The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 20, 2019, 11:15:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meet Cheddar Man  (Read 2408 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« on: February 08, 2018, 12:07:35 am »

Meet Cheddar man, a 10 000 year old modern human believed to be one of the first settlers in Britain and whose genome has been recently reconstructed. The rebuilt genome not only links him to modern Brits, but also sheds light on something that was wild speculation :his physical appearance. It had long been assumed that the complexion of early Britons would be fair skinned, as it is today. After all, 10 000 years is not a very long time in evolutionary terms. Surely people looked the same way 10 000 years ago than we look today... Right?

No. Not at all. In fact Cheddar Man, whose remains were discovered over 100 years ago in Somerset, was a rather swarthy fellow. So dark in fact, that his skin was brown to black in shade. His eyes, however, were blue as prescribed by genetic analysis.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-42970067/cheddar-man-dna-shows-early-brit-had-dark-skin
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/feb/07/first-modern-britons-dark-black-skin-cheddar-man-dna-analysis-reveals

As it happens, colour of skin in Europe lightened well within that 100 century time-frame, scientist argue. The theory being that over a long time, the human body adapted to low levels of sunlight, and a diet poor in Vitamin D, as a consequence of the change from a hunting diet to an agricultural based diet. A lightening of skin pigmentation was required to allow more UV rays to penetrate the skin and manufacture vitamin D. To put it bluntly, many groups of people in various geographical spots around the globe 10 000 years ago simply did not look like we look today, even if we are their direct descendants. We all changed over time while being full, 100% modern Homo Sapiens sapiens. More importantly, by the time of the Sumerian culture you could already see tremendous diversity among the peoples of the world as written records and art show. The process of change was rather swift.

The same genetic studies point to a Middle Eastern origin for Cheddar Man who had settled in Britain no more that 1000 years before thus man was born. The genetic tree being consistent with a people who left Africa and settled in the Middle East, before migrating to Europe.

Since 10 000 years is such a short period of time, barely twice the age of Sumerian Cuneiform Script, how does that relate to our traditional concepts of race, both it terms of earlier scientific beliefs and religious myths? I wonder what the implications are for the origin of the mythical Aryan race?  Roll Eyes Oh, the sweet irony.

Frankly, the modern concept of race suddenly seems to be... rather arbitrary, does it not?

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 12:52:46 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 01:23:30 am »

That's Joel Edgerton!

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 02:35:40 am »

Without the make-up and wig!

Most western Europeans have between 1% and 5% Neanderthal in their genetic make-up, according to the latest genome research. Blue eyes and red hair are Neanderthal traits!
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 02:52:21 pm »

Why they didn't name him 'Cheddar George' is beyond me....

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 08:20:20 pm »

There's probably a few other cheesy jokes about this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 11:25:44 pm »

Oh, nice one, Fairley!
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 11:44:45 pm »

I can't hear "Cheddar Man" without picturing a man made of cheese. Possibly a centerpiece for a feast.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 02:00:44 am »

I can't hear "Cheddar Man" without picturing a man made of cheese. Possibly a centerpiece for a feast.

Oh. I'm just waiting to hear about Gruyère Man and Camembert Man. If I understand correctly, Colby Man is a close relative of Cheddar Man in North America.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:02:22 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 05:41:08 am »

how much can a caman bere  ?  Embarrassed Undecided
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 05:54:41 am »

I'm not sure if this is a NZ  thing due to UK immigration trends,  its not uncommon for those of English descent to have this complexion and appearance. Many I have met of this countenance, are of a short and wiry  physique and  gravitate towards drain laying and  engineering specialties.  It is a complicated and exact type of  preoccupation, with a fair amount of time spent under ground.  If you where going to mine for iron,  copper or chalk, these would be your guys
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 06:31:27 am »

I'm not sure if this is a NZ  thing due to UK immigration trends,  its not uncommon for those of English descent to have this complexion and appearance. Many I have met of this countenance, are of a short and wiry  physique and  gravitate towards drain laying and  engineering specialties.  It is a complicated and exact type of  preoccupation, with a fair amount of time spent under ground.  If you where going to mine for iron,  copper or chalk, these would be your guys

You mean Dwarves?  Grin  Maybe that Hobbit thing is not so far fetched
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 08:52:24 am »

Short of stature  and hairy.  Introverted and industrious hmm.    5'2 - 5'6 and  hirsute.  That would fit  the Tolkien discription
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 01:01:48 pm »

Short of stature  and hairy.  Introverted and industrious hmm.    5'2 - 5'6 and  hirsute.  That would fit  the Tolkien discription

No, that's just your average Cornishman.

Given the number of UK emigrants from the Cornish mining industry in the late 19th/early20thC it's been said that a deep hole anywhere in the world will have a Cornishman at the bottom.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 10:12:48 pm »

Lot of Cornish miners went to South Australia.
The Welsh used to be called 'the small, dark men of the hills' - if my new gardner is anything to go by I'm sensing a trend here!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 09:05:33 am »

No, that's just your average Cornishman.

Given the number of UK emigrants from the Cornish mining industry in the late 19th/early20thC it's been said that a deep hole anywhere in the world will have a Cornishman at the bottom.

That sounds right.  Southerners. 
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 09:29:40 pm »

You have Cheddar Man. We have Wisconsin* Man...

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin_cheese

Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 11:32:51 pm »

Would Cheddar Man's french counterpart be Camen Bert ?   Wink
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 01:24:17 am »

"Sweet dreams are made of cheese,
Who am I to dis a brie?"

(You sang that, didn't you...)

Lets all just be thankful they didn't call him Somerset mcSomerset face or something of that ilk...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 04:30:11 am »

"Sweet dreams are made of cheese,
Who am I to dis a brie?"

(You sang that, didn't you...)

Lets all just be thankful they didn't call him Somerset mcSomerset face or something of that ilk...

Are you Taunton  the  poor guy
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 09:15:16 pm »

Oh. I'm just waiting to hear about Gruyère Man and Camembert Man. If I understand correctly, Colby Man is a close relative of Cheddar Man in North America.

As Caledonian could tell you, the Dutch they have a Gouda Man, but he not from Italy- that's Parmesan Man.  Spain has Manchego Man.

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 10:30:31 pm »

Swiss man is paler, has a smoother texture, and is full of holes.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2018, 10:41:08 pm »

Swiss man is paler, has a smoother texture, and is full of holes.

Tut-tut, Mr. Bowman! You mean Emmental Man. Only we, Americans, call Emmentaler by the name "Swiss." Emmentaler, Gruyère, Appenzeller, and Raclette, among others, are all Swiss cheeses.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 10:53:47 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2018, 11:01:55 pm »

As Caledonian could tell you, the Dutch they have a Gouda Man, but he not from Italy- that's Parmesan Man.  Spain has Manchego Man.

I'm afraid we'll probably find one type of "Cheese Man" for almost every geographic region....
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 02:31:48 am »

This thread got cheesy pretty quickly....

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 02:50:35 am »

This thread got cheesy pretty quickly....

It curdles my blood to hear that.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: