The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 18, 2019, 07:14:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dropshippers that sell on Etsy or their own wesbite  (Read 1034 times)
steampunk market
Swab

United States United States

Gravatar

Steampunkin since i started breathin

steampunkmarket
« on: March 01, 2018, 05:25:40 pm »

Hey Guys

We are searching for people who are already selling on Etsy or on their own websites - who actually make their own stuff to legally partner with us on commission basis.

1) We would list your product on our website

2) Once someone buys it - we would send the buyers info to you along with 50% of the payment.

3) Once you fulfill the order we will send the remaining payment.

About us:

Our website is https://steampunk-accessories.com - fairly new but we are climbing the google ranks pretty fast and aim to be on page 1 for most of the major categories by the end of June.

We aim to serve as a marketplace where people can buy and sell Steampunk related Stuff, so far we are aiming to focus only on 4-5 major categories.

Namely:

1) Goggles
2) Hats
3) Watches
4) Jewelry

Might also include Canes if we get a good seller.

Please let us know if you are interested or if you have any questions.

Regards
Max

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 09:24:33 am »

My good sir or madam -

Far be it for me to denigrate your appeal, but I do hope you realize that most of the folks here are Artists,

And the phrase “drop ship” and the fact that your wares are plastered all over Amazon and worse , many show deep discounts...  this all screams “sweatshop” rather than Art Venue.

Just my thoughts and opinions.

Good luck and stay well

Yhs
Prof Marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
steampunk market
Swab

Gravatar

Steampunkin since i started breathin

steampunkmarket
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 04:00:58 pm »

HI Prof Marvel

Dropshipping is how i would describe this - the artists selling on etsy too are people who need sales.

All we are providing them are a new platform to get those sales.

As of now you are correct that we have amazon products but we are adding new products from Etsy sellers everyday - i hope we can create a great community on our website too and help people reach their goals.

Thanks a lot for the honest feedback - please do let us know if you think we are wrong or if we are lacking somewhere.

Regards
Max
steelhips
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 05:13:41 am »

So what fees are you collecting?  For starters your website isn't that appealing or very "steampunk".  You have to put yourself into the position of someone like me - an established SP crafter/artist and then ask why would I list on your site.  I already sell on Etsy, Ebay, Handmade@Amazon, my own website, all of my social media accounts (4000+ followers on Tumblr) and galleries/gift shops locally.  I barely keep those venues stocked let alone an unproven site with minimal traffic and no history in the community.  I've been asked several times to list on pop-up SP venues and I've declined every request.  You have to value add if you want the community to support the venture.

Then there is the aliexpress/wish sites to purchase the mass produced SP tat. If I wanted something mass produced I'd buy from them not go to a middleman who has to add to the cost to cover his expenses and profit margin.  On a personal note I think dropshipping is a disaster for everyone involved.  The factory has already been paid and don't really give a crap about your customers.  Any problems with shipping - the length of time it takes, wrapping the product carefully or the item going missing - is on you not the factory.  Many don't even offer tracking making it even worse.  You can't even check the quality before it goes to your customer.  Sending an item back to China for a refund is not economically viable as the postage costs more than the item. 

On a philosophical note - I see the SP community as push back against mass production.  We love craftsmanship, attention to detail, quality and unique artistry - beauty despite the bottom line.  We might buy a PU mass produced corset or $7 pocket watch when we start out - but once in the community we want unique bespoke pieces bought directly from makers in the community or we learn how to make it ourselves with help from the community. 

I don't mean to be harsh or trash your enthusiasm for your new venture but I'd do a ton more research and outreach before investing heavily in this idea.  I've been working exclusively in this genre for seven years and selling my art/jewelry online since 2002 so I know what I'm talking about.  Just google "steelhip design" for my credentials.  You could also join SP Etsy teams for more feedback from sellers.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 10:28:32 pm »

The other pitfalls I see:

A. The maker will ship after only having received 50% of their revenue, which is an inherent risk for the maker. I've actually worked in this buiness frame in another industry (import/export family business), handling tens of thousands and sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars per order.

Why would the maker accept the risk of not getting paid the 50% balance, when the maker is already selling on Etsy/Amazon/eBay? As an Internet seller, I know I can trust Etsy to hand my payment right away, and Amazon has a rigid periodic payment structure, which while inconvenient, is trustworthy (they're not going to skim on your payments).

That kind of risk where you are unsure if you'll get the other 50% balance is only assummed if

1. You have a written contract and legal backup, and you are strictly a volume-based factory/industrial outfit (eg a Chinese clothes factory or a Mexican "Maquiladora" factory) and don't plan to sell directly to the public.

Or,

2. You are a rural maker, unable to promote your wares at all (eg you are a Native Peruvian Alpacca wool cap maker, and you live deep in the Andes mountains). In which case the onus of marketing falls entirely on the shoulders of the seller. Today, even in developing countries around the world almost everyone - no matter how poor, has a smartphone and access to all the selling tools and apps available on the Internet.

~ ~ ~

B. The maker is competing against him/herself. One of the greatest pitfalls I encountered while selling factory made goods was to make sure that the factory was not sellling in the same market where I was. Sounds trivial but is not. In the days before the Internet, it was relatively easy to separate direct factory sales from commission sales. Quite simply, the factory would sell at different venues or geographical regions where the customer was not the same as the one buying from the commission seller (eg Decorators selling marked up tile at a specialty home furnishings store, versus the factory selling by volume to industrial building contractors - those are two separate markets).

But on the Internet, after a couple of key strokes, Google will point you to ALL the vendors who are selling the same product. Quite literally if the maker is selling directly on Etsy or eBay, the buyer will see that there is a commissions web site that sells the very same items in the search engine webpage. The seller can lose business to the maker if the commission adds a markup to the product, in which case the commissions seller is competing agains his/her supplier, or similarly, the seller can mark down the items to clear inventory and steal business from the maker.  This self competition helps no one, and that is why you have non-competition clauses in contracts between factories and sellers.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: