The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 23, 2019, 06:55:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Prefab  Housing  programme proposed  as to  be provided by the NZ  Governmental  Housing Corporation
Practical Solution - 3 (30%)
Shoddy Shacks - 0 (0%)
Scarily Dystopian - 0 (0%)
Slum Ghetto - 5 (50%)
Tiny Home Tyranny - 2 (20%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Prefab: Practical Family & Social Housing  (Read 4791 times)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2018, 09:52:31 am »

Hurricane, what was GT GT GT  uncle's name? I was a librarian in my working incarnation, and have historian qualifications as well. Research is my thing!!

NZ wasn't a convict settlement is what I meant - ex-convicts and escapees would pretty much be par for the course. Sign on as crew on any of the ships sailing from NSW to New Zealand - ships captains weren't that fussy about how they got their sailors, particularly after a few days in port in Sydney, or from some little loading wharf up the coast. I think many sailors, some of whom were reluctant in the first place would jump ship asap, and the captain or master would have to find a crew from somewhere!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2018, 04:33:31 pm »

Hurricane, what was GT GT GT  uncle's name? I was a librarian in my working incarnation, and have historian qualifications as well. Research is my thing!!

NZ wasn't a convict settlement is what I meant - ex-convicts and escapees would pretty much be par for the course. Sign on as crew on any of the ships sailing from NSW to New Zealand - ships captains weren't that fussy about how they got their sailors, particularly after a few days in port in Sydney, or from some little loading wharf up the coast. I think many sailors, some of whom were reluctant in the first place would jump ship asap, and the captain or master would have to find a crew from somewhere!

Yes it would be a easy to  get a position on a ship back
then and  head for a new life.

Thank you Banfili  for your offer of research.   He was a William Hollard  born approx 1833 Charlton Mackrell Somerset,  son of Charles and Ann  Hollard. Arrived New Zealand 1841. Died  1860 Victoria? Australia.  He was by all accounts,  a wild colonial boy with a history of erratic behaviours. 
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2018, 01:19:08 am »

Hurricane, will see what I can find!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2018, 02:55:15 pm »

Hurricane, will see what I can find!

Thanks in advance.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2018, 04:11:57 pm »

Hurricane, Only Victorian Hollards found so far. There are some NSW ones, but no William. Only four NSW Hollards registered as dead between 1788 and 1900, 1 male & 3 female, one of those an infant. Not a very common name. Records from the mid-1800s are scarce. Registration wasn't a legal requirement before 1851, an patchy thereafter, especially in rural areas.

186 HOLLARD, Clara Quick      Born Abt. 1860, Died 16 Sep 1941 Aged 81

185 HOLLARD, Francis William   Born Abt. 1860, Died13 Jul 1939 Aged 7979

Condah Cemetery, Condah Cemetery Rd,  Condah, , Victoria

This is highly likely a relative of some sort, as the naming of children after a relative was quite common.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2018, 03:42:45 am »

Hurricane, Only Victorian Hollards found so far. There are some NSW ones, but no William. Only four NSW Hollards registered as dead between 1788 and 1900, 1 male & 3 female, one of those an infant. Not a very common name. Records from the mid-1800s are scarce. Registration wasn't a legal requirement before 1851, an patchy thereafter, especially in rural areas.

186 HOLLARD, Clara Quick      Born Abt. 1860, Died 16 Sep 1941 Aged 81

185 HOLLARD, Francis William   Born Abt. 1860, Died13 Jul 1939 Aged 7979

Condah Cemetery, Condah Cemetery Rd,  Condah, , Victoria

This is highly likely a relative of some sort, as the naming of children after a relative was quite common.

Thank you for checking  it out Banfili.  There may have been a branch  that  settled in Australia    as mine settled here. Some did go to the US and Canada.

My William was born in Charlton Mackrell, somerset UK  6 August 1833. Arrived New Zealand 1841. Died  aged 27 1860 Victoria Australia

I did read on a file  on line he may have left 3 small children behind, possibly in NZ.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: