The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 23, 2019, 06:52:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Art Nouveau for Steampunk Elves?  (Read 1131 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« on: April 18, 2018, 08:55:20 am »

I have a phylosophical question to ask...

I have created a set of characters who share some characteristics with elves. The natural thought was for me to simply follow a germanic aesthetic for the presentation of these characters. But seeing as how these characters are meant to be differentiated from regular germanic folk, I'm now wondering if the Victorians had already deviced a style to associate with such creatures.

As silly as it may sound, I never quite made the mental connection between elven style and Art Nouveau. And yet we know that the lineage of Jugendstil and Art Nouveau carries as a thesis an organic origin for the aesthetic. Everything is made of leaves and flowers, with assymetrical shapes and we even have "La fée verte" of Absythe, if not as an elf, at least a close relative in the form of a fairy...

Is it fair to make a connection between elves in Steampunk fantasy and Art Nouveau? Or am I drawing too many parallels? What say you, fellow Steampunks?

chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 12:09:00 pm »

Well, the conceptor of the Lord Of The Ring/The Hobbit do have made this association.
https://youtu.be/6RjFa6wD5_U

Edit: Just realised you already knew about this  Cheesy .
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 12:15:47 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 06:05:13 pm »

To be honest, I had never paid attention to that detail at that time. There never was a direct discussion among the public, because most people don't even know the difference between Art Deco and Art Nouveau  Tongue But those who are architecturally minded (such as the persons above) obviously do...

Here's an article on this very subject:
https://middleeartharchitectures.wordpress.com/2014/12/21/elves-and-art-nouveau/

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 08:48:28 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 08:41:45 pm »

I'm interested in knowing what a "real elf" architecture and furniture, for example would look like. The fact is that it'd have to be more practical in real life than fantasy, but it's a good mental exercise...

From the link above:
Remember when I said that Elves were very good craftsmen? Well, the Art Nouveau has its origins in the Anglo-Saxon aesthetic ideology of Arts and Crafts, which had emphasized the free creation of the craftsman as the only alternative to the mechanization and mass production of objects. Even if Art Nouveau, in the end, used heavily the industrial production.

I envison my elves as being masters of wood carving from the Southern Germanic lands. Similar to the crafts, like Cockoo Clocks, produced the famous Black Forest Craftsmen. At some point there would be a juxtaposition between the elves who adopt technology (Dark Elves) and the elves who remain in nature (Light Elves). Nevertheless, even among the Dark Elves, you would have a constant reminder of their association with nature, like a lot of wood carving, and so on.

But one interesting thing to note is that the Lord of the Rings architecture for Rivendell has a lot of mediaeval elemnts to it, such as Gothic arches and so on. It is worthy to note that Jugendstil, being the German precusrsor to the French Art Nouveau, also had a number of mediaeval elemnts in it. Perhaps something about Neo Gothic romanticism of the late 19th. C. in Germany.

http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/post/145673333744/no-no-no-dwarves-are-art-deco-elves-are-art
“no, no, no, *dwarves* are art deco; elves are art noveau.”
 Grin
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 09:15:17 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 10:25:42 am »

Unrelated-relatively speaking, but I just stumbled on this insane WoW cosplay photoshoot:

Tyrande and Ash'Alah cosplay photoshoot
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 12:31:45 am »

Now that you mention it... Art nouveau is based on gothic woodland  influences.  Having grown up surrounded by  and immersed in Art Nouveau  influences, courtesy of
growing up in a  country that had been  formed during that era... Elves and nymphs  are with out  question  part of the machine

Here is a vintage NZ  cartoon series sample

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:33:22 am by Hurricane Annie » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 12:45:45 am »

An Australian example, May Gibbs  illustrations

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 07:53:55 am »

Don't forget the fauns/faunas

Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 03:41:55 am »

To be honest, I had never paid attention to that detail at that time. There never was a direct discussion among the public, because most people don't even know the difference between Art Deco and Art Nouveau  Tongue But those who are architecturally minded (such as the persons above) obviously do...

Here's an article on this very subject:
https://middleeartharchitectures.wordpress.com/2014/12/21/elves-and-art-nouveau/

Very much in the style of Alphonso Mucha I like them.  Smiley

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 04:58:32 am »

another vote for Mucha...it's your world, make of it what you will
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: