The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 23, 2020, 05:26:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About moving gears...  (Read 1781 times)
agoodvintage
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: February 16, 2018, 05:58:30 pm »

Hello, longtime lurker here. Please excuse the somewhat n00bish question; however, I've been an admirer of steampunk for a long time but it has taken me until now to try and tinker with a design for my self.
I do love the look of gears, but I'd like them to have a function, move, and not just be static and though I've scoured the web quite a bit I haven't been able to find a site that explains the proper or best way to "hang or set them"; please excuse my choice in words too, I'm not well versed in the technical terminology. I'd like to know if you could direct me to a site or pictures on what is commonly used for pins that hold them, if there's washers involved, some kind of shafts around the pins, how does one "set them" so they don't rub against the wall holding them, etc.?

Thanks for any advice guys. I just feel so excited to have decided to finally tinker with a design and would like to at least try and do it to the best of my ability with the help of experts.

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 09:36:08 pm »

I've bumped this up to Tactile main because I think it will get more exposure here. How To was really intended for giving advice more than asking for it, and I really need to do some cleanup there.

Regards,
Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 05:18:45 am »

Do some searches for automaton. You should find sites that have plans to make wooden cogs and gears for simple automaton. That would get you started. There are kits out there for making such things. This site is a good start; http://dugnorth.com/automaton-plans.aspx 

I know it is difficult to search for things when you don't know the words you need to search! There are some really lovely automaton that use brass gears and cogs. Good hunting.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 10:52:50 am »

Hello and welcome!

I wondered about this until I wandered onto some watchmaking pages - I always thought I would never be able to make anything
as accurate as a clock by measuring, marking and cutting* - until I discovered that , as in most things, there is 'cheating' going on...  Grin

For gearing, look up - 'depthing' - here, the first pinion is set, and the second moved about until the right mesh is involved. This distance is then used to mark out the holes. Clever!

See this marvelous Youtube series for much educational brass clockworking :-
This one is about depthing in particular but all are worth watching.

I like the idea of moving gears very much too!

HP

* Still can't, I fear  Grin. Too impatient and clumsy.

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 09:29:10 pm »

I you want to keep things simple and depending what you want to do, there is always the option of including all of (or nearly all of) a clock mechanism in a piece. In my jetpack I have moving gears, this is simply a clock mechanism with the springs and escapement removed, I have driven it using a cassette player motor and drive belt looped around one of the clock shafts.

"Any machine is a smoke-machine if you screw up badly enough"
agoodvintage
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 02:56:54 am »

Thanks for the tips, links and moving the topic, guys. That automaton link with the clocks in particular was good!
I'm slowly starting to pick up some ideas and learning more of the terminology. That depthing tool looks really handy, and definitely something that would help measuring things correctly!

I guess for something small i'm making though, basically just a couple 5, 6 gears, *anything* could be of use? I don't have any clock parts (except the gears themselves) so I was thinking of just threading anything straight and metal that would fit through the hole as a shaft and maybe "close it off and hold the gear in place" with something like a rubber washer or something else that could hold it in place?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: