The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2018, 07:04:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Stop Silly Fads  (Read 2165 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2018, 08:09:20 am »

Homo gangsteris

As for the harem pants, yeah it really looks stoopid. Extra space for something? Perhaps a form of bragging?  Roll Eyes  And it's catching up in Asia. UGH.. But this is not new at all. In fact I suspect MC Hammer from way back in the late 1980s had something to do with it...

Can't Touch This - Mc Hammer

Thoughts of hammer pants did dance through my mind.   The pants remind me of child's nappy or diaper.  One would  have presumed though, that the mens version would have been  marketed under something more  swashbuckling than  "harem".   Sultan pants perhaps. Maharajah.   Sheikh  your booty

I hate baggy pants. For years decades I wore fairly lose 50i Levi's, but it was always a struggle to get the right fit. If they fit my waist/hips, they were invariably too baggy over the lap area. And then I switched to close fitting bootcuts in Lee and Wrangler, and the problem was solved. But I can't imagine walking with all that "tent" of material between my legs. Much less the ridiculous gangsta fad of the low rider jeans. I imagine either the pants are made with unusually long waists. or these people are wearing very long braces (suspenders) underneath their shirts. Either way, it's beyond stupid.

Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2018, 08:27:59 am »

Anecdotally the "ganster lowered pants" fashion came from the wannabe gangster-rappers wanting to look 'bad' and copying the fashion as it was seen being worn in documentaries of prison life.
However, what they didn't know is that the 'lowered pants' was a sign that the wearer was available to exchange favours with other larger protective males.
So J.Wilhelm's comment was ironically a double-entendre...  Wink

Homo gangsteris

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2018, 11:35:03 am »

There was a brief time in history, where pants weren't necessarily worn front way front...
These two little rappers jumped around with reversed pants.  Cheesy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=010KyIQjkTk

I'm waiting for the day where wearing pants as a hat comes in fashion.
Some Belgian children show tells me it's going to come pretty soon.  Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_5ohXK19ZQ

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2018, 08:35:35 pm »

There was a brief time in history, where pants weren't necessarily worn front way front...
These two little rappers jumped around with reversed pants.  Cheesy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=010KyIQjkTk

I'm waiting for the day where wearing pants as a hat comes in fashion.
Some Belgian children show tells me it's going to come pretty soon.  Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_5ohXK1r9ZQ

No good will come of any of it!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2018, 08:50:02 pm »

Homo gangsteris

As for the harem pants, yeah it really looks stoopid. Extra space for something? Perhaps a form of bragging?  Roll Eyes  And it's catching up in Asia. UGH.. But this is not new at all. In fact I suspect MC Hammer from way back in the late 1980s had something to do with it...

Can't Touch This - Mc Hammer

Thoughts of hammer pants did dance through my mind.   The pants remind me of child's nappy or diaper.  One would  have presumed though, that the mens version would have been  marketed under something more  swashbuckling than  "harem".   Sultan pants perhaps. Maharajah.   Sheikh  your booty

I hate baggy pants. For years decades I wore fairly lose 50i Levi's, but it was always a struggle to get the right fit. If they fit my waist/hips, they were invariably too baggy over the lap area. And then I switched to close fitting bootcuts in Lee and Wrangler, and the problem was solved. But I can't imagine walking with all that "tent" of material between my legs. Much less the ridiculous gangsta fad of the low rider jeans. I imagine either the pants are made with unusually long waists. or these people are wearing very long braces (suspenders) underneath their shirts. Either way, it's beyond stupid.

501 are only for the very medium sized. There is a reason jeans moved on...

In my younger days my sister and I used to by black corduroy jeans and take the legs in. My mother was mortified  by iits provocity.  Dad didn't like women wearing trousers under any circumstances.

My tiny 14yr older sister, heavily into the punk thing,  used to take off in a pair of our large fathers old 1960s pleat front  plaid pants, cinched at the waist, baggy and a cut off sleeved school uniform blouse, white sneakers.  I thought she looked  amazing. She really had a style.

Dad,  however was  completely enraged and would chase her down the road  yelling out -" your not going out dressed like that /@&$#"
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2018, 09:15:16 pm »

501 are only for the very medium sized. There is a reason jeans moved on...

And you have hit it on the head.
Jeans started as work pants, and eventually devolved into a “fashion thing” .
It happens thru history.
In Japan common under ware became outer ware , I forget which shirt it was... caused a scandal until suddenly it became accepted as the norm. Harem pants are little more than an ankle length skirt sewn shut at the hem with holes for the feet. Until it changed lol .

I call this stuff Juvenile Fashion Rebellion.
It is all basically the kids rebelling against “the establishment” , and is only a fashion in their eyes.
I believe it is more a “look” than fashion.

Remember the “I am wearing rags as clothes” fad? Who was it, the teenage Madonna or someone?

I continue to maintain that the current fads and looks are a means of allowing the child to continue, and not mature into an adult. Boys ball caps instead of proper fedoras. Jeans instead of dress slacks. Sneakers instead of leather shoes. T-shirt’s instead of actual shirts. Athletic ware as clothing to go shopping in.

It becomes obvious. They refuse to grow up.

What is hilarious to me is , as they age, they cater to themselves (witness the trends in California companies) which reinforces only the lack of maturity, the “child society”... what brings it all to a screeching halt is when they finally come head to head in some business negotiation with truly mature adults (often cutthroat) , often from other regions, esp Eu or Asia, and the kids wonder why the are not taken seriously and fail catastrophically.

Oooh that got dark fast .... and it just “pants” ....

Dad,  however was  completely enraged and would chase her down the road  yelling out -" your not going out dressed like that /@&$#"

Not out of the house ....  oops too late

Yhs
Prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2018, 07:11:06 am »

I object!

On two counts:

1. Dear professor. Look around. We are all dressed up to the nines in fantasy attire. We are not grown-ups. At least not mentally.

2. What exactly does it mean to be a grown-up anyway? It seems to me to be a definition as nebulous as that for intelligence or even sentience. We have no clue what any one of those terms really mean. Look around you. See the chief of the grown-ups throwing a tantrum on twitter? See another chief of growns up in the forest launching rockets and dreaming of giant mushrooms in the sky? And the other grown up in the land of snow playing cloak and dagger and making crazy drinks with his chemistry set?

See all the adults kneeling, pleading for a father in the heavens to fix all their problems? Promising to behave well if they get what they want?

Grown-ups? Really? I don't think so. Looks more like Lord of the Flies to me. Adulthood is just an illusion.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 07:14:33 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2018, 06:29:38 pm »

I object!
Hear, hear!

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2018, 07:54:54 pm »

I meant "Objection." But this further supports my thesis. We are not adults!  Grin
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2018, 07:36:59 pm »

A bit late in saying so, I guess, but I wear my old dress jeans, altered and darned on the legs, with my period/AKA "Runaway Scrape" getup for when I perform with the dulcimers at period and/or living history venues.

You see, I'm kind of fidgety at the best of times, whether I'm sitting in traffic, or waiting for an announcer to finally get through with their long-winded introductions, speeches, what have you. That, and i tend to carry a medium sized trapper pocket knife by habit, usually in one back pocket ... So, the stress-wrinkles on the thighs, and knees, posterior, shins, etc. of my dress jeans get worn through and rip open when they finally wear to a certain point - which when sewn back up, looks remarkably similar to a once-common soldier's wardrobe problem, namely sword, bayonet and bullet rips and holes from leg wounds and near-misses from projectiles and bladed weapons (as well as common thorn and briar damage). I even have one pair that got sliced open in the shins when I got a bit too adventurous while cutting grass with the machete around the trailer in the back yard once *haarrumphlongboringstoryhaaaruuMMPH!*

Sometimes, I look at these kids' newfangled, mangled jeans and think they look like they faced a particularly sadistic would-be Musketeer!

So much for my self-indulgent interruption. We now return you to your regular flow of conversation...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 07:40:27 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2018, 09:55:49 pm »

Please join me in observing National There Cannot Possibly Be This Many National Days Of Things Day, all day, every day.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2018, 10:37:18 pm »

Please join me in observing National There Cannot Possibly Be This Many National Days Of Things Day, all day, every day.

Or National No Holiday Day for short.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2018, 04:00:32 am »

I hereby declare International Nothing Day. A day to not have any special days for anything. For one day.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2018, 05:19:00 pm »

Its motto could be 'Move along please, nothing to see here'  Cheesy

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2018, 05:39:15 pm »

I hereby declare International Nothing Day. A day to not have any special days for anything. For one day.

This message is sponsored by Grumpy Cat  Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: