The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2019, 08:04:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Are Poultry  or other game birds  Steampunk? Consider the question for a moment
Yes - 3 (60%)
No - 1 (20%)
Other game birds - 1 (20%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Poultry Steampunk?  (Read 6052 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: June 07, 2018, 02:34:52 am »

Raising poultry  to on a mania  in the 19th century. HEN FEVER.  Breeding  poultry for specific purpose took on a new meaning. Once a luxury item,  an industry grew up around  hens, meat and eggs became a commodity.  Fancy breeds flourished  among the hobbyists. It was  a time of expansion. The empire was  growing  and the colonies were finding their feet.  Many of the heritage breeds we know now, were  developed then.

Would the world be the same we ith out the the humble hen?  How many hens  headed off on  steam rail and ships, to be the progenitors of new breed  classifications  and  industrial front runners?

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/people-and-culture/food/the-plate/2015/08/05/the-forgotten-history-of-hen-fever/

https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/gardens/animals-and-wildlife/45-heritage-chicken-breeds-pictures

http://thisnzlife.co.nz/brief-history-domestic-hen/

Brahma

ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 04:20:57 am »

If you want steampunk poultry, look into the Magnificent Devices series, the main character has an adventurous hen....

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 04:59:27 am »

If you want steampunk poultry, look into the Magnificent Devices series, the main character has an adventurous hen....

Nobody glued a cog on it did they ?... That would be  a dreadful  incident...  Wink
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 07:07:32 am »

Here is the back ground of the Yokahama.  One can see how the European public were delighted by the bird. A beautiful fancy breed  from the victorian era.  Originally a ancient breed from Japan, imported via steam ship  and  converted   to the victorian style.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yokohama_chicken

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 07:19:07 am »

But exactly how is any of this made into Steampunk (as opposed to Victorian)?

Well I guess if you put goggles and a top hat on Colonel Sanders he might look somewhat Steampunk...  Roll Eyes

PS. Here's a clue from your link to the Nat Geo article:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/people-and-culture/food/the-plate/2015/08/05/the-forgotten-history-of-hen-fever/#close
While the emphasis of the Hen Fever was on a bird’s external beauty, the outcome had an unintended impact on the American plate as well. With more chickens came more eggs, which meant that what was considered a great “thinking food” was now increasingly a democratic food as well. Cheap eggs, remarked one editorialist for the New York Times in 1854, “then, is the practical and excellent issue of the poultry fever.” And for this reason, and this reason alone, the country should “Let it rage,” proclaims the editorial.

But as quickly as the fascination with fowls spread, the chicken bubble burst. The 19th century version of the Beanie Babies craze was through. By 1855, the market was over-saturated with expensive chickens that suddenly no one seemed to have any interest in anymore. Where once these chickens were so valuable fanciers hired bodyguards to protect their chicken coops, the prices commanded by exotic fowls as the pandemic started to convalesce barely covered the freight costs of shipping them over from Asia.

“You can’t get rid of these birds!” wrote one disgruntled chicken owner in 1855, as recounted in Burnham’s book. “It is useless to try to sell them; you can’t give them away; nobody will take them. You can’t starve them, for they are fierce and dangerous when aggravated, and will kick down the strongest store-closet door; and you can’t kill them, for they are tough as rhinoceroses, and tenacious of life as cats.” While some struggled with their lingering birds, Burnham at least found a way to properly dispose of what was once a feathered fortune–a glorious Shanghai dinner, featuring soup a la Shanghai, broiled Shanghai chicks, fricasseed Shanghaes, stewed Shanghai chickens, curried Shanghai fowls, coddled Shanghai stags, and Shanghae chicken pie.

The answers is of course, automation. Steam powered machinery for the rapid processing and cooking of foul and foul products! And hence we go back to Colonel Sanders!  Grin

The other the advent of aeronautics. With ever larger and faster airships flying about, it is increasingly important to test for the survivability of the airship gondola's windows in the event of a bird strike. Mind you, these are nt very fast speeds, but at least one could prevent the unpleasent surprise of finding a crack on a window created by the impact of some hapless bird.  

And so we turn to the Chicken Gun! A device similar to a canon, with a calibre greater than 1 foot, and capable of shooting poultry at high muzzle velocity....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_gun
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 07:41:39 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 08:18:34 am »

Yes Mr J. Wilhelm. Poultry  are steampunk.  They have multi industrial uses.  And you can stick cogs and other  engineering  gadgets on them. One can even use them as a real and effective military weapon.

Colonel Sanders has a wickedly  steamy history himself.   The least of which was working on  the rail road
 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Sanders

Beard, mustache, cane, reefer jacket . Absolutely Steampunk

The Colonel getting spicy
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 07:53:38 pm »

But exactly how is any of this made into Steampunk (as opposed to Victorian)?

That gives me some thought.

In my neck of the woods, we have Dickens on the Strand.  People dress up in Victorian garb and strut about Galveston for 2 days.

Those people, aren't steampunks, per se.  They are dressing up in Dickensian fashion.  In that setting, it's like a back drop of background characters for the steampunks who dressed like them and dial it up a notch in steampunk fashion.

So I'll buy into the Wilhelm's point that even though Victorains liked chickens, chickens are inherently steampunk.

However.  Outside of the special fancy dress-up event, I think it's considered steampunk to where victorian style or elements thereof in the course modern day life.  Going to work with a cravat and waistoat, for example.  Nobody else does that.

So, a case could be argued that having an interest in keeping/breeding of fancy looking chickens is the kind of thing a steampunk, in an everyday setting might do.

Thus, if a steampunk does it, because of the victorian-interesting history of the animal, it's steampunk.  If farmer brown, breeder of wierd chickens does it, not so much.

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 10:53:56 am »

On an almost totally irrelevant side note, the first web site I ever designed was for poultry. This was back in 1994 (almost as old as the word 'steampunk' itself) when web design was all done in text and somehow my interest in this bizarre technology reached the ears of the gentleman who ran the Scots Dumpy Club. The Scots Dumpy is apparently 'the national chicken of Scotland' and the web site was to promote this fact to the dozen or so users of the web in Scotland at the time.
Sadly the site no longer exists but a revised version (with pictures that don't take 5 minutes to load  Cheesy ) is still there: http://www.scotsdumpyclub.org.uk/breed/

And they are occasionally a delightful copper colour which should go nicely with just about any steampunk decor.  Wink

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 11:14:37 am »

Sir Henry, the Scots Dumpy is a very appropriate addition. I came accross it in my 19th century poultry research  and was going to add it at some stage. They are  an old breed  and an ancestor  to many   breeds in Britain and the colonies   They are resilient and reliable layers.. {no double entendre intended}
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 03:40:38 am »

What a sweet little bird - and if infertile they can always be eaten!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 08:24:44 am »

Queen Victoria is credited with popularising poultry raising and fancy breeds. In 1842 she was gifted  2 large  fowl from Asia.

https://www.salon.com/2014/12/06/the_bird_that_flipped_the_world_secret_histories_of_the_modern_chicken

Queen Victoria's favoured Cochin  birds

She had extensive ornate hen houses made for her flocks.

https://thehistoricfoodie.wordpress.com/2016/07/12/queen-victorias-poultry-yard/

madamemarigold
Officer

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 11:42:29 pm »

I think they could definitely be steam punk, especially depending on the type of breed. The Yakama's showed up above their feathers once molted would be perfect for dressing up a woman's hat or fan..... and surely they could also be used for other adornments as well. My husband is planning a chicken coop but he prefers smaller breeds like the "Bantam's" (? I know them as the banti's)  Roll Eyes... but we shall see~  Wink
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 12:06:36 am »

I think they could definitely be steam punk, especially depending on the type of breed. The Yakama's showed up above their feathers once molted would be perfect for dressing up a woman's hat or fan..... and surely they could also be used for other adornments as well. My husband is planning a chicken coop but he prefers smaller breeds like the "Bantam's" (? I know them as the banti's)  Roll Eyes... but we shall see~  Wink

Perhaps you good man could be inspired by these steampunk type poultry coop

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 09:31:40 am »

That last one looks like a meat smoker... Are you sure that is not a "double-purpose dwelling"?  Roll Eyes "Look at your new home, chickens..."  Roll Eyes
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 04:30:47 pm »

That last one looks like a meat smoker... Are you sure that is not a "double-purpose dwelling"?  Roll Eyes "Look at your new home, chickens..."  Roll Eyes

He says ** rubbing his hands ** Roll Eyes
madamemarigold
Officer

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 09:01:09 pm »

Will make sure dear husband looks at first 2 very closely! And that last one? I think will bring "barbeque sauce" to his mind........it does mine!  Wink Grin
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 12:51:46 am »

Will make sure dear husband looks at first 2 very closely! And that last one? I think will bring "barbeque sauce" to his mind........it does mine!  Wink Grin

Some folk are absolutely dedicated to their  poultry. There are veritable gothic  folly  style  hen houses  out there, that would rive any dove cote.

Enjoy  looking  on line  and in any books you may find in the subject.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 02:20:38 am »

Has anyone mentioned peafowl yet?

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 04:20:04 am »

Has anyone mentioned peafowl yet?

You are the 1st   to mention them  on this thread.

For your viewing  pleasure. Flying peafowl in ancient ceremony.  Amazing  birds in motion.

http://youtu.be/o_FAR1g41lM
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 12:59:28 am »

Ah My Dear Netizens....

Apparently the government coverup of the Incident of The Giant Chicken of 1892 was completely
Y effective..

thank goodness....

I only bearly  outran the lawsuits

But the Sumatran climate did me good.

Yhs
Prof Marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 04:02:23 am »

Ah My Dear Netizens....

Apparently the government coverup of the Incident of The Giant Chicken of 1892 was completely
Y effective..

thank goodness....

I only bearly  outran the lawsuits

But the Sumatran climate did me good.

Yhs
Prof Marvel

We won't breath a word

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 10:02:14 am »

Did you know that there are 19 billion chickens in the world? If the population of the world is 7.6 billion, then every man woman and child is entitled to 2 whole chickens, a piece of breast, a drumstick and a wing...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 10:31:06 am »

Did you know that there are 19 billion chickens in the world? If the population of the world is 7.6 billion, then every man woman and child is entitled to 2 whole chickens, a piece of breast, a drumstick and a wing...

Do we get fries with that?
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2018, 02:47:57 pm »

No, mashed potatoes!
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 02:39:54 am »

No, mashed potatoes!

with gravy, and peas!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: