The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 23, 2019, 01:03:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question:  Are the exclusive London Mews homes and Townhouses  steampunk, dieselpunk  or just old?
Steampunk - 0 (0%)
Dieselpunk - 0 (0%)
Heritage - 9 (75%)
Barn Renovations - 1 (8.3%)
Boring Georgian Architecture - 0 (0%)
Glamorous Living - 2 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: London Mews & Townhouse - Mayfair and Belgravia :Steampunk or No -  (Read 1560 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: March 24, 2018, 11:11:59 am »

Rock stars,actors, spies, foreign dignitaries and other wild  eccentrics  live in  these homes.  I've been lent a renewed interest in such residences after  reading  another celebrity auto biography  and revisiting other  scandals from a previous era.  It has co incided with a search for inspiration  for a re vamp of the Hurricane  abode to enhance its  more exclusive luxe appearance.  [OK so its  really a  series of add ons, the main dwelling  a prefab house, transported from a ex  military base decades ago]. Its about the paint colour, window treatments , door style,  entrance planting, planters,  fencing & gates etc, the little touches that are the hallmark of a luxury status  property.

To those  familiar  with the streets of Mayfair, Belgravia, Eaton square  et al - what is it that stands out about these residential addresses . What special features  give  them their identity and point of difference ?

http://www.lurotbrand.co.uk/mews-gems/what-is-a-mews

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townhouse_(Great_Britain)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mews
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 12:23:19 pm »

Maybe I just watched to many  bad British 70s movies , episodes of the Professionals and Upstairs Downstairs

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 06:14:33 pm »

I'd call it "Heritage." It isn't really "Steampunk" until you add a bit of external steam ductwork.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 07:28:13 pm »

My experience living in a mews house (for all of six weeks whilst it was being worked upon) suggests there should be another option in the poll.  "Jerry-built"....

Now a mews house, I reckon, is eminently steampunk-able.  Not steampunk straight off, but certainly a good candidate for being steampunked.  There's a surprising amount of internal volume and you can really do wonderful things with them.  The one I spent some time in, for instance, had a glass octagonal dome over the dining room (which would originally have been a courtyard and which was filled in later), a small study/ library formed from a series of archways which gave an interesting effect of a room within a room, and a conservatory lantern on the roof. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 11:08:11 pm »

My experience living in a mews house (for all of six weeks whilst it was being worked upon) suggests there should be another option in the poll.  "Jerry-built"....

Now a mews house, I reckon, is eminently steampunk-able.  Not steampunk straight off, but certainly a good candidate for being steampunked.  There's a surprising amount of internal volume and you can really do wonderful things with them.  The one I spent some time in, for instance, had a glass octagonal dome over the dining room (which would originally have been a courtyard and which was filled in later), a small study/ library formed from a series of archways which gave an interesting effect of a room within a room, and a conservatory lantern on the roof. 

The rows of homes are an interesting heritage  housing program.  Affluent peoples mass built mansions projects.  It does not surprise  to find they were " Jerry built"  or thrown up in a less than craftsman like  quality.  The same happens today.  Accross Britain and the US they were  often torn down in short time and replaced by bigger  bold homes.

The tenuous [ extremely loose]  link with steam or dieselpunk  was their  connection via era and location to steam train travel  and stations  as a mode of transport I  the early part of the 19th century.   Along with the  mid 20 th century renovation   and  remodeling of the mews  from stables to  exclusive apartments, as horse travel made way for   petrol driven engines.

Both the mews and the town house rows could be a  classic canvas for steam or diesel influenced re invention
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 12:18:54 am »

Transitional times

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 11:52:11 am »

Having worked in those areas for 15 years I would have another name for them.
But that's more based on the attitudes of a lot of the people that live in them.
So I won't go into that.  Wink

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 06:27:50 pm »

But that's more based on the attitudes of a lot of the people that live in them.

Is there a certain something one just can't cleanse out of a  redecorated stable...
glensy
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 03:16:05 pm »

wait... I think I need more detail hahaha. I think I've bought into the romanticism of it all! All dreams though, all dreams.

https://www.rarespace.co/mews
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 04:28:59 am »

wait... I think I need more detail hahaha. I think I've bought into the romanticism of it all! All dreams though, all dreams.

https://www.rarespace.co/mews

Fairy tales have been woven around  the mews. Peter Pan  flew around in the London mews.

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 12:03:09 pm »

As Queen Victoria said, "We are a city in Canada, we are a waterfall in Zambia, but we are not a mews."
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 12:26:15 pm »

As Queen Victoria said, "We are a city in Canada, we are a waterfall in Zambia, but we are not a mews."

If only there was a  kudos button

One wonders what One would think of the servants quarters and stables becoming the exclusive sought after residences of her descendents  and  their pals
annevpreussen
Gunner
United States United States

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 04:52:56 pm »

Maybe more heritage than steampunk, but I feel they could be so easily adapted to the discerning steampunk gentleperson's taste. Steampunk or not, though, I want to live there!

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 06:20:42 pm »

Maybe more heritage than steampunk, but I feel they could be so easily adapted to the discerning steampunk gentleperson's taste. Steampunk or not, though, I want to live there!

There is something compelling about the residential addresses. That many rock stars and oil Sheiks  can't be wrong

There is definitely potential for steampunk revamp

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 06:36:37 pm »

I was outraged to  find these out and out blasphemy  of the steampumk credo

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
annevpreussen
Gunner
United States United States

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2018, 05:52:38 pm »

I was outraged to  find these out and out blasphemy  of the steampumk credo

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh... oh dear...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 02:18:06 am »

There has to be a better way! No, no, no to non-functioning cogs on the wall!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2018, 08:36:55 am »

99 glued cogs on the wall... One of those cog is ready to fall...

Oh & $#@% rip the @$#&¥€  down
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: