The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 17, 2019, 11:47:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Captain Nemo's keyboard...or not.  (Read 2396 times)
infamousalix
Swab

Canada Canada

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2019, 04:33:08 am »

This is incredibly done. I can only imagine how much time you put into this
Deimos
Gunner
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 06:21:10 am »

Thank you for your appreciative words. Smiley

From conception, meaning when I began to seriously consider doing it, and how to even begin doing it, to the moment I set it on my desk as "Finished", was about 300 hours.

It included things like taking pictures of the original keyboard from all angles, researching materials, visiting the following forums and asking a lot of 'how-to' questions: woodworking, metalworking, keyboard, jewelry making.

I built a mockup first, as explained in my posts, but also had to design and build the jigs --8 of them-- required to make special cuts both in the wood and the metals.   It took a lot of time getting the stain the right color, and also learning (by trial and error,)  how to apply varnish to get a satiny smooth finish.
Then the hours of tedious repetition making the keys, both round and square... 104 keys total, 94 round and 10 rectangular.
The only thing I already knew how to do was wire it for lights.

So it was about 90% new learning experience, and 10% what I already knew.
Incredibly frustrating at times, but more than worth it in the end.

And now, making the Aetherscope (punking the monitor) is giving me fits.  Tongue

People will almost always forgive you when you are wrong.
They will never forgive you for being right.
Cousin Itt
Officer

Kontraptional Ungineer

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2019, 06:12:51 am »

Very nice!
Is your PC Steampunked as well?
I'm working on mine now, and will be doing the keyboard soon.
Deimos
Gunner

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2019, 07:19:47 am »

Thank you!

If by "computer" you mean the tower, no.
If I decide to do it, it will be last.. have to finish the monitor, then do the mouse.
Honestly I don't know if I'm going to punk the tower at all.

I don't have a lot of space in my "parlour" and at the moment the tower is pretty much out of sight.
The other consideration is that if it dies (and it is a Dell from 2007, altho it has been upgraded a lot), all the work to embellish it may not fit a new tower.
Punking the keyboard and monitor is different because monitor technology hasn't changed that much.
 I mean, you still have to look at a screen. And the interfaces change but you can always find adapters that can handle the older connections.
Even my less than 2 year old monitor still has a VGA input along with the HDMI input.
Keyboards also don't change much...gamers still use (and construct!) keyboards that use the old PS/2 connector.
And the keyboard, monitor and mouse are always very visible.
So it makes more sense (at least in my situation) to punk those three pieces first.  
Maybe down the road I will do the tower...maybe.  
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 07:24:07 am by Deimos » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: