The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 26, 2019, 11:13:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Historical Curiosities Topic...Post Your Oddities Here  (Read 900 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: August 19, 2018, 11:35:25 pm »

I am creating this thread to post interesting things that are relevant to steampunk, but which may not be worthy of a topic all to themselves.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 11:40:25 pm »

Inaugural reponse:

Photo spreading through social media:

It was a very brief time in which heroin was legal and motorcycles were a viable delivery vehicle. The parts of the ad have been cropped away, but the delivery locations mentioned seem to be in San Diego, California.
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 04:47:53 pm »

Delivery via motorcycle, probably costs extra these days, but might be a new option for Uber, or Lyft...

If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 09:57:02 pm »

The First Vending Machine Hacked Liquor Laws: The Puss and Mew

From the Hack A Day article:

It is fair to say that many technologies have been influenced by human vices. What you may not realize is that vending machines saw their dawn in this way, the first vending machine was created to serve booze. Specifically, it was created to serve gin, the tipple of choice of the early 18th century. it was created as a hack to get around a law that made it harder to sell alcoholic drinks. It was the first ever vending machine: the Puss and Mew.

https://hackaday.com/2018/08/23/the-first-vending-machine-hacked-liquor-laws-the-puss-and-mew/

While the Puss and Mew is neither the first vending machine nor, in fact, a machine (more of a man-behind-the-curtain) it is, IMHO, an interesting historical curiosity.

Photo by Jules on Flickr

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 09:55:15 pm »

I recently saw a documentary about the 1964 New York World's Fair. There was a film clip of a display from the IBM pavilion with stylized automated figures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson:

In the film clip, Holmes opens hit coat to reveal that he is filled with whirling machinery.

I also found this, a show program:

I found something on the Henry Ford Museum's web site:
https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/digital-collections/artifact/379883#slide=gs-298924
Described as the last remaining architectural element from the IBM pavilion; this "kiosk" is actually a canopy of late 19th century style in whimsical colors. The web site won't allow me to pull the URL for the photo; I was able to cull this cropped image from the page source:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: