The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 19, 2019, 11:29:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E-Mail troubles  (Read 602 times)
proteus
Devourer of Ugly Baked Goods
Administrator
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Gravatar

brasstech
« on: January 31, 2018, 05:12:02 pm »

I seem to have finally traced down the troubles with the forum sending emails. The short version is that our DNS provider made a mistake, which in turn made Google think we were spamming, which in turn made our DNS provider think our account was under attack and lock updates.

Combined with a few changes on Google's side that made this very difficult to repair smoothly, and it was quite a fiasco.

As of now, the forum appears to be correctly sending mails again, and I sincerely hope it "sticks" now. My sincere apologies for the troubles.

--
"Politics and religion are just like software and hardware. They all suck, the documentation is provably incorrect, and all the vendors tell lies." — Andrew Dalgleish

How To Financially Support Brass Goggles — now with a subscription option!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 05:21:52 pm »

I seem to have finally traced down the troubles with the forum sending emails. The short version is that our DNS provider made a mistake, which in turn made Google think we were spamming, which in turn made our DNS provider think our account was under attack and lock updates.

Combined with a few changes on Google's side that made this very difficult to repair smoothly, and it was quite a fiasco.

As of now, the forum appears to be correctly sending mails again, and I sincerely hope it "sticks" now. My sincere apologies for the troubles.

Thank you, Proteus for looking into it! I've would have never guessed that!

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 05:26:18 pm »

Indeed, Thank you!  Manually activating the new accounts was starting to lose it's novelty value!  Grin

Sounds like a right mess, which of late seems to be the case with anything involving Google and the words "a few changes"... Roll Eyes

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: