the "Chepe" (Chihuahua-Pacific) train along the Copper Canyon in the remote "Wild West" of Northwestern Mexico

The Copper Canyon and El Chepe Train in Mexico (Hot Springs, Adventure Park and More)

El Chepe Train Mexico; Spectacular Copper Canyon / Sierra Madre train journey HD 1080

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 09:56:33 am »

Thank you for sharing. That is an amazing place.

[ a little disappointed   there was no mobs of wee chihuahua beasties chasing unsuspecting foreigners]
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 04:23:44 pm »

Mostly more red than orange - it's not called the Red Centre for nothing!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 12:11:27 am »

Mostly more red than orange - it's not called the Red Centre for nothing!

Flying across the Nullaboor, it's 5 hours of orange sand  and  blue sky
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 03:49:36 am »

Lots of ochre to white flats too, etc., depending on where you fly!
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 04:24:16 pm »

Orange sand for most of the way?

That Ghan one is supposed to be  a good one

The trouble with the new Ghan is that it is a moderately expensive ride, but people expect it to be worth a lot more than it is, given the sheer cost of travelling there just to get on the train. The Gulflander seems to have similar problems.

More economical would be the Kuranda Scenic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO5o5mJGJG0&t=63s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Md_6Wpcwdo

Or if you are in Victoria, the Bellarine Peninsular:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZWz9mk5KXI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fI3XFmOtqU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3xetostjg8

I am about to take a ride on the Spirit of Queensland next month, the most boring parts there are ones you should be asleep for anyway as it is the middle of the night.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 04:26:36 pm by chironex » Logged

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 11:48:31 am »

While it was fascinating to see some of these places in the light, the fact remained that we ended up well over three hours late, due to heat restrictions, a medical emergency, storms which disabled all the signalling between Bundaberg and Maryborough, and Control, when we we were just about to leave Maryborough West, allowing another train onto the section ahead of us.

More successful was the Sunday morning trip to the Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway, at Bundamba:

Travelling to Swanbank:

Behind these:

In these:

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 06:08:39 pm »

Thank you for the wonderful journeys.  Trains travel is a great way to view the landscape
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 04:18:42 am »

Except travelling between Albury-Wodonga and Melbourne, which just happens to be one the most boring 3.5 hours on the planet!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 09:55:23 pm »

Except travelling between Albury-Wodonga and Melbourne, which just happens to be one the most boring 3.5 hours on the planet!

3.5 hours one just can't get back
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 12:00:33 am »

3.5 hours one just can't get back

How true is that!
Galway to Dublin at night in the rain is more interesting!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 09:37:05 am »

One from the archives [silent footage (though Black Sabbath was perversely on my radio as a back track) ]

Wairarapa Diesel/Steam Excursion, Ab 832, June 1966

NZ Steam at its Best - 2014
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: