The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 24, 2019, 04:53:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P&S Camera  (Read 1876 times)
RT Livingstone
Gunner
United States United States

malarkey!

« on: August 11, 2018, 04:36:56 pm »

Not very elaborate. Just paint, glue, gears, chains, some faux gauges and done. But I like it. It’s small enough to carry and takes acceptable pictures in good light.

Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 05:25:15 pm »

clever way to keep from losing the lense cover
Anselmofanzero
Gunner
Germany Germany

Custom Builds on Request

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 10:50:15 pm »

No offense, but this is exactly the kinda steampunk that people laugh about. Glued on gears and gold paint.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 09:44:08 am »

No offense, but this is exactly the kinda steampunk that people laugh about. Glued on gears and gold paint.
As soon as a sentence starts with the words No offense, you just know a derogatory comment will follow. People have to start somewhere, not everyone has access to a lathe, a workshop full of tools and electrical/electronic know how.

Good effort my good man, please do post more pictures of anything you do.

Maybe try and avoid glued on gears.

Many thanks for taking the time to post and keep your mind juices flowing!

RT Livingstone
Gunner

malarkey!

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 06:37:50 pm »

No offense, but the only people who laugh about it are steampunks who take this stuff (and their make believe toys) way too seriously.
Ephriam Lunchwaiste
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 07:48:01 pm »

I quite like it- very nice indeed!
Anselmofanzero
Gunner
Germany Germany

Custom Builds on Request

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 09:35:13 pm »

Some people want to be offended by everything. Im an adult, I dont have to give standing ovations for spraypaint and glued on gears.

Never said its shitts, its clean, you cant see any seems or puddles of glue. As a guy putting in hundreds of hours and never beeing happy
with his own stuff when its done, I can speak my mind!
RT Livingstone
Gunner

malarkey!

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 11:03:09 pm »

I'm not offended. You can't offend me. You would have to know me to be able to do that.

I didn't ask for a standing ovation. I kind of derided it myself in the OP. I took pride in it because of my meager arts and crafts abilities, which I fully acknowledge. Sorry I didn't solder a brass candlestick on the lens.

Believe me I've seen a lot more laughable sh*t in steampunk than this camera.

So I'm guessing you don't want to see my painted Nerf guns?
Anselmofanzero
Gunner
Germany Germany

Custom Builds on Request

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 11:37:07 pm »

Of course I do.

And I never said its shitty...but I have..lets say high standards. Glueing gears on and paint it takes 10 min.
I rather take an honest opinion than sugar up my ass.

Just to make sure you dont think Im a talker. Here is my nerf. A lever action mod.

Anselmofanzero
Gunner
Germany Germany

Custom Builds on Request

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 02:00:06 pm »

Dont be shy now...show me your nerf.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 05:41:37 pm »

Dont be shy now...show me your nerf.

Mr. Fanzero. Please don't take offence, but I don't think the OP is going to post again if he feels this a contest to determine superiority of skills between two makers. He's already been dressed down for posting a build "below your standard." He's unlikely to post a second time if he feels he'll be shot down again.

[mod hat]As a friendly reminder. We are a community that welcomes all makers regardless of their skill level. I would ask all in this thread to remember that and mind your manners.[/mod hat]

Anselmofanzero
Gunner
Germany Germany

Custom Builds on Request

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 06:27:05 pm »

I dont care how you take my "no emoticon" posts, but when I say I WANNA SEE IT, then I wanna see it, just because
I am into nerf. I am not showing off, I am not trying to talk him down -.- cant believe I have to write that again. Just because 10 of you noodles
try to be right with that assumption no matter what, does not mean YOU are right!
I just said its "the typical steampunk" AGAIN, never said it looks poor or poorly made! What is wrong with you guys??? Why do you wanna brand me the bad guy here??
Does not feel like a community at all if you HAVE to sugar coat everything. You want him to get better? Improve skill? Stop sugar coat his bum!
It looks clean, well made, just "too typical steampunky" for me (much effort on me)!
And again....I hate repeating myself! When I say NO OFFENSE, I MEAN no offense, no matter what you thin-skinned guys "think" ok? Now I am really dissappointed!
There was a "discussion" about my style weeks ago, with some guy who could not really work with it, who came to my rescue? Mr WeAreCommunity.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 06:40:25 pm by Anselmofanzero » Logged
RT Livingstone
Gunner

malarkey!

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 06:54:54 pm »

Again just paint and glue- I did take the time to sand off the Nerf Logo

Anselmofanzero
Gunner
Germany Germany

Custom Builds on Request

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 09:07:07 pm »

Not bad. I never sand it off, in the end, its still a nerf :p Whats that lil gauge there?? Looks like a meter, but superthin.
Salvaged or fake? Looks good.
If you wanna beef it up a bit without much effort, put on some tubing! Specially with a pressure gauge on, it will look
awsumm.
RT Livingstone
Gunner

malarkey!

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 06:57:47 pm »

Here is another. This is a water gun I picked up in the dollar store.

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 05:24:32 pm »

Oooh, this one is fun, lots of luverly twiddly bits and a slight 'I'm a bit battered because I've been used' feel.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
RT Livingstone
Gunner

malarkey!

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 09:07:01 pm »

Oooh, this one is fun, lots of luverly twiddly bits and a slight 'I'm a bit battered because I've been used' feel.

Thanks. The gauge says "stun, maim, and kill." Of course I have it set to kill.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2018, 09:54:50 pm »

For a dollar that is a rather fine gun with an equally fine paint job.

Thanks. The gauge says "stun, maim, and kill." Of course I have it set to kill.

Very wise - you can't take any chances with those darned Martian invaders.

Yours,
Miranda.
Deimos
Gunner

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 10:42:46 pm »

Or Morlocks

People will almost always forgive you when you are wrong.
They will never forgive you for being right.
RT Livingstone
Gunner

malarkey!

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 02:58:50 pm »

another dollar store watergun

LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 12:05:13 pm »

Not very elaborate. Just paint, glue, gears, chains, some faux gauges and done. But I like it. It’s small enough to carry and takes acceptable pictures in good light.

I like it! Smiley The colour scheme is nice, and the gears on the lens cap look neat! Smiley

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 04:26:56 pm »

Some fine nerf punk weapons.

I've a practical theory about painting nerf punk I'd like to see if you agree with.  When I see grooves and implied segmentation of parts in the plastic, I prefer to paint it a different color (from the chosen pallete of faux materials like brass, copper, wood, gun-metal, etc).  What do y'all think of that?

You can see some of that in effect on the scope of RT's gun.  The alternation of brass vs. grey metal as the mounting pieces wrap the scope make it pop.  Places where you see one color, but disparate "pieces" on the gun look more like painted plastic to my eye.

I'm sure there's a fine line between alternating color at every single groove, but the concept seems to mask the mono-material nature of the plastic better.

---
Back to that camera.  I really like the lens cap and chain.  It is both clever AND a good use of glued gears as art decoration.  For me, it's an example of where useless gears on something is proper as it clearly meant to look pretty.

The camera body is a bigger challege, the shape of it doesn't speak 1890s (AKA old-timey) per se, making it a challenge to make it old-timey.   That said, who doesn't like a challenge? Smiley

I'm not a fan of the gears glued on the front of the camera, those don't look as artfully done as the lens cap.  I'd strip those off and see what might better fit.  Finding a way to make it more boxy and less molded plastic with some trim on the corners, perhaps.  On the front face, where we stripped off the gears, imagine another, smaller lens or something that looks functionally relevant to Photoscopic Encapsulization or what have you.  Basically fill that void.  Or put some fancy victorian decorative plate like a lions head or something.  The grip itself would be fine, if it had something less curved-plastic above and below the leatherized grip.  Custom fitted wood molding perhaps?

Just some thoughts on how I'd approach the camera body.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: