The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 26, 2019, 12:03:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Merrian-Webster Time Traveler - Web Source for Period Vocabulary  (Read 1232 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: February 13, 2018, 02:25:20 am »

My latest find:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/time-traveler/1828

Enter any year and get a list of words that first appeared in print that year.
NoirMagus
Deck Hand
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 10:21:40 am »

That's fantabulous. Thanks for sharing.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 11:53:18 pm »

Thanks for that. My wife gave me a moustache-shaped blackboard and I have decided to use the M-W to find a weekly 'rare' word to put on it to see if I can bewilder my workmates (well, make them look up the word anyway). My first one is 'dendroid', a word that has nothing to do with dens or droids.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
annevpreussen
Gunner
United States United States

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 06:31:43 pm »

I'm a bit late but thank you! What a wonderful resource for writers.

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 08:57:25 pm »

Funny thing though; many of the words listed are still in common use today. Maybe there needs to be an opposite word listing, which would offer all the words that were once common, but last appeared in print that year.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 02:24:10 pm »

Maybe, but my moustache word for this week is 'graupel' (first recorded in 1889). I must say I have never heard of that one in current usage (or maybe it is because I live in the Southern Antipodes).
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 07:07:59 pm »

Maybe, but my moustache word for this week is 'graupel' (first recorded in 1889). I must say I have never heard of that one in current usage (or maybe it is because I live in the Southern Antipodes).

I've never heard the word before, but Google NGram Viewer says that the word's usage peaked in the 1950's, but enjoyed a resurgence in the last two decades of the century.

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=graupel&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2Cgraupel%3B%2Cc0
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 12:17:38 am »

At home, growing up, we had a big blue copy of a Merriam Webster  dictionary  written in  the 30s and published after the war.  There was  an additional words added  section  that  added the  WW2    words.

It was very quaint, with definitions such as "living off a woman's immoral earnings"   and " for a man to abuse himself".
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 07:39:06 am »

We didn't have that one, but we did have a 12" thick Webster's - I think I wore it out! Now I subscribe to the Oxford Word-of-the-Day, and was subscribed by a friend to another word-a-day service!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: