The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 20, 2019, 01:41:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Costume Assembly  (Read 1657 times)
PandaZai
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: April 01, 2018, 01:09:48 am »

I am putting my first costume together, starting with clothing then gonna modify once I have all of the pieces. I have ordered this jacket (pic below), but I am not sure the style of shirt and pants will work best. I would love some suggestions from the masters.   Grin

Also, should I get a vest?

Thank you for your time!

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 09:39:06 am »

I am putting my first costume together, starting with clothing then gonna modify once I have all of the pieces. I have ordered this jacket (pic below), but I am not sure the style of shirt and pants will work best. I would love some suggestions from the masters.   Grin

Thank you for your time!

A lot of the Gothic stuff you can find online tends to be of the more "showy" variety. A lot of it looks to me like late 1700s (e.g. American Colonial Era fashion, the fashion of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. and the apparel shown in Interview with a Vampire movie) to early 1800s (Regency Era in Britain/Napoleonic Era in Europe/War of 1812 in the US and the period just before Mexican American War in the US).  That's basically two different styles of fashion. I believe your coat is very loosely based on the latter (Regency Era)

You will be looking a high neck shirts with very tall white cravats, high waisted pants, tall riding boots, and high-collared tailcoats (which resemble somewhat the coat that you purchased) with very tall top hats, a fashion popularised by historical figures such as Beau Brummell  Grin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beau_Brummell

The video below depicts Brummell as a dandy in the period when the old style men's fashion was giving way to the new fashion as worn by Brummell, right around 1800.

Beau Brummell: This Charming Man (2006) [Sub. en español]

A possible source of clothing:
https://www.historicalemporium.com/mens-regency-era-clothing.php
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 10:03:22 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

PandaZai
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 06:58:36 pm »

Much appreciated! Your references are on point.

I will be updating the thread with progress as i go. This is exciting! ha
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 02:15:16 pm »

I always think that the accessories can really lift a costume and make it your own.  The choices are limitless both with jewellery (Regency and Victorian gentlemen would have had pocket watches, fobs and seals, signet rings, tie pins etc) and maybe a cane or some weaponry.  (Or both).  The important thing is to have fun and not worry too much about historical accuracy - we're reinventing the past not recreating it Smiley.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 03:58:38 pm »

I always think that the accessories can really lift a costume and make it your own.  The choices are limitless both with jewellery (Regency and Victorian gentlemen would have had pocket watches, fobs and seals, signet rings, tie pins etc) and maybe a cane or some weaponry.  (Or both).  The important thing is to have fun and not worry too much about historical accuracy - we're reinventing the past not recreating it Smiley.

I think it helps to latch on to a persona of sorts. Build a bit of a fantasy behind the costume. Then you can think of all sorts of pretexts as to what accesories you add to the costume, as well as any props.

In fact, you are not looking at recreating historical attire, as much as you are looking to adapt the attire to a fictional background. Have fun with it.

For example look at my costume in the Playing Dressup thread. This is one of two "personas" I have; Lt. Gen. Julin W. Bahlmann. These personas are actually tied to a fiction project I have in mind, "The Valkyrie and the Eagle."

I give some background on the costume for Bahlmann here (photos): http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,35457.msg981130.html#msg981130

And then I expound on the story background of the costume in the "Rave about your steampunk characters/personas" thread. Since these are the main characters of a novel, you have to tie Bahlmann's origin to that of my first persona (and namesake), Admiral J. Wilhelm:

Adm. Wilhelm's origin:
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49108.msg983624.html#msg983624

Lt. Gen. Bahlmann's origin:
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4918.msg983625.html#msg983625

I still have to come up for a uniform for "Old Walrus" Wilhelm. It's a very expensive costume, so I'm deferring for later, but I fully developed the other character's costume, and I've been building on it for years!

You don't have to go this far, of course. I am writing a novel. So you don't really have to do any of this. But for me, writing about stuff around my characters, and doing research has helped my imagination, to come up with the costume itself. After that, it becomes like any other hobby, you just build on it...

~ ~ ~

Probably. Maybe... I think a vest is a good idea. I won't call it a *must*, because like Ms. Courcelle has stated this is not recreation. Again, I point to my post on the link above... I certainly don't wear a vest  Grin

However, in the historical sense, shirts were considered to be stricitly "underwear" prior to the 1810's or so. People usually wore something on top of a shirt, even if it was just covered partially.

A brief history of the shirt and blouse as a stand alone garment...

The first instance of shirts being worn without a vest or coat were among the working class in America, in the 1810's (in the form of thick plaid shirts) and later, I believe among the military, in the 1860s.

During the Italian Reunification, shirts worn alone emerged with Garibaldi's insurgent troops known as the "red shirts." Thereafter the "Garibaldis" as the shirts were  known, became the inspiration for women's blouses (a light, loose garment top, separate from a dress, of which we were (and are) all very familiar with in the 20th. and 21st C.

In the meantime,the working man's plaid shirt attained more patterns and solid colours, and then became an acceptable item to wear alone in the 20th. C, say by the Jazz age, and again probably in America first.

The other instance of a "shirt alone" also came among the American military, in the form of the "Fatigue Blouse" after the American Civil War. Basically a thick shirt resembling a light coat, the Fatigue Blouse was meant to replace the service wool coats of the US Army. This was an absolutely necessary change, as the Civil War was proven to be impossible to wage in the heat of the American Southwest (battles for the Arizona and New Mexico territories, ca. 1863 were settled in less than 12 months. The soldiers couldn't fight!). The idea, being that by the period of the Indian wars, the fatigue blouse allowed the service man to wear or take off as many layers of undergarments as needed, while still wearing a formal attire on the outside. In time, the fatigue blouse attained drab solid colours, became the field attire (totally separate from a "service coat" to be worn in the office), and eventually became a camouflaged garment during the 2nd. half of 20th. C. as we all now understand the term "Fatigues" in the 21st. C.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 05:47:53 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 09:49:47 pm »

If you look good people will photograph you.  So think about how you would like to look.  If everything you wear is in black then you will look like a black blob in every photograph.  So wear colour, preferably your favourite colour.  Maybe you have a particular job - surveyor, butcher, whatever.  Then you can build up your accessories to go with that profession.
PandaZai
Deck Hand

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 02:58:05 am »

Wow, you have all given me a lot to think about. I believe that I have a decent grasp on the idea/persona that I would like to convey but to accompany this idea I want to keep the base outfit relatively accurate and turn it into something retro-futuristic.

Modifications and accessory ideas so far:
-Mechanical/Armored left arm
-Power source - Steam with fusion reactor heating element
-Pocket watch (Love these so much!  Grin )
-Aviation goggle sunglasses

The artistic flare and ideas will definitely flow as I make more progress. As it is my inclination to be a perfectionist, the progress will likely be slow but of good quality. I will be sure to update my post with progression pictures and welcome all suggestions and ideas.

This is a wonderful and kind community, I appreciate you all!
kstar22
Swab

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 05:39:28 pm »

I don't have a costume yet, I have a hard time figuring out one for myself :p I am also a little shy
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 07:58:42 pm »

I don't have a costume yet, I have a hard time figuring out one for myself :p I am also a little shy

Just remember that when you choose a costume you can also choose a 'new' personality who may not be so shy …
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 10:17:42 pm »

Just remember that when you choose a costume you can also choose a 'new' personality who may not be so shy …

I also agree on that. Use your persona to come out of your shell
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 10:40:48 pm »

Yes, remember that every steampunk in the world will be your friend as soon as you start on your outfit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: