The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 16, 2019, 11:33:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Alcoholic Beverages & Cocktails of the Steam and Diesel Flavour?  (Read 4254 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: August 03, 2018, 09:10:41 am »

What in the drinks cabinet of the modern man [or lady] about town would be  considered to be of a steam or dieselpunk flavour? Donyou have a favoured tipple?
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 09:35:30 am »

This looks promising. I haven't had amarula in years.  It's a smooth drop. Imagine  and evening drawing to a close on the veld

https://amarula.com/#!/cocktails
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:37:05 am by Hurricane Annie » Logged
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 01:34:02 pm »

Steampunk: for the American Wild West /Mexican Early Republic/Maximilian/Porfiriato, any kind of Whiskey, or Bourbon, and Tequila  Grin For Europe and Mexican Maximilian /Porfiriato, Absinthe.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 06:33:02 pm »

Steampunk: for the American Wild West /Mexican Early Republic/Maximilian/Porfiriato, any kind of Whiskey, or Bourbon, and Tequila  Grin For Europe and Mexican Maximilian /Porfiriato, Absinthe.

I  excitedly googled Poririato, in the belief it was a   fortified wine or liqueur I had not heard of and was missing out on. I was perhaps even more excited to find out it was a political regime

It would definitely be worthy of making a cocktail to celebrate it.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 04:23:23 pm »

Steampunk: for the American Wild West /Mexican Early Republic/Maximilian/Porfiriato, any kind of Whiskey, or Bourbon, and Tequila  Grin For Europe and Mexican Maximilian /Porfiriato, Absinthe.

I  excitedly googled Poririato, in the belief it was a   fortified wine or liqueur I had not heard of and was missing out on. I was perhaps even more excited to find out it was a political regime

It would definitely be worthy of making a cocktail to celebrate it.

If there ever was a cocktail named Porfiriato, it'd have to be something pro-European, technocratic and dictatorial in character. Like some sort of Absithe with hot sauce or somesuch that gives you a strong high, but makes you feel opressed at the end.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 04:28:10 pm »

Hmmm. Understanding history through drinks... Have you ever seen Drunk History?

Drunk History - Harriet Tubman Leads an Army of Bad Bitches
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 01:52:42 am »

Hmmm. Understanding history through drinks... Have you ever seen Drunk History?

Drunk History - Harriet Tubman Leads an Army of Bad Bitches

No. Wikipedia though, does make it sound interesting. Given that alcoholic beverage was  imbibed   as general practice, due to lack of sanitary drinking water,  beer goggles iare probably and accurate filter to view history from. Not to mention over the  counter  class A pharmaceutical doled out  to cope with life's  ills and stressors. Hopped up History perhaps as a  spin off
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 05:14:00 am »

Midori. Maybe a radio active atompunk alcoholic addition. It will certainly give you a glow.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midori_(liqueur)

https://www.midori-world.com

The brand  has well executed advertising

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 05:18:01 pm »

Does Pernod count?  I know the company used to make absinthe but changed production to the more modern aniseed flavour when it was banned in France.
Even though I'm not particularly fond of the flavour I just love the idea that it's an ingredient in the gin cocktail 'London Fog'; I mean what cocktail could be more steampunk than that?

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 04:18:56 am »

Does Pernod count?  I know the company used to make absinthe but changed production to the more modern aniseed flavour when it was banned in France.
Even though I'm not particularly fond of the flavour I just love the idea that it's an ingredient in the gin cocktail 'London Fog'; I mean what cocktail could be more steampunk than that?

Dear Cora. Pernod is fabulously steampunk. I found these  steampunk affirmations  of your sentiments on line

And for the double extra  tough days on the coal face

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 03:28:41 pm »

Would Stone's Ginger Wine be considered steampunk? It has the benefit of being able to be passed off as somewhat medicinal because of the ginger, and, of course, the green bottle! Grin
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 05:35:25 pm »

Would Stone's Ginger Wine be considered steampunk? It has the benefit of being able to be passed off as somewhat medicinal because of the ginger, and, of course, the green bottle! Grin

Stones ginger wine would definitely be medicinal Banfili, particularly if you have it with  whiskey.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginger_wine

Stones must have had steampunk in mind with these limited editions

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 12:46:30 am »

Well, the Alcoholic Ginger Beer might be worth a shot, as ginger beer is my favourite summertime cooling drink - 50-50 with ice-cold orange juice, there isn't a better thirst quencher.

Stones Ginger Wine, which I haven't had for a quite some time, is nice halved with lemonade (barbaric, I know!), but not as bad as sherry or port & lemonade, much favoured by elderly nuns!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 12:51:31 am by Banfili » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 12:21:33 pm »

Banfili. That orange juice/ ginger beer thing sounds like the base of an excellent punch. Lemonade and sherry is scraping the barrel  ; }

I recall as a child when the home made ginger beer bug  was going round.  A neighbour mum had a row of bottles   on a plank in the basement. One morning , one by one  they all  exploded and shot the or lids off. She put them on the lawn to  erupt  in a fow of fermented  beery ginger.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 02:46:22 pm »

Hurricane (forgive the formality - my own name is Annie, so I would feel like I was talking to myself if I said 'Annie'!), ice cold orange juice and ginger beer does make a base for a pretty decent fruit punch, sans booze - I made it for a Christmas do a few years back. Because of the kids there wasn't any alcohol involved, but I ended up having to make extra punch!

As for the sherry, I think it was Cream Sherry & Lemonade for the nuns - they were my great-aunts, and one in particular had a liking for the odd drink - it really sounds a bit disgusting, I must admit! Not being a frequent imbiber that would be just a guess!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:48:29 pm by Banfili » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 07:37:18 pm »

Hurricane (forgive the formality - my own name is Annie, so I would feel like I was talking to myself if I said 'Annie'!), ice cold orange juice and ginger beer does make a base for a pretty decent fruit punch, sans booze - I made it for a Christmas do a few years back. Because of the kids there wasn't any alcohol involved, but I ended up having to make extra punch!

As for the sherry, I think it was Cream Sherry & Lemonade for the nuns - they were my great-aunts, and one in particular had a liking for the odd drink - it really sounds a bit disgusting, I must admit! Not being a frequent imbiber that would be just a guess!

So you had a few sherries  and started talking to yourself online...

But seriously... My parents and  others in their neighbourhood clique,  would have a few sherries on the patio  and   talk in double entendre. It was the 70s... and it involved bourgeoise ex pats in the Antipodes. They also went through a port phase.  Some of them were a little pretensious. I can only imagine the  look on faces if someone had suggested   lemonade in their sherry  Shocked Lips sealed Undecided

I do recall , when living in Western Australia  for a year as a teen,  that older folk had ice cubes in their  port   and a wine / fruit juice mix in a cask, c Fruity Elixir.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 01:56:51 am »

Fruity Elixir sounds pretty dreadful - the equivalent of today's alco-pops, perhaps, which also sound awful Tongue
It also sounds very Vicwardian, the folks being very fond of elixirs and 'cordials'

I will limit myself to Bailey's! But will investigate getting a bottle of Stones Ginger Wine - I think it's one of those drinks that would be delicious on vanilla ice-cream, as is Bailey's, especially the one with Belgian chocolate!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 02:01:51 am by Banfili » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 10:19:22 am »

Fruity Elixir sounds pretty dreadful - the equivalent of today's alco-pops, perhaps, which also sound awful Tongue
It also sounds very Vicwardian, the folks being very fond of elixirs and 'cordials'

I will limit myself to Bailey's! But will investigate getting a bottle of Stones Ginger Wine - I think it's one of those drinks that would be delicious on vanilla ice-cream, as is Bailey's, especially the one with Belgian chocolate!

Mmm  Bailey's, Amarula or Glen mist
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 12:26:45 pm »

Mmm, Bailey's, indeed! Another absolute beauty for a hot day is a Bailey's milkshake! 600ml ice cold milk, 200ml Bailey's and 1-2-or3 scoops of vanilla ice-cream, blended. Yum! Imagine that with the Bailey's and Belgian Chocolate - oh my!

Amarula - now that sounds interesting!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 11:19:28 pm »

Mmm, Bailey's, indeed! Another absolute beauty for a hot day is a Bailey's milkshake! 600ml ice cold milk, 200ml Bailey's and 1-2-or3 scoops of vanilla ice-cream, blended. Yum! Imagine that with the Bailey's and Belgian Chocolate - oh my!

Amarula - now that sounds interesting!

Well if you're going to do that, then I'll introduce a non-Victorian alcohol: Kahlua Coffee Liqueur.

A staple in Mexico since the 1930s, Kahlua is the go-to hard liquor for shots mixed with milk or used over vanilla ice cream. Most Americans know the drink with Vodka and Kahlua plus milk as a "White Russian". In Mexico it is just a shot glass of Kahlua and milk with the two liquids separated by different densities until you shake it. A larger variant is a triple layer of Kahlua, Milk and Irish Creme.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 11:21:50 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2018, 12:49:39 am »

Kahlua is the base for another 'milkshake' that was very popular at social occasions when I was still working - Moose's Milk! Much like the Bailey's milkshake, but made with Kahlua instead, plus one or two other things I can't remember offhand. Would have to look up the recipe in one of my old notebooks.

There is also a recipe for a Bailey's White Martini!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 10:53:53 am »

Coffee liquor  Kaluha or Pasha, with vodka and coke  was the  trend for a while , as an under age drinker. Black Russian it was called.

There was another  drink with ice cream called a Fallen Angel. It had pink advocaat, cherry brandy, agnostura bitters, vodka or gin, lemonade and cream or  ice cream. My parents used th o drink it on special occasions.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 11:50:31 am »

Didn't drink at all when I was younger, and not often now, so it's all new!
I was looking at glasses on the Bailey's page this morning - heaps of recipes for cocktails and other delicious stuff! None of which is steamy, but ...! Grin
Ravenshurst
Deck Hand

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 02:35:09 am »

I am not entirely certain that a diesel liquor would taste....oh....wait....never mind.

Pimm's?

Cum catapultae proscriptis, erum tum solis proscriptae catapultae habebunt.

www.etsy.com/shop/SteamdPunkCreations
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2018, 04:38:33 am »

Gin, Gordon's? Porter/Stout? Beer, of course!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: