The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 24, 2019, 04:36:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Captain Nemo's keyboard...or not.  (Read 3084 times)
Deimos
Gunner
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« on: August 11, 2018, 06:29:34 am »

Made my first Steampunk item...thing...whatever.
Modded a keyboard.

Had to go to a keyboard forum [geekhack, link below] to find out how to move the status lights, so go to https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=91131.0 to see pics of the result and read some verbiage.

Edit: you don't need to follow the link...I was able to post pics below.

Bear in mind that this is Victorian steampunk, like Jules Verne, and Wild, Wild, West etc,  (or that was  what I was trying for) and not industrial type steampunk.

It's fully functional...I'm typing this post on it.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 07:44:19 pm by Deimos » Logged

People will almost always forgive you when you are wrong.
They will never forgive you for being right.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 10:37:47 am »

Hello and welcome!

That's a very nice build- very Nemo!

It's been a while since any keyboards have turned up, and this is very fine!

To get photos on here you need to have them on something like photobucket, and enclose the picture url with the picture tab above.

Smiley

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 05:14:42 pm »

You can use the images you've already uploaded to GeekHack:

Right click on the image, select Copy Image Location, then in your BG post, click the Image () button, and paste the image URL between the [img] tags.

Whether you're allowed to do this is another question; be sure to check the GeekHack Terms of Service before doing any of this.

(I hope you're allowed to do this; it's a lovely keyboard and I'd love to see more of it here.)

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Deimos
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 05:20:57 pm »

OK...I will try that.
And in so far as Geekhack objecting, well...
1) They are my pics, and
2) It is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission  Wink
Deimos
Gunner

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 05:36:00 pm »

OK, thanks to von Corax I can now showcase this thang.

I have to tell you that I have an inordinate amount of "beginner's luck" when I try something new, and this was no exception. Despite there being about 20 mistakes in it (19 of which I alone can spot  Wink ) I'm overall pleased at how it came out.

Am currently laying out the plans for doing the monitor....same motif, but not "matchy-matchy"...but it will be over-the-top, guaranteed. 

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 03:32:38 am »

Ah, Deimos, lovely job!
Now you need to "punk" the USB! I got a Steampunk USB stick from ThinkGeek - looks like a brass barrel lock in a frame, with combination. With a suitable connector cable and steampunked usb connector ... that thing would be so much more over the top than it already is!
Grand job, all round!
Deimos
Gunner

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 08:26:36 am »

Thank you for the kind words (yours and the others' comments)...

Yes, I want to steampunk the connector.
The cable sheath [paracord "rust diamond"] is the closest I could come to a vintage cable appearance, so that will stay as it is.

Steampunking a USB connector requires a lot of teeny, tiny parts --off-the-shelf and/or fabricated--to make an intricate design in relatively small space.
It is something I have been giving not a little thought to, and have been searching the internet for ideas I can .... ummmm ....borrow/hybridize/adapt  (read "misappropriate"  Grin)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 04:22:44 pm by Deimos » Logged
Corroded Alloy
Zeppelin Admiral
Wales Wales

JacobTheunissen
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 02:45:58 pm »

That's a lovely keyboard! Very nice indeed. Well done. Looking forward to seeing what you do with your monitor!

Small though it is, the human brain can be quite effective when used properly.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 11:17:27 pm »

Colour me impressed, and very, very envious! Lovely work.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Deimos
Gunner

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 01:16:41 pm »

Thank you Mssrs Harrison and C. Alloy for your lovely comments.

A few words on my steampunk project(s), current and forthcoming....

From my reading of other posts in the Tactile forum I am aware that some members here --and on other steampunk fora as well-- consider an object to be steampunked (you all say 'punked, yes?) only if all the 'punked parts actually perform an inherent function of the object--e.g., the retro keys and status lights on my keyboard  actually perform as keys and status lights, so they are considered truly  steampunk.
Or that any embellishment's function can at least be explained.

That argument is valid and presents the ideal , and I envy the very talented folks who are successful at pulling it off.
Unfortunately many of us do not have the knowledge, expertise, resources and/or bank accounts to realize that ideal.
Yet we are enamoured, sometimes overly so, of the steampunk look... I myself am partial to the Victorian /Sherlock Holmes/Verne/Wells  fanciful appearance.

And that means in many, if not most of our steampunk projects, we fashion the embellishments to look functional of ...something; something vaguely electrically/optically/mechanically scientific.
If its function is obscure, so much the better.

Perhaps to the purists that is heresy.
But Steampunk is not only about function; it is also art.
And art  1) is individual, and 2) exists for its own sake.

My desire is to not have a pedestrian, lackluster computer on my traditional (if not quite Victorian) wooden desk, in my somewhat Victorian parlour.  
If I can accomplish that, with the added gratification when a visitor expresses appreciative delight, then I have succeeded at my endeavour within the bounds of my abilities, resources and funds.  

I am posting this --call it an apology or defense, if you will--  prior to putting up the pics of the [still to come] monitor because the 'punked monitor will fail the ideal; and it will fail spectacularly.
But it will succeed, along with the keyboard, in making my parlour a little less prosaic, and a little more intriguing.

And in a world of almost suffocating banality and uniformity, that is a very good thing.    
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 09:00:12 pm by Deimos » Logged
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 08:15:16 pm »

Aha!

Steampunk only has One Rule*:

Rule 1. Be Splendid!

There you go. I'm sure your monitor will pass.  Grin

HP

* A pox on those who disagree!  Cheesy
Corroded Alloy
Zeppelin Admiral
Wales Wales

JacobTheunissen
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 08:29:25 pm »

No need for an apology or a defence. As you rightly say steampunk is art and so it's the aesthetics that are of primary importance. Steampunk is also fantasy and as such we are free to have fun with it anyway we choose. There are different versions of steampunk and I think each individual has their own idea about what steampunk is and what it's all about. There are those to whom everything must have a function and must be explained. Good luck to them. As you point out this is a luxury most of us can't afford and to a lot of us it isn't important at all. For me, if it looks as if it has a function, that's good enough for me. If there's a backstory (and it can be pure fiction) so much the better.
If you've produced something of beauty and wonder that other people can marval at and can be the subject of conversation, and at the same time be something you can use everyday, then you certainly haven't failed in anything in my opinion. You will have made your home a little more steamy, interesting and intriguing. Keep up the good work.
Deimos
Gunner

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 08:59:29 pm »

Thank you, gentlemen.
I believed I couldn't be the only one who thought as I do; and I'm pretty certain it's not only the two of you.
Company is nice. You may grace my parlour with your presence at your leisure.
Leave your card if I am absent.

"...if it looks as if it has a function, that's good enough for me."
That nails it nicely, and precisely.
If I can't make it really functional I try to make it mimic something or other that looks obscurely functional.
"Obscure" because it's difficult to criticize something enveloped in smoke and mirrors. 

Ravenshurst
Deck Hand

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 01:41:28 am »

of course, it is wonderful that the keyboard does, in fact, function as a keyboard....but I am not entirely sure that even matters...it is bl***in' gorgeous!

Cum catapultae proscriptis, erum tum solis proscriptae catapultae habebunt.

www.etsy.com/shop/SteamdPunkCreations
Deimos
Gunner

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 04:29:54 am »

...it is bl***in' gorgeous!

Thank you, kind Sir.....That is one the nicest compliments I have received :-D
(And greetings from Phoenix)

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 08:02:08 am by Deimos » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 06:16:02 pm »

Simply gorgeous! I'm looking forwards to seeing it paired with the planned aetherscope (a.k.a. monitor).

Yours,
Miranda.
Deimos
Gunner

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 07:11:12 pm »

Simply gorgeous! I'm looking forwards to seeing it paired with the planned aetherscope (a.k.a. monitor).

Yours,
Miranda.

omg  "aetherscope"...that is great. And thank you, My Dear, for the lovely compliment. Smiley  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 07:41:58 pm by Deimos » Logged
Ravenshurst
Deck Hand

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 08:36:29 pm »

Ohhhh, yes, by all means, do bring on the aetherscope!  Hi, neighbour.
SolarCenturion
Snr. Officer

Stand a little less between me and the sun

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 08:06:48 pm »

Goodness gracious... that is beautiful! I'm afraid that even with detailed instructions I have not the skills to do something like this...

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
Anselmofanzero
Gunner
Germany Germany

Custom Builds on Request

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 08:35:38 pm »

Neat, plus lights.
Deimos
Gunner

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 10:00:28 pm »

Thank you, Gentle Sirs, for your kind words of praise.

@ SolarCenturian...you make me laugh.

I barely had the skills to do it at the time I envisioned it, only a little more than year ago (Aug 2017).
I had been taking a woodworking class at the local JC for a couple of semesters, always with the goal of making  a [Victorian] 'punked' keyboard, monitor etc, and whatever else struck my fancy.

I made a mock-up first, from pine and matboard and, oh my, it was a good thing as it showed up a lot of measurement errors, small but noticeable.  So I struggled to get it right.
By second semester (Jan 2018) I was finally confident enough in my measurements to do the real thing in maple.  

Except I still had errors up to 1/16" in the key board overlay (piece with all holes, which was done on a drill press and not with CNC router), bad enough that I redid  that for the second time in wood.
Second one was much better (a few holes off by about 1/32" to 3/64") but I was satisfied with it.

As I mentioned in a previous post, there are about 20 mistakes overall on/in it, from the fit to the [stain and varnish] finish.
The trick is to be able to hide them, altho' some are so far inside no one sees them.
Believe me, even the best craftsmen make mistakes... but they are also very "crafty" in repairing and/or hiding them.

The lighting (all LEDs) is much simpler than some people believe.
There are online tutorials to help with making the ckt, and all you need to know is basic arithmetic.
Kids in 6th grade learn how to use LEDs in science projects...it really is not 'rocket science'  at all.  Wink

One thing I learned is that it helps to have quality tools, especially where detailed work is required.
Making the rectangular keys and labels was possible only because I learned about jewelry making tools.
You may be able to see that all the metal rectangles (aluminium and brass) have mitered corners.    
I've attached a "How I did it" pic (that I sent to some "crafty" friends who were curious about it) for both the round "retro" keys and the rectangles. 

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:25:04 pm by Deimos » Logged
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2018, 10:28:52 pm »

this is brilliant! I'd love to use a keyboard like that...

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Deimos
Gunner

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2018, 01:30:25 am »

Thank you, kind sir, for the appreciative compliment.
And it is a rather delightful keyboard to use, especially with the mechanical ("click-y") keys.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 12:10:33 am by Deimos » Logged
The Inventor
Snr. Officer

Cascadia now and forever

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2018, 05:35:31 pm »

That looks flat out Pro.
Great work!

Thank you for sharing it, and some of how you made it.
I'd love to have a proper Steampunk'ed keyboard one of these days.
Deimos
Gunner

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2018, 01:49:05 am »

Thank you for your kind words...praise is always welcome.  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: