The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 20, 2019, 02:00:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Are  mobile food vendors steampunk?
Steampunk - 2 (28.6%)
Dieselpunk - 2 (28.6%)
Entertaining Food Vendors - 3 (42.9%)
Pretentious and over priced - 0 (0%)
Best avoided for health reasons - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Mobile Food trucks Steampunk?  (Read 2814 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2018, 04:53:47 am »

I suspect the chief ingredient in all NZ sausages  is saw dust.

But when you consider what the alternatives could be, ('haven't seen any strays round here for ages …..') perhaps that isn't so bad Cheesy.

What does classic kiwi kai consists of?  I see a couple of the pics feature seafood, does it include meat dishes too?

Cora. New Zealand traditional food  [Kiwi Kai) incorporates  the traditional  food eaten by the original inhabitants Maori  and the  colonial setters predominantly  Scots, English, Irish, alongside  more modern adaptions.  

It encompasses fish n chips, meat pies, sausage rolls slathered in tomato sauce,  roast lamb, kumara, pavlova,  ice cream,  fruit salad, whipped cream.  Onto more exotic sounding   kai moana (sea food)  kina sea urchin, fish dishes, shellfish, mutton bird, accompanied  by fern shoots, puha plant  and various  " weeds", tree leaves and berries.   Most native birds are  endangered and or protected from hunting.  We have no native mammals.  Maori and settlers brought pigs.  Sheep and cattle followed

Hangi, meat and vege cooked in the ground with hot rocks,  is a popular  special occasion or group gathering   cooking method as is the spit roast..

Maori  remedies, flavourings and accompaniments  are  receiving greater popularity.  Horipito, kawakawa, pikopiko, manuka

https://media.newzealand.com/en/story-ideas/kai-indigenous-maori-food-ingredients/

[url=https://www.newzealand.com/int/feature/indigenous-maori-food-ingredients/]https://www.newzealand.com/int/feature/indigenous-maori-food-ingredients/[/url]

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 04:55:18 am by Hurricane Annie » Logged
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2018, 05:23:10 am »

While I don't agree that the modern food carts we see in the street are Steampunk, I believe they could be Dieselpunk or more appropriately Atompunk, due to the fact that is when the world saw them first.

Having said that, the idea itself of a mobile food cart is much much older, probably dating back centuries into the mediaeval period if not much older. Simply because street food vendors have always existed.

As far as the Steampunk period is concerned, there was one notable case of a food cart that comes very close to the 20th century type :the Chuck Wagon :

Are you suggesting street vending is the oldest profession?  {it probably is}

In NZ the leading frozen vege  company [ not that is has much competition] puts out  a corn, ampsicum, pea, celery and onion combo called "chuck wagon corn".  It's a handy go to  ingredient  for  so many meals.

You know what? Apparently "Chuck Wagon Corn" is a thing in the US. There's a recipe (from a Georgia (state) pharmaceutical company  Huh ), and at least one frozen veg product (Washington State) with that name. Honestly, I've never heard from it. To me it looks like your regular "Del Monte Brand canned vegetable medley"

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2018, 06:37:23 am »

But when you consider what the alternatives could be, ('haven't seen any strays round here for ages …..') perhaps that isn't so bad Cheesy.

What does classic kiwi kai consists of?  I see a couple of the pics feature seafood, does it include meat dishes too?

There's a joke in Mexico City , that when looking for a street taco stand, you need to pay attention and see if there are any stray dogs in the area. Generally you want to pick the stand with the most dogs around. The opposite is an ominous sign.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2018, 10:20:51 am »

While I don't agree that the modern food carts we see in the street are Steampunk, I believe they could be Dieselpunk or more appropriately Atompunk, due to the fact that is when the world saw them first.

Having said that, the idea itself of a mobile food cart is much much older, probably dating back centuries into the mediaeval period if not much older. Simply because street food vendors have always existed.

As far as the Steampunk period is concerned, there was one notable case of a food cart that comes very close to the 20th century type :the Chuck Wagon :

Are you suggesting street vending is the oldest profession?  {it probably is}

In NZ the leading frozen vege  company [ not that is has much competition] puts out  a corn, ampsicum, pea, celery and onion combo called "chuck wagon corn".  It's a handy go to  ingredient  for  so many meals.

You know what? Apparently "Chuck Wagon Corn" is a thing in the US. There's a recipe (from a Georgia (state) pharmaceutical company  Huh ), and at least one frozen veg product (Washington State) with that name. Honestly, I've never heard from it. To me it looks like your regular "Del Monte Brand canned vegetable medley"

I wouldn't trust food from a pharmaceutical  company  - though it has given me. An inspiration for a mobile food vending  concept....

[Not selling pharmaceutical)]
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2018, 04:12:51 pm »

Cora. New Zealand traditional food  [Kiwi Kai) incorporates  the traditional  food eaten by the original inhabitants Maori  and the  colonial setters predominantly  Scots, English, Irish, alongside  more modern adaptions.  

It encompasses fish n chips, meat pies, sausage rolls slathered in tomato sauce,  roast lamb, kumara, pavlova,  ice cream,  fruit salad, whipped cream.  Onto more exotic sounding   kai moana (sea food)  kina sea urchin, fish dishes, shellfish, mutton bird, accompanied  by fern shoots, puha plant  and various  " weeds", tree leaves and berries.   Most native birds are  endangered and or protected from hunting.  We have no native mammals.  Maori and settlers brought pigs.  Sheep and cattle followed

Hangi, meat and vege cooked in the ground with hot rocks,  is a popular  special occasion or group gathering   cooking method as is the spit roast..

Maori  remedies, flavourings and accompaniments  are  receiving greater popularity.  Horipito, kawakawa, pikopiko, manuka

https://media.newzealand.com/en/story-ideas/kai-indigenous-maori-food-ingredients/

[url=https://www.newzealand.com/int/feature/indigenous-maori-food-ingredients/]https://www.newzealand.com/int/feature/indigenous-maori-food-ingredients/[/url]

What a lovely eclectic mix.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2018, 04:28:55 am »

The height of steampunk  mobile vending

https://youtu.be/irJ6QCM7DnE
arcaniumera
Swab

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2019, 11:39:10 am »

Last October we made a little dress up event, but we got a common catering by poptop (though it was very tasty). I can't upload the photos right now, I need access to my computer. I think it's the best option when you got costumes and still want to hang out. I'd try something like this again this summer.

Du hast viel geweint!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2019, 01:26:58 am »

Last October we made a little dress up event, but we got a common catering by poptop (though it was very tasty). I can't upload the photos right now, I need access to my computer. I think it's the best option when you got costumes and still want to hang out. I'd try something like this again this summer.

Please do share  the images of your event. What style of catering  do poptop do?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: