The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 23, 2019, 12:50:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy 4th of July!  (Read 732 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« on: July 04, 2018, 12:13:56 am »

Fellow Colonials, and non Continentals alike, may you have a

HAPPY 4th of JULY

What will you do this weekend fellow citizens?

I remain AYS,

Admiral Johannnes Wilhelm (a/k/a Chief Engineer Officer Julin W. Bahlmann,  depending on my mood  Grin)
United States Airship Orca.

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 04:34:45 am »

A happy Independence Day to our southerly neighbo(u)rs.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 08:19:01 am »

A Merry Treason Day to all you colonials!

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 08:23:02 pm »

Thank you both. Seems my compatriots were very silent this 4th. I wonder why.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 04:16:03 am »

Well I forgot it was the fourth...We've been in Belize all week. I think Wednesday was the day we did the really challenging cave trek.

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 04:46:50 am »

Well I forgot it was the fourth...We've been in Belize all week. I think Wednesday was the day we did the really challenging cave trek.

I'm glad to hear that was the reason. But I still felt this 4th of July was more sombre than in other years. Perhaps because it was in the middle of the week.

Speaking of Latin America, I was thinking that perhaps I should start a "Travel Thread" here in Off Topic on YouTube video blogs posted by people who have travelled the world. Most of us don't have the money or time to travel. When I was posting in the Steamy Buildings thread I never looked for video blogs (plus they are not very informative - more the touristy type), but they offer a wonderful "on the ground" glimpse of what those countries look like.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 06:09:27 am »

I've only gotten to travel because my mom tells us to clear some time, we are going on a trip. Two years ago, Antigua, Guatamala, last year, the kids went to the Galapagos islands with her ( too long for us grown ups to get off work), and this year Belize. My mom is awesome!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 06:52:28 am »

I've only gotten to travel because my mom tells us to clear some time, we are going on a trip. Two years ago, Antigua, Guatamala, last year, the kids went to the Galapagos islands with her ( too long for us grown ups to get off work), and this year Belize. My mom is awesome!

Then you're lucky. Honestly, if I could cross the border and find myself where I grew up in Mexico City, I have a very distinct feeling I'd just not want to come back. I wouldn't go to the touristy places. I'd go to where the country is developed. I left New Orleans as a toddler and graduated from high school in Mexico City. The grandparents who raised me there and took me back to California at college age have passed away. There's so little holding me here anyway, and the little family I have in the US doesn't even bother to call me any more.

This is an idealisation, of course, and I'm sure there are a lot of issues I need to consider, but knowing the city and the people intimately, and at least mastering the language to high-school level, I assume I would be in a much better position to adapt than most US expatriates when they first go. It's like riding a bicycle. You never forget it.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 10:03:15 pm »

Well we're your family now.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 12:45:59 am »

Well we're your family now.

Actually I appreciate that, mate! It is true that I spend more time at Brassgoggles than anywhere else.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 02:19:25 am »

Been dealing with family, rain and health issues (Family don't want t me to get out and help Dad with the yard because they think I need to protect my health from my chronic hayfever (grumble...), and Mom is cranky because she can't get outside like she does when it's dry and clear, so she's been riding me to help with (translation: do FOR her) indoor repairs and housework. I could make a hellacious amount of dust sawing out, patching, plastering and sanding down a doorknob hole in the bathroom wall, but damned if I could get past the backdoor to help with mowing the lawn (Dad has no business pushing that push mower), which actually involves much less particulate in the air...

And then there was the torrential rain, and you'd think I was proposing a military expedition in Afghanistan from the reaction to the idea of going to the gym to work out. They didn't want the computer on either, due to the lightning, but as I'm sure my FB folks already realize, I did manage to do some of that before I was forced off.

They finally let me mow and weedwhack the backyard Friday, but you'd think it was a mission to Mars with all the dust masks, sun helmet, boots and goggles I have to wear (doc's orders). I look like one of those explorers from the Dr. Grordbort adverts...

BUT... Happy 4th back atcha'all, belatedly!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 02:23:59 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 04:22:43 pm »

Happy Belated 4th Of July:
https://steampunk-lover.tumblr.com/post/172373726860/god-bless-steampunk-steamgirls-corset

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: