The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 27, 2019, 12:02:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Passing of Our Cat, Zoro  (Read 1708 times)
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« on: March 23, 2018, 08:25:11 am »

Zorro (The Fox)
http://tinypix.top/i/gFdI

After a 3 year battle with bladder cancer and a 9 month battle with intestinal cancer,  
It is with great sadness that I report the passing of our 16 year old "fur-kid" Zorro.

Zorro and Bro Cody
https://tinypix.top/i/DRrV

Zorro and Cody were rescued at 8-10 weeks of age  from a feral colony in Denver, where we adopted them.
They adapted to "indoor domestic life" admirably, in spite of the shelter people's concerns.
We attribute this to their innate telepathic abilities and fascination with steampunk.

Zorro was a wonderful companion, a source of vast amounts  of happinesswaves , and his ability
to keep AirKrakens away by sheer force of will was appreciated by everyone within a five-mile radius.

Zorro fought off the bladder cancer for several years with the help of our understanding vet and
"off label" use of cat rx for inflammation and pain control. Unfortunately an aggressive intestinal cancer formed
rapidly last July, requiring emergency surgery to remove the blockage to save his life, and  the bladder tumor
along with a third of the bladder . He recovered well and we enjoyed  8.5 more months of quality life together.

Unfortunately the tumors returned ( as expected) and when he could no longer eat or defecate this weekend
we took him in Wednesday afternoon to "give him grace" .

He passed peacefully in our arms, and is currently on ice in a pretty little cardboard coffin ( in the garage)
whilst we prepare his grave and the ceremony appropriate to a Souix Warrior  
( yes I am authorized  - Aho Mitakuye Oayasin)

In our belief system, we "know" that he has only exited his body and is now standing by in non-corporeal form;
to paraphrase a Buddhist monk " the cup may be broken but the tea is still tea"

That does not lessen our grief and sorrow over his passing - we already miss him and it is a tad hard to cuddle a non-corporeal cat :-)

This is the third cat we have buried,  (they are typically living 16-17 years with us ) and it is not getting any easier.
Lately I find myself grieving more for our cats than for some people.

yours in grief
Prof and Mrs Marvel
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 09:17:00 am by Prof Marvel » Logged

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 08:42:28 am »

RIP  Zorro. Off to  the  big  cat bandit playground in the sky

There surely will be a delightful entertaining tale how he got the name Zorro
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 09:13:02 am »

Thank you Annie -
Our prior two cats, earned their names: Groucho and Harpo, who were named after the Marx Brothers. Groucho actually had the distinctive mustache, and Harpo was both blond and virtually silent!

When Harpo died at 15 on his way to lunch, Groucho started pining for the fjords and stopped eating out of grief. We were serendipitously led to the Denver Cat Rescue Society, and found these two.

Cody earned his name immediately with his resemblance to Buffalo Bill Cody.
Zorro was more difficult until we got home and he promptly disappeared!
Aha! He is as Wiley and clever as a Fox! And Zorro is Spanish for Fox...

It took 10 week old Cody took some time to stop challenging Groucho, but sly Zorro submitted and sucked up to Groucho immediately and became Groucho’s padiwan... I watched Groucho teach Zorro all his best moves, including some amazing catfu which included hip throws  , shoulder blocks and what looked exactly like Ryotetori Tenchinage ! Such training served Zorro well when Cody ( aka Coco ) tried to throw his weight around lol ...

missing him already.

Cody seems to be handling the loss of his buddy ok So Far...

we will most likely be checking the shelters for  new candidates soon.

Yhs
Prof marvel
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 09:46:02 am »

That is an interesting story.  There is always a tale behind cats names.    In an  reverse  story to your, I had a stray cat have her kittens under my home short before  Christmas.  Alas the animal rescue people have not been helpful.  Approx 5. 5months old they are  semi tame.  2 feral tabby stripes and 2 black. It took me 4 months to name them as I was reluctant to get attached.    There is Silver top, named after the old style full cream milk bottle with a aluminium foil lid; now he is getting huge  he is the more macho Long John Silver. Wee Goldie top, the runt of the litter with a gold  under her tabby stripes and belly; the top is in reference to her brother.  Sooty a girl? With a spot of white on her chest,  named for the puppet.    And Bootblack,  large with a shiny coat named for the polish. The  mother is black with white tips, just like Sylvester. She told me her name is Shayla, Gaelic for girl.

I am assuming the larger bolder 2 are males. I haven't been able to pick them up to check.

The 2 house cats are an elderly 13yr male tabby  Uncle Tiger,  with dementia,  once an enormous  powerful territorial alpha male of 9kg.  Lucifer  a tiny 5yr   skittish kitten like fellow of a nervous disposition, white with ginger spots. He's on the autistic spectrum, I'm sure.

Pets pick us

chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 12:21:52 pm »

My Sympathy.

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 08:01:29 pm »

May he rest in peace.

frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 12:06:38 am »

Poor little pussy.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 12:46:50 am »

Thank you  all for your thoughts.

I am assuming the larger bolder 2 are males. I haven't been able to pick them up to check.

There are some techniques to gaining their trust. one is offering food daily, and staying nearby but not so close as to be a threat. Then keep moving closer a little at a time, and "ignore" them so to speak - ie don;t try to coax too much.

Pets pick us
oh my yes!

yhs
prof marvel

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 04:07:23 am »

Thank you  all for your thoughts.

There are some techniques to gaining their trust. one is offering food daily, and staying nearby but not so close as to be a threat. Then keep moving closer a little at a time, and "ignore" them so to speak - ie don;t try to coax too much.

Pets pick us
oh my yes!

yhs
prof marvel

I ve beem feeding them regularly for a   a few months.   Now they are fed in the house.  They  come to tell they are hungry  or lonely.  The come to watch me in the garden.  They sleep in the house at night now it's getting colder  and at times during the day. They come up and watch me when 5hey think I'm asleep, the little devil's... But they don't let me pick them up.  They are still timid and they run for it  if they  get spooked

Funny little fellows.  They must have feral genes.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 06:46:36 am »

We buried him traditionally on Friday along with his favorite toys, the four sacred herbs to the Lakota, and a plate of all his favorite foods. His corporeal remains are interred next to his mentor Groucho in our garden ,  and we sang a few of the sacred prayer songs . Hoyawayelo . Both the local Ravens (who I try to feed regularly and who appear to know us by sight) and the Wakinyan were in attendance. Mitakuye Oyasin . It went very well.
Waste ! Hecitu welo!

I've been feeding them regularly for a few months.   Now they are fed in the house.  They  come to tell they are hungry  or lonely.  The come to watch me in the garden.  They sleep in the house at night now it's getting colder  and at times during the day. They come up and watch me when they  think I'm asleep, the little devil's... But they don't let me pick them up.  They are still timid and they run for it  if they  get spooked

Funny little fellows.  They must have feral genes.

SLEEPING IN THE HOUSE! Ok, “bob’s your uncle!”
That they are talking to you speaks volumes.
Don’t try to pick them up yet, that is a threat to them.
They will probably stay skittish for some time, perhaps forever. That is a survival trait.
Will they approach you when you feed them? If so you can slowly get them used to being touched
And petted. If you can get them to a vet for flea and parasite treatment, that would help .
I’ll post some useful links later.

Thanks Annie, this is helping a lot.

Yhs
Prof (tearing up again) Marvel
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 01:25:14 am by Prof Marvel » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 07:29:01 am »

My condolences, Pro Marvel. It is the hardest of things, but sometimes the only thing, we can do for out little friends.

We have the alternative locally of cremation. I had my big, beautiful black and white Spud (16 yrs, 7 months  & 4 days, 1996-2012), and my big, beautiful, blue Humbug (only 6.5 yrs, from blood-borne intestinal cancer (2010-2016) both cremated, and am waiting for the right time and place for interment.

They, along with all the rest of my late four-legged companions, will be waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge. Including dog Jack-the-Ripper, who wanted to eat them!

I knew Spud had a limited time, so I got my junior cat, Pug, a companion for after (Humbug). Now, Pug & I have a new, well (relatively new, as we have had him since 21 Dec 2016), jet black rescue cat named Bran Dubh (Irish for Black Raven). He is finally settled in, and accepting longer and longer cuddles! It has taken time for him to accept that he is safe, and to accept the affection he didn't receive from his original (may the Gods rot their socks!) owners as was his right.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 07:36:39 am by Banfili » Logged
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 07:36:21 am »

Thank you Banfili .

New companions help tremendously! And you get extra karma points towards junior assistant provisional sainthood since adult rescues like your Bran Dubh are so hard to place!

The part of me that knows they have only gone ahead to prepare the way is constantly trying to console the part that is grieving over the loss.

Yhs
Prof Marvel
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 07:49:13 am by Prof Marvel » Logged
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 07:43:02 am »

Annie here are some links that I hope may help you in your efforts.

http://www.solanoferals.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61&Itemid=60

http://dailykitten.com/chat/topic/new-feral-kittens-how-do-i-befriend-them/

http://www.communityconcernforcats.org/resources/taming-feral-kittens/

http://messybeast.com/feralkit.htm

These folks posted well thought out info that agrees with our experiences. As always, ymmv lol.

Good luck!
Yhs
Prof Marvel
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 09:47:36 am »

Annie here are some links that I hope may help you in your efforts.

http://www.solanoferals.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61&Itemid=60

http://dailykitten.com/chat/topic/new-feral-kittens-how-do-i-befriend-them/

http://www.communityconcernforcats.org/resources/taming-feral-kittens/

http://messybeast.com/feralkit.htm

These folks posted well thought out info that agrees with our experiences. As always, ymmv lol.

Good luck!
Yhs
Prof Marvel

Thank You  Professor Marvel . They are informative links.  I missed that door of opportunity when they were tiny kittens  and still catch-able.  I didn't find them early enough and they  were too quick to catch.  Mother is a stray that had been hanging around, I suspect she was domesticated at some stage  as she is familiar with  people and houses.  While still not friendly she has  become much  tamer quite quickly, another reason to assume she  had a home once. Humans have let her down.  The 2 black kittens are far mote reticent than the 2 tabbies, which has meant  they  all get spooked  off each others fears. Silver  has been playing with my fingers  on occasion,  I did make the mistake of trying to pat him and he did get  wary but he has been coming up to me. I m sure it was him that came to look at me in the dark. Little Goldie has rubbed on my legs  a couple of times and sat on my foot while eating, she will chat to me.  I'm letting them take the lead.  Sooty and Blackboot are hanging out in the house during the day and exploring the house of an evening. The mother Shayla will come in at night  and sometimes hangs out  during the day, she will not come further than the  the hall way  and laundry.  Which is funny , because before I took  her and her kittens on , she used to come into the kitchen  to watch me in the living room.

My main concern is getting them desexed.  Mother doesn't need to have another litter and the kittens will be cats soon. Their instincts could send them into the bushland near by.  Its never taken me this long to  tame up kittens and send them off with to the rescue people , I think this time I didn't want to get attached and they may have a genetic predisposition to  feral instincts.  I had hoped the children next door may have played with them and got them friendlier, that didn't happen either.  Though I have seen the kittens scampering up and  down their  ramps  and other out door toys.

slowly slowly catchee monkey ... Yours Hurricane  Annie

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 12:43:19 pm »

Bran, aka 'little black cat' aka 'lbc', was about 14 months old when I got him - he is now going on for 2.5. Pug was 9 on the arbitrarily assigned date of 28 Feb! The vet thought he was about four months when I 'liberated' him from owners who were about to have a hostile visit from the council ranger, in June 2009, so he has my late aunt's birthday as his own. Bran has 19 September, again an arbitrarily assigned family birthday.

In Australia, black cats are harder to place than any other colours, but I take the traditional Irish attitude to black cats - that if you have a black cat cross your threshold and stay, you will have ongoing good fortune, and the fairies will be your friends. And in Ireland, nobody messes with the fairies!

One of the cats in my early adulthood had kittens under the house, but she wouldn't bring them out. As the smallest (and most interested) it was my job to go under the house & bring them out. There were four. Two found homes, & the other two I was allowed to keep. The mother cat wasn't really domesticated, and later wandered off to continue her wild life, but the two kittens, one black and one grey and white were mine until I left home. The black one was killed the morning I left home - hit by a car and left in the gutter.

I still think I catch a glimpse of Jack the dog (nearly 12 went he was fatally bitten by a snake) on the mat outside the kitchen door as I go past, and a flick of grey/blue from Humbug, and black and white from Spud, out of the corner of my eye, in the shadows inside the house, or the sunshine outside.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 12:46:42 pm by Banfili » Logged
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 10:47:32 pm »

Annie -  
I can see you have a good handle on the issues. do not be dismayed by missing the "window" touted by the "experts" . Critters are both individuals and flexible.

And the "experts" still claim a number of things that have been proven false- ie: cats a color blind? why then did Zorro have a
favorite BLUE blanket chosen from others identically made but different color, and a favorite PINK sparkle ball
out of a package of many colors.....

pink sparkle ball:

If you choose to "trap" them to take them in to the vet, you can expect them to be very wary
for sometime after. I myself would rather have their trust first so trapping would not be necessary. I have had good luck
with flipping a blanket or towel over them to play, and after they are used to that for some time, graduate to handling
under the towel, then picking up in the towel, then ... you get my drift...

Banfili -
I am of the same opinion - if one is respectful and friendly to other beings, whether corporeal critters,  faerie , youkai, or spirits,
one will acheve a more harmonious outcome :-)

Also, in the Native American traditions (as well as others with which I am familiar) the average person will most often "see them out of the corner of the eye"  - those who are visiting after having passed over .

Unless one is a Wicasa Wakan ... lol

thanks all, the conversation is helping.
until I start choking up again lol ....

yhs
prof marvel
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 10:51:51 pm by Prof Marvel » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2018, 12:23:36 am »

Takes time, Prof Marvel, it takes time.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2018, 12:33:49 am »

Professor Marvel. I maybe playing feline roulette here.  The colder months are upon us  and I'm hoping fingers crossed that kitten season is over  until  September.    There may be time to lull them into a false sense of security  before a  visit  to the vets.  The wet cold weather is working to bring them inside and enforcing human contact. I woke up to the lounge cushions on the floor this morning.    Someone obviously had quite the wild party with pillow fights while I slept.  There is cardboard boxes, laundry baskets, towels and a  folded rug for them to play and sleep on.  And a mirror for them to  investigate their reflection.

They just don't let me join in...  Or am I the object of their  game...

H.A.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2018, 12:42:13 am »

Mr Banfili. I am sure a previous cat  comes to visit from the other side.  He was very ill and didn't go easy ,  not  a nice natured cat. Bless him. He was a huge white and ginger tom with a  cast eye, prone to fits. 10 kg of solid  fighting  pugilist.  No man, dog, cat  or rat  was safe from his attack.   Every now and again I feel Satan's presence  swirling about the house.. I'm not sure what adern the younger members of the household call a kitten that...

Hurricane Annie...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2018, 09:53:26 am »

It's Ms Banfili, (Ban - female; fili - poet)  actually, but I won't hold that against you - it's a misleading, but female avatar!
I've never had mean cat - somehow I just don't attract them! Have had the occasional standoffish one, but never one with an evil presence!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2018, 10:08:57 am »

It's Ms Banfili, (Ban - female; fili - poet)  actually, but I won't hold that against you - it's a misleading, but female avatar!
I've never had mean cat - somehow I just don't attract them! Have had the occasional standoffish one, but never one with an evil presence!

My sincere apologies Ms Banfili.   Most of my  cats have been affectionate  and nurturing, including the more alpha types. That one though, despite the  love hearts and butterflies nature placed on his coat,  his big gentle appearance, he was meaner than a junk yard dog.

No house is big enough for 2 huge 10 kg alpha male cats.. 
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2018, 11:05:27 am »

No worries!
I had a big, mackerel tabby tom when I was about 9 through to 14 or 15. Cleanest tom I have ever known, but if he didn't want to go out he wasn't going. I still have the scar! Didn't hold it against him, though!  Grin
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 07:01:19 pm »

My condolences as well.  I've buried quite a few good friends over the years myself...

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2018, 01:58:05 am »

Thanks Msr Howard -
Lately. I have found it easier to bury people than critters...
Life goes on.

Yhs
Prof mvl
savage
Gunner

Capt. JT 'Savage' Fehr

TimothyCook
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2018, 12:08:20 am »

I'm so so sorry for your loss, with my deepest condolences!!! Cry

Some don't understand that they are more than just mere pets, they are family!!!

I lost my Axel a few years ago. I had him for 18 years.

I know of no words that will help, it still pains greatly sometimes, but the pain will lessen with time! Cry

Capt JT 'Savage' Fehr aka TJ Cook
J. Rufus Trading Co. - Tees For Geeks Like Us!
Each purchase supports an independent artist.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: